Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 788post #11806 of 136531/13/14 at 1:10pmI've seen the look unbel describes fairly often on British TV shows like Midsomer Murder. Mostly the episodes set on some country estate instead of in a town. Tweed suit, white ground tattersall shirt, striped tie, and white square points up. Always led me to wonder whether those depictions were fair or idealized a bit.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11807 of 136531/13/14 at 1:14pmpost #11808 of 136531/13/14 at 1:37pmpost #11809 of 136531/13/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
I feel sort of o/o for posting after this statement, though it was not my intent. The humor is not lost on me though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #11810 of 136531/14/14 at 11:09am
I would agree that a white shirt would be too urban and formal, and too stark a contrast to wear with country tweeds. But the warm earth tones of cream, light beige, or tattersall check can look quite good, as tdude mentioned. See these Esquire November 1934 images, posted recently on the London Lounge:
Here's Prince Charles wearing a tweed jacket with a cream colored shirt in 1979. The beard would fit well at Pitti Uomo:
Edited by CrimsonSox - 1/15/14 at 12:46pmpost #11811 of 136531/16/14 at 12:12pm
On the topic of furnishings that are possibly too "city" for tweed, what's the word on pindot or Churchill dot squares? In ties, they're a very formal pattern (knits excepted), and I don't think I'd want to wear a pindot tie with a tweed jacket. But let's say I had a plain shirt, a tweed jacket, and a repp tie. White linen would be wrong, of course, but what if the tweed's pattern was such that a paisley square would look too busy? Would it make sense to stuff a dotted square in the pocket of the jacket?
What about with a paisley tie? I know there's are a few members who post in here who don't like paisley ties, of course.
Do you think the scale of the dots have a great bearing on the formality of the square, as they do on a tie?post #11812 of 136531/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #11813 of 136531/16/14 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #11814 of 136531/16/14 at 1:10pmpost #11815 of 136531/16/14 at 1:13pmpost #11816 of 136531/16/14 at 1:15pmThread Starterpost #11817 of 136531/16/14 at 1:16pmpost #11818 of 136531/16/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I've also given up on dot squares.
If the dots are nice and small it's too much of a tie pattern for a square. If the dots are larger, it almost always looks a liite cheesy.post #11819 of 136531/16/14 at 1:40pmpost #11820 of 136531/16/14 at 1:56pmQuote:
what if you are pocketsquareguy? derp
on this topic, is the general consensus that PSs with neat patterns that pretty much look like they could be ties, no bueno? and if bueno are they hard to use well?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 11 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF... 11 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 13 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 15 minutes ago
- › Unipair - Gentlemen's Shoe Boutique - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...