or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 794

post #11896 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

CEP, why the points with the square? Also, is the double four in hand knot for function (tie too long) or for the look? If the former I would make it less noticeable. I think your trousers are slightly too tapered. Opening them up a bit I think would just make the fit a bit more balanced because it looks like you have fairly broad shoulders.

Hey PB. How's it going?

Concur about the pants. Feel like I've got the jacket just the way I want it with these latest commissions, and now it's time to deal with the tapering of the trouser legs. Think I 'll have a spare pair for the navy suit made up with two changes: less tapering + forward pleats.

Why points on the linen square? Because of the coloured border. Believe points are only acceptable on linen or cotton squares. Prefer the look anyway.

And lastly, you're spot on with the tie length. For me, how many times I loop the tie is purely a function of length. Must be thinking alike again, as more and more , I'm trying to conceal the inner loop.
post #11897 of 13589
It does look like you absentmindedly switched coats, or perhaps did so deliberately to shake a tail.
post #11898 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I think fretting about the formality of cuffs in any setting other than black/white tie is getting lost in the SF weeds.

I don't think so. I mean it is just one more reason why they don't go with the ensemble. If any thread was to go that far I think it would be this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Hey PB. How's it going?

Concur about the pants. Feel like I've got the jacket just the way I want it with these latest commissions, and now it's time to deal with the tapering of the trouser legs. Think I 'll have a spare pair for the navy suit made up with two changes: less tapering + forward pleats.

Why points on the linen square? Because of the coloured border. Believe points are only acceptable on linen or cotton squares. Prefer the look anyway.

And lastly, you're spot on with the tie length. For me, how many times I loop the tie is purely a function of length. Must be thinking alike again, as more and more , I'm trying to conceal the inner loop.

In general I dislike contract edged squares, but I agree that linen/cotton are the only ones where edges are ok to show I just prefer them in TV folds.
post #11899 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't think so. I mean it is just one more reason why they don't go with the ensemble. If any thread was to go that far I think it would be this one.

of all the points you made, id say the cuffs point was the most NBD of the set. i dont think i plays much of a role. the other points, yeah that was solid.
post #11900 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't think so. I mean it is just one more reason why they don't go with the ensemble. If any thread was to go that far I think it would be this one.

Cuffs, like patch pockets, are optional details that add a casual note to an outfit. They're inappropriate in certain settings, but their absence is never wrong ... except on the clothing forums.

Cuffs aren't even that popular in the UK, the country that gave us so many of the rules SF likes to fret about.
post #11901 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't like it at all actually. I especially don't like it without cuffs on the trousers, plain is more formal so that exacerbates it.

While I agree with your overall assessment of Stitchy's outfit, it's pretty common to see cuffs with a suit of any degree of businessyness and has been for quite a long while.

That tux pants don't take cuffs seems fairly irrelevant.

FWIW I get all my odd trousers uncuffed except for flannels. I think uncuffed looks better with loafers when I wear them.
Edited by Cantabrigian - 1/23/14 at 1:03am
post #11902 of 13589
C, there is a glaring lack of fits from you in this thread and in general.
post #11903 of 13589
Thread Starter 
uncuffed navy flannel odd trousers, JFC, I know the world is ending but can you a-holes stop trying to speed it up?
post #11904 of 13589
Stitchy, I do not like those navy flannels sorry. Flannel looks best in grey/charcoal or brown

Was considering getting these Yount's but realized I wouldn't like them

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants/products/light-worsted-flannel-blue
http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants/products/lambswool-flannel-pants-blue
post #11905 of 13589
ITT: today manton calls me an a-hole for my pants selection. clearly i have back tracked.
post #11906 of 13589
I don't have any of my flannels cuffed at this point.

But I do hem of my pants on a military slant now.

Opinions? Do most of you prefer cuffs on flannel to make the heavy fabric hang better. I think the military hem accomplishes the same result

hem_zps7f821f17.jpg


Cleaner look than these cuffed ones

polo-ralph-lauren-brown-preston-flannel-trouser-product-1-13642339-700935701_large_flex.jpeg
post #11907 of 13589
I cuff almost nothing these days.
post #11908 of 13589
Opposite here. The pants in that fit are my only uncuffed dress pants at present.

jrd - i dont see the point you are making there. cuffed pants can be finished just as cleanly as uncuffed.
post #11909 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


jrd - i dont see the point you are making there. cuffed pants can be finished just as cleanly as uncuffed.

The bold face is the point I'm making. Same as you. biggrin.gif

I think the pro-cuff faction here just likes the look of a chunky cuff with the chunky flannel fabric.
post #11910 of 13589
I have no idea what you are saying. frown.gif

Both options can be finished cleanly or sloppily. Personally, I simply like the look of a cuff better than without, and as such, all my pants (aside for todays), regardless of fabric weight, get cuffed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread