Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 788post #11806 of 134011/13/14 at 1:10pmI've seen the look unbel describes fairly often on British TV shows like Midsomer Murder. Mostly the episodes set on some country estate instead of in a town. Tweed suit, white ground tattersall shirt, striped tie, and white square points up. Always led me to wonder whether those depictions were fair or idealized a bit.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11807 of 134011/13/14 at 1:14pmpost #11808 of 134011/13/14 at 1:37pmpost #11809 of 134011/13/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
I feel sort of o/o for posting after this statement, though it was not my intent. The humor is not lost on me though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #11810 of 134011/14/14 at 11:09am
I would agree that a white shirt would be too urban and formal, and too stark a contrast to wear with country tweeds. But the warm earth tones of cream, light beige, or tattersall check can look quite good, as tdude mentioned. See these Esquire November 1934 images, posted recently on the London Lounge:
Here's Prince Charles wearing a tweed jacket with a cream colored shirt in 1979. The beard would fit well at Pitti Uomo:
Edited by CrimsonSox - 1/15/14 at 12:46pmpost #11811 of 134011/16/14 at 12:12pm
On the topic of furnishings that are possibly too "city" for tweed, what's the word on pindot or Churchill dot squares? In ties, they're a very formal pattern (knits excepted), and I don't think I'd want to wear a pindot tie with a tweed jacket. But let's say I had a plain shirt, a tweed jacket, and a repp tie. White linen would be wrong, of course, but what if the tweed's pattern was such that a paisley square would look too busy? Would it make sense to stuff a dotted square in the pocket of the jacket?
What about with a paisley tie? I know there's are a few members who post in here who don't like paisley ties, of course.
Do you think the scale of the dots have a great bearing on the formality of the square, as they do on a tie?post #11812 of 134011/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #11813 of 134011/16/14 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #11814 of 134011/16/14 at 1:10pmpost #11815 of 134011/16/14 at 1:13pmpost #11816 of 134011/16/14 at 1:15pmThread Starterpost #11817 of 134011/16/14 at 1:16pmpost #11818 of 134011/16/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I've also given up on dot squares.
If the dots are nice and small it's too much of a tie pattern for a square. If the dots are larger, it almost always looks a liite cheesy.post #11819 of 134011/16/14 at 1:40pmpost #11820 of 134011/16/14 at 1:56pmQuote:
what if you are pocketsquareguy? derp
on this topic, is the general consensus that PSs with neat patterns that pretty much look like they could be ties, no bueno? and if bueno are they hard to use well?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Forme d'Expression Double Layer Shirt sz M just now
- › Vass U-Last Austerity Brogue Wingtips 44/10.5 23 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 51 seconds ago
- › NIKE Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Label Under Construction "Signals" Washi J-Pant, Black, sz 48 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...