Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:01 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:00 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 788post #11806 of 140381/13/14 at 1:10pmI've seen the look unbel describes fairly often on British TV shows like Midsomer Murder. Mostly the episodes set on some country estate instead of in a town. Tweed suit, white ground tattersall shirt, striped tie, and white square points up. Always led me to wonder whether those depictions were fair or idealized a bit.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11807 of 140381/13/14 at 1:14pmpost #11808 of 140381/13/14 at 1:37pmpost #11809 of 140381/13/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
I feel sort of o/o for posting after this statement, though it was not my intent. The humor is not lost on me though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #11810 of 140381/14/14 at 11:09am
I would agree that a white shirt would be too urban and formal, and too stark a contrast to wear with country tweeds. But the warm earth tones of cream, light beige, or tattersall check can look quite good, as tdude mentioned. See these Esquire November 1934 images, posted recently on the London Lounge:
Here's Prince Charles wearing a tweed jacket with a cream colored shirt in 1979. The beard would fit well at Pitti Uomo:
Edited by CrimsonSox - 1/15/14 at 12:46pmpost #11811 of 140381/16/14 at 12:12pm
On the topic of furnishings that are possibly too "city" for tweed, what's the word on pindot or Churchill dot squares? In ties, they're a very formal pattern (knits excepted), and I don't think I'd want to wear a pindot tie with a tweed jacket. But let's say I had a plain shirt, a tweed jacket, and a repp tie. White linen would be wrong, of course, but what if the tweed's pattern was such that a paisley square would look too busy? Would it make sense to stuff a dotted square in the pocket of the jacket?
What about with a paisley tie? I know there's are a few members who post in here who don't like paisley ties, of course.
Do you think the scale of the dots have a great bearing on the formality of the square, as they do on a tie?post #11812 of 140381/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #11813 of 140381/16/14 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #11814 of 140381/16/14 at 1:10pmpost #11815 of 140381/16/14 at 1:13pmpost #11816 of 140381/16/14 at 1:15pmThread Starterpost #11817 of 140381/16/14 at 1:16pmpost #11818 of 140381/16/14 at 1:23pmQuote:
I've also given up on dot squares.
If the dots are nice and small it's too much of a tie pattern for a square. If the dots are larger, it almost always looks a liite cheesy.post #11819 of 140381/16/14 at 1:40pmpost #11820 of 140381/16/14 at 1:56pmQuote:
what if you are pocketsquareguy? derp
on this topic, is the general consensus that PSs with neat patterns that pretty much look like they could be ties, no bueno? and if bueno are they hard to use well?
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Cars We Drive! 56 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker 2 minutes ago
- › ***SW&D Photography Thread*** 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 5 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 7 minutes ago
- › PRICE DROPS WINTER IS HERE: 5 NWT INVERALLAN SWEATERS SZ 38 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...