Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:55 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 8:50 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 203post #3031 of 1396211/6/12 at 8:48am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3032 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:16ampost #3033 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:20ampost #3034 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:22ampost #3035 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:27ampost #3036 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:32ampost #3037 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:34amQuote:
You may very well be right on that point. I'm thinking mid-gray or charcoal slacks with a light blue shirt, but this jacket is outside my comfort zone, which is the reason for my uncertainty.post #3038 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
From what I have seen, bellied = softer construction. The suits I have from Dege, Welsh (the grey above), and M&M all have the straighter lapels. Anderson and Mina always have the bellied (and pics would indicate that Mahon and Steed do as well). I'm happy with both - I enjoy the differences, and try not to get too proscriptive in these matters.
Sorry, no clue if there is some practical notion equating lapel shape with construction. Maybe Despos or Jeffrey could comment?
I think that bellied lapels make sense on a drapier coat. On an A&S style suit, the chest will (should) be shaped and curved. A straight line sitting on top of that seems incongruent.
My preference is for a chest shaped in this way and I think that the curved lines are more elegant (though I hate that word) or at least more natural.
Here's a poor man's Foofing of that A&S photo to lighten it a bit and show the lines of chest / lapel a little better.post #3039 of 1396211/6/12 at 9:49ampost #3040 of 1396211/6/12 at 10:30ampost #3041 of 1396211/6/12 at 11:31ampost #3042 of 1396211/6/12 at 11:39ampost #3043 of 1396211/6/12 at 11:40ampost #3044 of 1396211/6/12 at 11:43ampost #3045 of 1396211/6/12 at 12:48pmThread Starter
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1008 Active Users (161 Members and 847 Guests)
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 52 seconds ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 3 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 17 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 22 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 24 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 32 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...