Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 1:38 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 785post #11761 of 141141/11/14 at 3:32ampost #11762 of 141141/11/14 at 8:05ampost #11763 of 141141/11/14 at 9:37ampost #11764 of 141141/13/14 at 4:17ampost #11765 of 141141/13/14 at 6:27am
I think it works, but given the scale of pattern and the texture, isn't it more of a suit tie? The color makes it work well with the coat, though, so I'd love to hear from the members (Manton, DocHolliday) who are more attuned to this than I am.
And thanks for the compliment on my tie in the other thread.post #11766 of 141141/13/14 at 7:11ampost #11767 of 141141/13/14 at 7:22amThread Starterpost #11768 of 141141/13/14 at 7:27amQuote:
I don't see you in a lot of stripes, emblematics, or paisley/medallion print ties, but those have my vote. I also think relatively small neats in challis or madder can work well. For me, any printed tie with an odd jacket (besides a blazer, of course) needs a fair bit of texture (I'd say at least as much as a repp tie has), and a little larger scale helps.
I know Manton has mentioned stripes and knits are his choices with odd jackets, but I think you (and I!) wear odd jackets more often than he does, so I like a wider selection.
EDIT: Thanks for clarifying, Manton.post #11769 of 141141/13/14 at 7:30ampost #11770 of 141141/13/14 at 7:41amYes, "it's done in Italy," but I don't see why that is a valid defense of anything.
The medallions on the tie are too small and fine given the fineness and density of the jacket pattern. Does it look terrible? No. But it is not ideal. A bold stripe or larger, more graphic motif would be much better.
What is the pocket square? White linen? I'm sure many credible authorities will chime in that a white linen square is always correct. However, as I've argued before, that just isn't true. The contrast is too sharp and jarring against a rough, multi-colored tweed. I reserve white linen for business dress--and even then, only for certain situations.
Returning to a broader point: we need to stop assuming anything popular amongst Italian businessmen must be sartorially permissible.post #11771 of 141141/13/14 at 7:43am
Feel like I dodged a bullet there, u had me second guessing YRR. Interesting and informative (for me) comments. SC is a worsted so not entirely rustic, and tie, tho neat, is a warm flower dot in 4 colors, so a little more countrified than most.
edit: yeah linen square + shirt is (sky) blue
Edited by Pliny - 1/13/14 at 7:53ampost #11772 of 141141/13/14 at 7:43ampost #11773 of 141141/13/14 at 7:46amQuote:
It matters not whether the jacket is worsted or true tweed. It is made in the style of true tweed and meant to look the part, so it should be worn as such.
As for the tie motif: ninety-nine percent of all neat motifs are floral with three or four colors. That does not make any of them more country.post #11774 of 141141/13/14 at 7:46ampost #11775 of 141141/13/14 at 7:50amThread Starter
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 14 seconds ago
- › Shoe Porn: Norvegese, Bentivegna, Goyser, BIG Stitch & BIG Welts ONLY! 55 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 59 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Messenger Bags - Deciding Between These Two Tumi Bags/Briefcases... 4 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 5 minutes ago
- › Paul Smith blazer 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding