Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 203post #3031 of 1257711/6/12 at 8:48am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3032 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:16ampost #3033 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:20ampost #3034 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:22ampost #3035 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:27ampost #3036 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:32ampost #3037 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:34amQuote:
You may very well be right on that point. I'm thinking mid-gray or charcoal slacks with a light blue shirt, but this jacket is outside my comfort zone, which is the reason for my uncertainty.post #3038 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
From what I have seen, bellied = softer construction. The suits I have from Dege, Welsh (the grey above), and M&M all have the straighter lapels. Anderson and Mina always have the bellied (and pics would indicate that Mahon and Steed do as well). I'm happy with both - I enjoy the differences, and try not to get too proscriptive in these matters.
Sorry, no clue if there is some practical notion equating lapel shape with construction. Maybe Despos or Jeffrey could comment?
I think that bellied lapels make sense on a drapier coat. On an A&S style suit, the chest will (should) be shaped and curved. A straight line sitting on top of that seems incongruent.
My preference is for a chest shaped in this way and I think that the curved lines are more elegant (though I hate that word) or at least more natural.
Here's a poor man's Foofing of that A&S photo to lighten it a bit and show the lines of chest / lapel a little better.post #3039 of 1257711/6/12 at 9:49ampost #3040 of 1257711/6/12 at 10:30ampost #3041 of 1257711/6/12 at 11:31ampost #3042 of 1257711/6/12 at 11:39ampost #3043 of 1257711/6/12 at 11:40ampost #3044 of 1257711/6/12 at 11:43ampost #3045 of 1257711/6/12 at 12:48pmThread Starter
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 954 Active Users (150 Members and 804 Guests)
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 58 seconds ago
- › Carmina Shoe P0rn. 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 5 minutes ago
- › Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing 5 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris Classic 13 Square-Frame Aviator Metal Sunglasses 15 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 16 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in EG 20 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 22 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)