Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 203post #3031 of 1281911/6/12 at 8:48am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3032 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:16ampost #3033 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:20ampost #3034 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:22ampost #3035 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:27ampost #3036 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:32ampost #3037 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:34amQuote:
You may very well be right on that point. I'm thinking mid-gray or charcoal slacks with a light blue shirt, but this jacket is outside my comfort zone, which is the reason for my uncertainty.post #3038 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
From what I have seen, bellied = softer construction. The suits I have from Dege, Welsh (the grey above), and M&M all have the straighter lapels. Anderson and Mina always have the bellied (and pics would indicate that Mahon and Steed do as well). I'm happy with both - I enjoy the differences, and try not to get too proscriptive in these matters.
Sorry, no clue if there is some practical notion equating lapel shape with construction. Maybe Despos or Jeffrey could comment?
I think that bellied lapels make sense on a drapier coat. On an A&S style suit, the chest will (should) be shaped and curved. A straight line sitting on top of that seems incongruent.
My preference is for a chest shaped in this way and I think that the curved lines are more elegant (though I hate that word) or at least more natural.
Here's a poor man's Foofing of that A&S photo to lighten it a bit and show the lines of chest / lapel a little better.post #3039 of 1281911/6/12 at 9:49ampost #3040 of 1281911/6/12 at 10:30ampost #3041 of 1281911/6/12 at 11:31ampost #3042 of 1281911/6/12 at 11:39ampost #3043 of 1281911/6/12 at 11:40ampost #3044 of 1281911/6/12 at 11:43ampost #3045 of 1281911/6/12 at 12:48pmThread Starter
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1119 Active Users (174 Members and 945 Guests)
- › Tod's Signature Loafer WHITE - UK 6/ US7 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 4 minutes ago
- › They're great neither just another sheet that 5 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 8 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 17 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 21 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...