or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 209

post #3121 of 12707
thanks.

what shade would you recommend? anyone else wanna chime in?SB? Slewfoot? GDL? Bueller? ANYONE?
post #3122 of 12707
I don't have a problem with it, Stitchy.
post #3123 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I don't have a problem with it, Stitchy.

awesome! thanks, buddy.

its really interesting you know. these 2, black and white, but seemingly gray, SCs that i have, i NEVER would have thought to pair with blue, but now that i have, i really like it.

thanks to all those wo kept pushing me to try it out.
post #3124 of 12707
The shade of blue is a touch darker than I wear and I do think a bit lighter blue would blend in nicer with the sportcoat. As is, the blue and the purple seem to be working against each other a bit...on another not I would probably have the sportcoat taken in from top to bottom based on that photo. Seems somewhat bulky. At least nip the waist a bit more to add some shape.
post #3125 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

One of your finest entries and a truly compelling case being made for white socks.
I think this entry demonstrates that when, as you did, you do as Coco Chanel advised and drop a few elements out of your usually busy ensemble, you compromise nothing and still stay true to your unique spice. A bit of austerity (sans boutonniere) suits you...

I can't allow this to go uncommented.

OD / OT's latest effort is the non-exception that helps prove the rule about white socks. Sockless would have been better than that. By a wide margin.

But I agree - lack of boutonniere suits everyone (not in a wedding party or at a prom) since the end of WWII.
post #3126 of 12707

Stitches, a white shirt is a very bad choice for that SC IMO - it's a glen check, has patch pockets and a fuzzy texture. Quite rustic indeed. The light blue OCBD works great, you could try pairing it with a challis tie for a nice combo :)

post #3127 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post


I can't allow this to go uncommented.
OD / OT's latest effort is the non-exception that helps prove the rule about white socks. Sockless would have been better than that. By a wide margin.
But I agree - lack of boutonniere suits everyone (not in a wedding party or at a prom) since the end of WWII.

I am trying to parse what you wrote. By non-exception you mean that he does it frequently. Fair enough, this is true. In general there is a lot of busy-ness up above which makes the white sock more of a nail in the coffin for advocates of the staid style, but in this case the lack of those elements made the white sock seem suddenly not so egregious.

 

Anyway, frequent occurence or not, I am having trouble understanding what you mean when you say that it helps prove the rule. You seem to be saying "Because white socks work for him, but he is a margin case, this proves that white socks do not work for the mainstream." But then you said you didn't like white socks on him, either. So I am confused. See Fowler's for notes on proving the rule.

 

It's important to see things as they are, not as we want them to be. I, too, have a visceral reaction to a white sock and would not wear it myself. You and I dress the same, by the way. But in the image in question, there was a sudden parting of the clouds and I felt I could grok his style -- better yet, I liked its insouciance. With the suede loafers, it looks cozy and cool. Since he is playing on the margins of the normative style zeitgeist, there is huge potential for error. On the other hand, the rewards are so much bigger.

post #3128 of 12707
No, I was saying that white socks with a non-sport outfit always looks bad. And this is no exception.

(There's probably an exception for white linen and maybe seersucker - a Southerner would have to rule on that.)

I agree with what you're saying about busy-ness but I didn't look at that photo and thing 'no ghastly pattern clashing or technicolor' I thought 'why is he wearing white socks.'

I imagine that OD OT cares exactly zero about what forumers think and that insouciance, as you implied is much cooler than clothes alone can be.

But I still hate the white socks.
post #3129 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

The shade of blue is a touch darker than I wear and I do think a bit lighter blue would blend in nicer with the sportcoat. As is, the blue and the purple seem to be working against each other a bit...on another not I would probably have the sportcoat taken in from top to bottom based on that photo. Seems somewhat bulky. At least nip the waist a bit more to add some shape.

thanks for replying, slewfoot.

yeah, i thought that. i had a lighter one i wanted to wear, but its in the laundry, and i think this wasnt horrible. do you mean this blue and purple are competing, or in general they compete? because i think blue and purple look nice together.

regarding fit, here is a full pic. i think it fits quite well. any tighter in the waist and i wont be able to button it.

Untitled-34.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

Stitches, a white shirt is a very bad choice for that SC IMO - it's a glen check, has patch pockets and a fuzzy texture. Quite rustic indeed. The light blue OCBD works great, you could try pairing it with a challis tie for a nice combo smile.gif

thanks for your reply as well, R. i hear that technically, but i have worn it with white before, and i think it does look fine, even though gdl will argue against that. smile.gif

good idea on the challis. i actually just got a wool tie that might be just right for the job. stay tuned!
post #3130 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


thanks for replying, slewfoot.
yeah, i thought that. i had a lighter one i wanted to wear, but its in the laundry, and i think this wasnt horrible. do you mean this blue and purple are competing, or in general they compete? because i think blue and purple look nice together.
regarding fit, here is a full pic. i think it fits quite well. any tighter in the waist and i wont be able to button it.
Untitled-34.jpg
thanks for your reply as well, R. i hear that technically, but i have worn it with white before, and i think it does look fine, even though gdl will argue against that. smile.gif
good idea on the challis. i actually just got a wool tie that might be just right for the job. stay tuned!

Lighter Blue, yes, this.  I am thinking a lighter sky blue would work very well.  Maybe a yellow tie or PS?  If you are feeling flashy.

post #3131 of 12707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhors2 View Post

Lighter Blue, yes, this.  I am thinking a lighter sky blue would work very well.  Maybe a yellow tie or PS?  If you are feeling flashy.

i will wear the lighter blue next time i wear this SC. you are the 3rd person to make that comment, so ill give it a try.

no dice on the yellow tie. sorry.
post #3132 of 12707

cross post from thrift thread:

 

okay I have another youth in government thing tomorrow and I think I am getting better at dressing for these things but I would still appreciate feedback...

 

shoutouts/brands ect (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

700

 

700

 

deets (Click to show)

post #3133 of 12707
is this aight?

sorry about the lint. frown.gif

69E361AC-AF31-4B99-BE76-ABBDBEF3F946-2166-000001954B9BA828.jpgWarning: Super close up for texture! (Click to show)
BDEB30BA-4A1E-4110-86AD-B2D92C26D3E4-2166-0000019543BCA26B.jpg
post #3134 of 12707
Shirt doesn't go.

A lighter blue without stripes would've been best.
post #3135 of 12707
this was my fear. i really need another solid, lighter blue shirt. right now i only have one, as the other solid blue is a much deeper blue.

thanks, TRINI. anyone else have an opinion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread