Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 785post #11761 of 133021/11/14 at 3:32am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11762 of 133021/11/14 at 8:05ampost #11763 of 133021/11/14 at 9:37ampost #11764 of 133021/13/14 at 4:17ampost #11765 of 133021/13/14 at 6:27am
I think it works, but given the scale of pattern and the texture, isn't it more of a suit tie? The color makes it work well with the coat, though, so I'd love to hear from the members (Manton, DocHolliday) who are more attuned to this than I am.
And thanks for the compliment on my tie in the other thread.post #11766 of 133021/13/14 at 7:11ampost #11767 of 133021/13/14 at 7:22amThread Starterpost #11768 of 133021/13/14 at 7:27amQuote:
I don't see you in a lot of stripes, emblematics, or paisley/medallion print ties, but those have my vote. I also think relatively small neats in challis or madder can work well. For me, any printed tie with an odd jacket (besides a blazer, of course) needs a fair bit of texture (I'd say at least as much as a repp tie has), and a little larger scale helps.
I know Manton has mentioned stripes and knits are his choices with odd jackets, but I think you (and I!) wear odd jackets more often than he does, so I like a wider selection.
EDIT: Thanks for clarifying, Manton.post #11769 of 133021/13/14 at 7:30ampost #11770 of 133021/13/14 at 7:41amYes, "it's done in Italy," but I don't see why that is a valid defense of anything.
The medallions on the tie are too small and fine given the fineness and density of the jacket pattern. Does it look terrible? No. But it is not ideal. A bold stripe or larger, more graphic motif would be much better.
What is the pocket square? White linen? I'm sure many credible authorities will chime in that a white linen square is always correct. However, as I've argued before, that just isn't true. The contrast is too sharp and jarring against a rough, multi-colored tweed. I reserve white linen for business dress--and even then, only for certain situations.
Returning to a broader point: we need to stop assuming anything popular amongst Italian businessmen must be sartorially permissible.post #11771 of 133021/13/14 at 7:43am
Feel like I dodged a bullet there, u had me second guessing YRR. Interesting and informative (for me) comments. SC is a worsted so not entirely rustic, and tie, tho neat, is a warm flower dot in 4 colors, so a little more countrified than most.
edit: yeah linen square + shirt is (sky) blue
Edited by Pliny - 1/13/14 at 7:53ampost #11772 of 133021/13/14 at 7:43ampost #11773 of 133021/13/14 at 7:46amQuote:
It matters not whether the jacket is worsted or true tweed. It is made in the style of true tweed and meant to look the part, so it should be worn as such.
As for the tie motif: ninety-nine percent of all neat motifs are floral with three or four colors. That does not make any of them more country.post #11774 of 133021/13/14 at 7:46ampost #11775 of 133021/13/14 at 7:50amThread Starter
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Feeling lost. Do I suck at dressing? Here's a pic for example: 30 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Herring Shoes - Experiences? 5 minutes ago
- › Howard Yount: Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 11 minutes ago
- › The official brogue boot style thread. 13 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 13 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 17 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 32 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 36 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Top 5 Online Shopping Websites For...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)