Taken from the Drapers site
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:57 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 7/19/16 at 9:34pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 802post #12017 of 141152/9/14 at 8:59pmpost #12018 of 141152/9/14 at 9:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by gdl203
I think the color / saturation makes you think that (like for the tie) but a sky blue on white rarely "pops" really. I'm not sure if it's one of our Inglese / Alumo shirts (if it is, then I can be accused of strong bias) but I like thin striped shirts too - not just butcher or candy. They are MUCH harder to get right in terms of proportions of white - that is true - but that doesn't mean that sometimes mills do get it right. I know I comb through A LOT of shirting books to pick fabrics to get our shirts made and those are some of the hardest to pick. A plain pink is also a very hard shirting fabric to pick - but that's more a question of the right tinge than pattern proportions.
I don't disagree with anything Greg says here--in fact, I think he really nails it--except to say that I think Foo is right about the white-to-blue ratio in this particular narrow striped example, whether a NMWA product or not.post #12019 of 141152/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #12020 of 141152/9/14 at 9:09pmWouldn't say the spread simply doesn't work, but I totally agree that a bd (ideally ocbd) would be preferable.
On the other hand, I think what he has on would be perfect if he just swapped the sport coat for a dark navy blazer, but that would be a different look altogether from the really great sport coat--my favorite individual piece in the pic.post #12021 of 141152/9/14 at 9:51pm
Equal or close to equal width in the blue stripes and white ground looks more pleasing to my eye. As Loathing mentioned, the symmetry is appealing, and it allows the shirt to blend in more easily with the rest of the outfit. The stripes should also not be too wide.
It's hard to explain, but the wide white ground paired with a much narrower stripe is a bit reminiscent of the 80s (just as a shirt in a highly saturated solid French blue reminds one of the 90s). Here's a picture from the 1987 Brooks Brothers catalog, via the Trad, to illustrate. If you were there, you'll know what I mean.post #12022 of 141152/9/14 at 9:56pmpost #12023 of 141152/9/14 at 10:27pmpost #12024 of 141152/9/14 at 11:08pmWould a larger patterned neat work with that sport coat from the Drapers site? I had been operating on the belief that such ties (particularly if madder-ish) were sufficiently countrified to work with that style coat. Of course, it's partly a matter of degrees, but I read a comment recently from some who generally described that combination as too much of a city-country contrast.post #12025 of 141152/10/14 at 2:14amQuote:
While equal sized white - blue stripes is always safe that's not the only way to do it tastefully.
If the blue stripe is very thin - just a couple threads wide - it can look fine on a white background.post #12026 of 141152/10/14 at 2:28ampost #12027 of 141152/10/14 at 7:43ampost #12028 of 141152/10/14 at 8:46ampost #12029 of 141152/10/14 at 8:53amFinding pictures of ugly stripes isn't really a great demonstration of anything.
Stripes with more white or more color can be equally tricky to get in the right proportions and tinges, clearly harder than a candy stripe. But that doesn't mean that they're inherently in bad taste. Trying to find a geometric logic to it is likely to fail as well - why would a thin stripe be the pinnacle of horror in a logical way when adding another horizontal thin stripe gives you a graph check shirt, which most here would agree are the easiest check shirts to wear with a suit and tie... There's more white and the lines are thin... so...?
I'm on my phone so not ideal to search very far for examples but here are some from aportnoy and myself that I think work fine - apart of the photo quality and colors of course
Nothing good here? Maybe that's just a matter of personal taste after all...post #12030 of 141152/10/14 at 9:03amfunny, i was about to post that pic of the NMWA model. it does appear that shirt you used was with evenly sized stripes. i see you also used the other colorway navajo PS. ill do that next time.
lol that it has proven so hard for me to DTO a mannequin. i guess i should have looked at it closer.
in any case, i like all those combos.
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 21 seconds ago
- › OAMC - Over All Master Cloth - Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli Navy Donegal Double Breasted Sport coat 8 minutes ago
- › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. 14 minutes ago
- › RRL slim western shirts (large), KLAXON HOWL denim jacket (large),... 14 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 14 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding