Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 8:31 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 788post #11806 of 141211/13/14 at 1:10pmI've seen the look unbel describes fairly often on British TV shows like Midsomer Murder. Mostly the episodes set on some country estate instead of in a town. Tweed suit, white ground tattersall shirt, striped tie, and white square points up. Always led me to wonder whether those depictions were fair or idealized a bit.post #11807 of 141211/13/14 at 1:14pmpost #11808 of 141211/13/14 at 1:37pmpost #11809 of 141211/13/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
I feel sort of o/o for posting after this statement, though it was not my intent. The humor is not lost on me though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #11810 of 141211/14/14 at 11:09am
I would agree that a white shirt would be too urban and formal, and too stark a contrast to wear with country tweeds. But the warm earth tones of cream, light beige, or tattersall check can look quite good, as tdude mentioned. See these Esquire November 1934 images, posted recently on the London Lounge:
Here's Prince Charles wearing a tweed jacket with a cream colored shirt in 1979. The beard would fit well at Pitti Uomo:
Edited by CrimsonSox - 1/15/14 at 12:46pmpost #11811 of 141211/16/14 at 12:12pm
On the topic of furnishings that are possibly too "city" for tweed, what's the word on pindot or Churchill dot squares? In ties, they're a very formal pattern (knits excepted), and I don't think I'd want to wear a pindot tie with a tweed jacket. But let's say I had a plain shirt, a tweed jacket, and a repp tie. White linen would be wrong, of course, but what if the tweed's pattern was such that a paisley square would look too busy? Would it make sense to stuff a dotted square in the pocket of the jacket?
What about with a paisley tie? I know there's are a few members who post in here who don't like paisley ties, of course.
Do you think the scale of the dots have a great bearing on the formality of the square, as they do on a tie?post #11812 of 141211/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #11813 of 141211/16/14 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #11814 of 141211/16/14 at 1:10pmpost #11815 of 141211/16/14 at 1:13pmpost #11816 of 141211/16/14 at 1:15pmThread Starterpost #11817 of 141211/16/14 at 1:16pmpost #11818 of 141211/16/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I've also given up on dot squares.
If the dots are nice and small it's too much of a tie pattern for a square. If the dots are larger, it almost always looks a liite cheesy.post #11819 of 141211/16/14 at 1:40pmpost #11820 of 141211/16/14 at 1:56pmQuote:
what if you are pocketsquareguy? derp
on this topic, is the general consensus that PSs with neat patterns that pretty much look like they could be ties, no bueno? and if bueno are they hard to use well?
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Engineered Garments Bedford Jacket M US M 1 minute ago
- › 3Sixteen ST-100X 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 23th of September 2016 - 'The Great Outdoors' 9 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 9 minutes ago
- › alton lane and awl and sundry 11 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...