Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:02 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 785post #11761 of 139681/11/14 at 3:32am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11762 of 139681/11/14 at 8:05ampost #11763 of 139681/11/14 at 9:37ampost #11764 of 139681/13/14 at 4:17ampost #11765 of 139681/13/14 at 6:27am
I think it works, but given the scale of pattern and the texture, isn't it more of a suit tie? The color makes it work well with the coat, though, so I'd love to hear from the members (Manton, DocHolliday) who are more attuned to this than I am.
And thanks for the compliment on my tie in the other thread.post #11766 of 139681/13/14 at 7:11ampost #11767 of 139681/13/14 at 7:22amThread Starterpost #11768 of 139681/13/14 at 7:27amQuote:
I don't see you in a lot of stripes, emblematics, or paisley/medallion print ties, but those have my vote. I also think relatively small neats in challis or madder can work well. For me, any printed tie with an odd jacket (besides a blazer, of course) needs a fair bit of texture (I'd say at least as much as a repp tie has), and a little larger scale helps.
I know Manton has mentioned stripes and knits are his choices with odd jackets, but I think you (and I!) wear odd jackets more often than he does, so I like a wider selection.
EDIT: Thanks for clarifying, Manton.post #11769 of 139681/13/14 at 7:30ampost #11770 of 139681/13/14 at 7:41amYes, "it's done in Italy," but I don't see why that is a valid defense of anything.
The medallions on the tie are too small and fine given the fineness and density of the jacket pattern. Does it look terrible? No. But it is not ideal. A bold stripe or larger, more graphic motif would be much better.
What is the pocket square? White linen? I'm sure many credible authorities will chime in that a white linen square is always correct. However, as I've argued before, that just isn't true. The contrast is too sharp and jarring against a rough, multi-colored tweed. I reserve white linen for business dress--and even then, only for certain situations.
Returning to a broader point: we need to stop assuming anything popular amongst Italian businessmen must be sartorially permissible.post #11771 of 139681/13/14 at 7:43am
Feel like I dodged a bullet there, u had me second guessing YRR. Interesting and informative (for me) comments. SC is a worsted so not entirely rustic, and tie, tho neat, is a warm flower dot in 4 colors, so a little more countrified than most.
edit: yeah linen square + shirt is (sky) blue
Edited by Pliny - 1/13/14 at 7:53ampost #11772 of 139681/13/14 at 7:43ampost #11773 of 139681/13/14 at 7:46amQuote:
It matters not whether the jacket is worsted or true tweed. It is made in the style of true tweed and meant to look the part, so it should be worn as such.
As for the tie motif: ninety-nine percent of all neat motifs are floral with three or four colors. That does not make any of them more country.post #11774 of 139681/13/14 at 7:46ampost #11775 of 139681/13/14 at 7:50amThread Starter
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Elder Statesman Black 100% Cashmere Beanie 30 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 48 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Original 80's Adidas Stan Smith Trainers UK 13 US 14 2 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Palace Skateboards x Reebok Black Reebok Classics UK 13 US 14 3 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Best conditioner for leather (Bags, sofa, etc)? 5 minutes ago
- › Patrik Ervell Black Quilted Sweatshirt XL 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015