or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 90

post #1336 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I enjoy dishing snark and over the top reactions about, what are at the end of the day, meaningless things satisfied.gif Obviously the world won't come to an end because Lufty is wearing that shirt but there will be puppies killed by an omnipresent being, as long as Lufty can live with that wink.gif

Not puppies. Anything but puppies.
post #1337 of 13144
Thread Starter 
I used to like checked shirts a lot but even then I don't think I ever bought a glen plaid. That's just not a shirt pattern to me.
post #1338 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

I wore a Kent Wang shepherd's check tie to my wedding, very good choice smile.gif
I know that shepherd's check are highly popular for wedding, but can you use it for CBD/Casual (SC wear) context? Thanks
post #1339 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citan1145 View Post

Happy Wednesday. Blue shirt didn't look as good with this I thought so swapped it for a white.
7837524112_9da52e8804.jpg

Awesome.

post #1340 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Awesome.

+1
post #1341 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Lufty, FWIW, here are some examples of how I have been wearing plaid check shirts. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
th_IMG00205-20111116-0922.jpgth_IMG00630-20120320-0902.jpgth_IMG00629-20120320-0901.jpgth_IMG00569-20120217-0920.jpg
th_IMG00563-20120217-0911.jpgth_IMG00549-20120214-0901.jpgth_IMG00548-20120213-0918.jpgth_IMG00546-20120213-0918.jpg
th_IMG00340-20111209-0933.jpgth_IMG00342-20111209-0939.jpgth_IMG00236-20111118-0931.jpgth_IMG00234-20111118-0930.jpg
th_IMG01943-20110428-0912.jpgth_IMG01959-20110428-0916.jpgth_IMG01510-20110324-0920.jpgth_IMG01198-20110314-0949.jpg
Now, I read that there's a pink overcheck? It makes it tougher but not impossible. I'd suggest a dark burgundy tie and either grey or navy suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

yeah, its good that gdl posted those shots because you can see how the tattersalls work in a context that the PoW does not.

I find the tattersall to look a fair bit busier than what Lufty is wearing. I like the tattersall with the solid jackets and the donnegal jacket when there is no tie involved, but with a patterned jacket and/or a tie it becomes a little too busy - Luftvier's combo does not seem too busy though, because the jacket and tie are solid.
post #1342 of 13144
Many of the posts on contrast collars seem based on SF shibboleth rather than actual fact. Granted those in favor have done little to support their case, but just because you can't make a golf shot fade doesn't call the thechnique into question.



Will from a Suitable Wardrobe - I would call this tasteful.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/08/high-contrast-combination.html
post #1343 of 13144
^I don't particularly like that combination. I'm not sure if it's actually bad taste. Will is great and he knows what he's doing. But this one I don't like.

As far as the contrast collar, a self-collar in that fabric might be hideous, not sure. Which might be reason enough why a shirt with horizontal lines should not exist. The entire thing would be better IMHO with just a plain light blue shirt.
post #1344 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

^I don't particularly like that combination. I'm not sure if it's actually bad taste. Will is great and he knows what he's doing. But this one I don't like.
As far as the contrast collar, a self-collar in that fabric might be hideous, not sure. Which might be reason enough why a shirt with horizontal lines should not exist. The entire thing would be better IMHO with just a plain light blue shirt.

^^Started out writing a really long response to the above but can limit my comments to a few lines. This is preciesly what is wrong with the thread, a solid blue shirt can be executed by anyone and a thread to teach people to do that is useless--or it belongs on ask andy. Will's combination is far better than a solid blue shirt, but it actually requires inteligence, knowledge and experience to execute. This thread should be about the latter, the former is a children's playground.
post #1345 of 13144
As far as your general comment, I think the idea is not to add on "technical difficulty" to the construction of an outfit just because a light blue shirt is too "easy". You know the Renaissance paintings where they have the people in the painting contorted into extremely strange poses just to show off their ability to draw figures at weird angles? They look pretty silly IMHO. Also, it apparently is not true that anyone can execute a solid blue shirt, as you'll see plenty of photos on this site of guys in solid blue shirts looking terrible. But if you look back through things I've posted in this thread and others or on my tumblr, I doubt you'd think my style is boring, although you may find it distasteful for other reasons.

Your claim that Will's outfit is better with this shirt than a light blue one in this specific instance is orthogonal to the general points above. What I really don't like about the combination is the tie. So that may be blinding me.
post #1346 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

As far as your general comment, I think the idea is not to add on "technical difficulty" to the construction of an outfit just because a light blue shirt is too "easy". You know the Renaissance paintings where they have the people in the painting contorted into extremely strange poses just to show off their ability to draw figures at weird angles? They look pretty silly IMHO. Also, it apparently is not true that anyone can execute a solid blue shirt, as you'll see plenty of photos on this site of guys in solid blue shirts looking terrible. But if you look back through things I've posted in this thread and others or on my tumblr, I doubt you'd think my style is boring, although you may find it distasteful for other reasons.
Your claim that Will's outfit is better with this shirt than a light blue one in this specific instance is orthogonal to the general points above. What I really don't like about the combination is the tie. So that may be blinding me.

You missed, or simply did not understand, the point of my prior post.

Yes. The tie could have been better. A flat wool tie of the same color would have been superior, but that is an apropriate topic for the thread. Quite honestly, I have never reviewed your tumblr so I cannot speak to it. And, no, my point was not orthogonal to the general points above--it was contrapuntal, but I digress.
post #1347 of 13144
I guess I'm warming up to the idea of the shirt the more I look at it. But anyway, this shirt in itself is somewhat interesting but not as interesting to me as the more general argument. You're saying that putting together simple combinations is easy and therefore boring and therefore not in good taste?
post #1348 of 13144
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

I guess I'm warming up to the idea of the shirt the more I look at it. But anyway, this shirt in itself is somewhat interesting but not as interesting to me as the more general argument. You're saying that putting together simple combinations is easy and therefore boring and therefore not in good taste?

No. I did not say that and I don't believe that anyone reading my posts could think I said that, but this is Style Forum.
post #1349 of 13144
Ah, so you're saying you don't like the original concept of the thread, not that the thread's content is not living up to its concept? I'm trying to understand your point of view and have an actual discussion, I'm not trying to get into an argument and be snarky. Sorry if I'm being dense about what you're trying to say.
post #1350 of 13144
Horizontal stripes on a dress shirt look stupid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread