or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 102

post #1516 of 13589
I'll use spoilers for my little experiment, as I don't want to step on any toes. I believe that this is in reasonable taste:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

However, it isn't what I'm really wearing. Below is really what I'm wearing, which I believe some would find to not be in good taste because of the square:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #1517 of 13589

That tie in my summerish outfit is in fact a drak brown grenadine, which I should perhaps loan to Beatlegeuse for his washed-out look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOOSH View Post


Maybe dark brown grenadine?
post #1518 of 13589
Thread Starter 
bromer, I actually like the square more than the tie
post #1519 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

bromer, I actually like the square more than the tie

Do you find the outfit with the square to be in good taste? Or does the tie prevent it?
post #1520 of 13589
Thread Starter 
yellow ties are tricky. that one is too pale/pastel, but too rich/vibrant is also a danger.
post #1521 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

the lapels are too much, IMO. The larger problem is that the look is washed out. That tie needs a darker suit or else that suit needs a darker tie.

That's what I figured...thanks, I appreciate the feedback! About the lapels, is it possible to have a peak in good taste? Or is it always better to stick with notch for the most part?
post #1522 of 13589
I find that yellow knits for whatever reason tend to look better than yellow silk ties.
post #1523 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

yellow ties are tricky. that one is too pale/pastel, but too rich/vibrant is also a danger.

It's pale orange IRL, which doesn't negate your point about pale/pastel ties. I probably have less than a half dozen light-colored ties, which get very minimal use, because I often struggle with how to wear them.
post #1524 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoredtx View Post

That tie in my summerish outfit is in fact a drak brown grenadine, which I should perhaps loan to Beatlegeuse for his washed-out look.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Then I approve smile.gif It looked navy in the pics
post #1525 of 13589
Today:
[/quote]

This seems to have gotten lost in the what the hell should we do with this thread discussion, but I would appreciate feedback as to whether the square works.
post #1526 of 13589
Thread Starter 
square is a bit matchy.
post #1527 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbromer View Post

It's pale orange IRL, which doesn't negate your point about pale/pastel ties. I probably have less than a half dozen light-colored ties, which get very minimal use, because I often struggle with how to wear them.

These tend to look out of place when the rest of the outfit doesn't also scream "summer". Have you tried light grey or tan suits with them?
post #1528 of 13589
don't like the tie. don't like gunclub ties. if you want to do a pattern on a tie, do a houndstooth,plaid or shep. check..
post #1529 of 13589
I like Betelgeuse's outfit actually. I don't mind the narrow range of grey. It does look like a festive outfit though, not really business, which may have been the objective?
post #1530 of 13589
Thread Starter 
the tie is houndstooth, much clearer if you click to see full size.

also, when it comes to tie patterns, what is the difference between shepherd's check and gun club? They are basically the same pattern, no?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread