or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 94

post #1396 of 12577
Shades of blue - Navy Sharkskin with sky blue graph-check, midnight blue challis and cotton PS.

picture076ap.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

picture078bj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And all with anti-SF-groupthink BLACK SHOES!!! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #1397 of 12577
I understand that Manton's not a fan of these horizontal stripe repps from Brooks, but does that make them in bad taste?
7880014180_e97245529d_c.jpg
post #1398 of 12577
Thread Starter 
horizontal striped knits are OK, repps are bad.

Guys, apparently this can't be said often enough, try not to let the edges of your pocket squares brush up against your nose.
post #1399 of 12577
in terms of the point vs. spread debate, I agree that spread is a good default choice and that most point are done badly but iammatt opened my eyes to a nicely done point collar, granted it was Anna M. which not everyone has access to but if you look at coldeyepugilist, that is a nice collar that I would classify more as point than spread. Collars that are too spread are hard to pull off, too spread and short points is an almost impossible look to pull off.
post #1400 of 12577
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

in terms of the point vs. spread debate, I agree that spread is a good default choice and that most point are done badly but iammatt opened my eyes to a nicely done point collar, granted it was Anna M. which not everyone has access to but if you look at coldeyepugilist, that is a nice collar that I would classify more as point than spread. Collars that are too spread are hard to pull off, too spread and short points is an almost impossible look to pull off.

was about to make the same point after seeing CEPs fit. well done CEP, and i quite like that tie.
post #1401 of 12577
Unbel, any better with the dots?

Dont know what the weird crease in the tie is, but its really bothering me. Grrr.

6c03ae03-cfc7-ed91.jpg
post #1402 of 12577
Thread Starter 
sigh
post #1403 of 12577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

sigh

stripes too close, too much white, or just no bueno in general. help a brother out here.
post #1404 of 12577
It's funny how progression here is just like losing weight: With minimal effort you can see a pretty immediate impact. But after the first push progress is slow, painstaking and tough to watch. Not to mention that relapse is inevitable...
post #1405 of 12577

stitches, tie looks a bit washed out... just my 2 cents.

post #1406 of 12577
Is it satin?
post #1407 of 12577
I am not a fan of those odd striped suits myself, and the tie color is strange. It looks like ribbons you might see as Christmas decorations or something. Is the shirt white, or ivory or something?
post #1408 of 12577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

horizontal striped knits are OK, repps are bad.
Guys, apparently this can't be said often enough, try not to let the edges of your pocket squares brush up against your nose.

Why are repp ties bad?
post #1409 of 12577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post


Why are repp ties bad?

 

Horizontal striped repps...

post #1410 of 12577
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

in terms of the point vs. spread debate, I agree that spread is a good default choice and that most point are done badly but iammatt opened my eyes to a nicely done point collar, granted it was Anna M. which not everyone has access to but if you look at coldeyepugilist, that is a nice collar that I would classify more as point than spread. Collars that are too spread are hard to pull off, too spread and short points is an almost impossible look to pull off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

was about to make the same point after seeing CEPs fit. well done CEP, and i quite like that tie.

See, I was thinking that CEP's outfit was nice and that the shirt collar was OK but definitely would look better with more spread. His shoulders have such a steep slope that the point collar just adds to some sort of downward flow (don't know if this makes sense to others...). A more spread collar would break all these down-sloping lines and lift up the overall look IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread