or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 119

post #1771 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

Also a staple look in the hedge fund and private equity worlds. It's an abomination. And in Europe, they do it with white dress shirts, which is even more boggling. I call it the 'happy hour' look. It's about as unimaginative as you can get.

I call it the "Clooney"...
Warning: Not in good taste (Click to show)
9tEsEl.jpgod8wil.jpgGkCwIl.jpg6JUFrl.jpg
post #1772 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

Also a staple look in the hedge fund and private equity worlds. It's an abomination. And in Europe, they do it with white dress shirts, which is even more boggling. I call it the 'happy hour' look. It's about as unimaginative as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

I call it the "Clooney"... Warning: Not in good taste (Click to show)
9tEsEl.jpgod8wil.jpgGkCwIl.jpg6JUFrl.jpg

Eventually it will be, like many other bad looks, a great way to date a photo.
post #1773 of 13400
people have been doing that for years though.
post #1774 of 13400
I do it myself with non-business suits sometimes, so it can't be all that bad.
post #1775 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

I do it myself with non-business suits sometimes, so it can't be all that bad.

I think the essence of the "Clooney"/"happy hour look" is business suit with white shirt and no tie.
post #1776 of 13400
NOBD - ziet er geweldig uit.
post #1777 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

well i recently got one that has not arrived yet, this one i have high hopes for. see below, pic from seller. is this in good taste?
na4e4e9e.jpg
the ones presently in my collection, not so much. ill try to get pics and post them up when i get tonight. then you may agree or disagree with my, advise me appropriately.

Here's are some tricks I often use:

1) Look at the pattern from afar; what colours dominate? E.g. a blue tie with very distinct brown circles may actually look brown when you stand at arm's length and look in the mirror.

2) Do not let the aesthetic beauty of the pattern be the sole driver of your choice. Consider what shirts, suits, sport jackets you may pair well with the tie. Do you have these?

3) Return to 1.

CEP
post #1778 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Here's are some tricks I often use:
1) Look at the pattern from afar; what colours dominate? E.g. a blue tie with very distinct brown circles may actually look brown when you stand at arm's length and look in the mirror.
2) Do not let the aesthetic beauty of the pattern be the sole driver of your choice. Consider what shirts, suits, sport jackets you may pair well with the tie. Do you have these?
3) Return to 1.
CEP

thanks CPE, good advise. i have actually been focusing more and more on #2 lately.
post #1779 of 13400
I would appreciate any comments on this combination. I apologize in advance for the iPhone photo under fluorescent lights. It is all I have at the moment. The lower half is light grey trousers with dark brown nst chukkas.

IMG_2280.jpg

Aaron
Edited by _AMD - 9/10/12 at 7:53am
post #1780 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

Eventually it will be, like many other bad looks, a great way to date a photo.

This look has been with us since the early 90's and is part of the ongoing trend of casualization. I don't like it, but I don't think it's going away any time soon.
post #1781 of 13400

Think I will give it a go today. I wish I had a neat print tie in this maroon colour, but maybe this is still in good taste?

 

 

Oh, and the suit is navy, and shirt is pale pink with a very fine stripe. The camera messed the suit color up really bad.


Edited by RDiaz - 9/10/12 at 3:48pm
post #1782 of 13400
Its been a while ... X-Post from WAYWRN ...
bf5dc5b0.jpg

Manton avert your eyes at my square ... lol
ad59a7a1.jpg
post #1783 of 13400
2LOyY.jpg
7M2m8.jpglVXBZ.jpg
post #1784 of 13400
uhoh.gif
post #1785 of 13400
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

...

o/o this isn't one of your shining moments. Colors are all over the place
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread