Taken from the Drapers site
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 802
Styleforum Top Pickspost #12017 of 126622/9/14 at 8:59pmpost #12018 of 126622/9/14 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by gdl203
I think the color / saturation makes you think that (like for the tie) but a sky blue on white rarely "pops" really. I'm not sure if it's one of our Inglese / Alumo shirts (if it is, then I can be accused of strong bias) but I like thin striped shirts too - not just butcher or candy. They are MUCH harder to get right in terms of proportions of white - that is true - but that doesn't mean that sometimes mills do get it right. I know I comb through A LOT of shirting books to pick fabrics to get our shirts made and those are some of the hardest to pick. A plain pink is also a very hard shirting fabric to pick - but that's more a question of the right tinge than pattern proportions.
I don't disagree with anything Greg says here--in fact, I think he really nails it--except to say that I think Foo is right about the white-to-blue ratio in this particular narrow striped example, whether a NMWA product or not.post #12019 of 126622/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #12020 of 126622/9/14 at 9:09pmWouldn't say the spread simply doesn't work, but I totally agree that a bd (ideally ocbd) would be preferable.
On the other hand, I think what he has on would be perfect if he just swapped the sport coat for a dark navy blazer, but that would be a different look altogether from the really great sport coat--my favorite individual piece in the pic.post #12021 of 126622/9/14 at 9:51pm
Equal or close to equal width in the blue stripes and white ground looks more pleasing to my eye. As Loathing mentioned, the symmetry is appealing, and it allows the shirt to blend in more easily with the rest of the outfit. The stripes should also not be too wide.
It's hard to explain, but the wide white ground paired with a much narrower stripe is a bit reminiscent of the 80s (just as a shirt in a highly saturated solid French blue reminds one of the 90s). Here's a picture from the 1987 Brooks Brothers catalog, via the Trad, to illustrate. If you were there, you'll know what I mean.post #12022 of 126622/9/14 at 9:56pmpost #12023 of 126622/9/14 at 10:27pmpost #12024 of 126622/9/14 at 11:08pmWould a larger patterned neat work with that sport coat from the Drapers site? I had been operating on the belief that such ties (particularly if madder-ish) were sufficiently countrified to work with that style coat. Of course, it's partly a matter of degrees, but I read a comment recently from some who generally described that combination as too much of a city-country contrast.post #12025 of 126622/10/14 at 2:14amQuote:
While equal sized white - blue stripes is always safe that's not the only way to do it tastefully.
If the blue stripe is very thin - just a couple threads wide - it can look fine on a white background.post #12026 of 126622/10/14 at 2:28ampost #12027 of 126622/10/14 at 7:43ampost #12028 of 126622/10/14 at 8:46ampost #12029 of 126622/10/14 at 8:53amFinding pictures of ugly stripes isn't really a great demonstration of anything.
Stripes with more white or more color can be equally tricky to get in the right proportions and tinges, clearly harder than a candy stripe. But that doesn't mean that they're inherently in bad taste. Trying to find a geometric logic to it is likely to fail as well - why would a thin stripe be the pinnacle of horror in a logical way when adding another horizontal thin stripe gives you a graph check shirt, which most here would agree are the easiest check shirts to wear with a suit and tie... There's more white and the lines are thin... so...?
I'm on my phone so not ideal to search very far for examples but here are some from aportnoy and myself that I think work fine - apart of the photo quality and colors of course
Nothing good here? Maybe that's just a matter of personal taste after all...post #12030 of 126622/10/14 at 9:03amfunny, i was about to post that pic of the NMWA model. it does appear that shirt you used was with evenly sized stripes. i see you also used the other colorway navajo PS. ill do that next time.
lol that it has proven so hard for me to DTO a mannequin. i guess i should have looked at it closer.
in any case, i like all those combos.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 11 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 13 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 32 seconds ago
- › Dry cleaning woes 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Howard Yount: Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 2 minutes ago
- › Your opinion about Nordic culture 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...