Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 10:29 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 785post #11761 of 141151/11/14 at 3:32ampost #11762 of 141151/11/14 at 8:05ampost #11763 of 141151/11/14 at 9:37ampost #11764 of 141151/13/14 at 4:17ampost #11765 of 141151/13/14 at 6:27am
I think it works, but given the scale of pattern and the texture, isn't it more of a suit tie? The color makes it work well with the coat, though, so I'd love to hear from the members (Manton, DocHolliday) who are more attuned to this than I am.
And thanks for the compliment on my tie in the other thread.post #11766 of 141151/13/14 at 7:11ampost #11767 of 141151/13/14 at 7:22amThread Starterpost #11768 of 141151/13/14 at 7:27amQuote:
I don't see you in a lot of stripes, emblematics, or paisley/medallion print ties, but those have my vote. I also think relatively small neats in challis or madder can work well. For me, any printed tie with an odd jacket (besides a blazer, of course) needs a fair bit of texture (I'd say at least as much as a repp tie has), and a little larger scale helps.
I know Manton has mentioned stripes and knits are his choices with odd jackets, but I think you (and I!) wear odd jackets more often than he does, so I like a wider selection.
EDIT: Thanks for clarifying, Manton.post #11769 of 141151/13/14 at 7:30ampost #11770 of 141151/13/14 at 7:41amYes, "it's done in Italy," but I don't see why that is a valid defense of anything.
The medallions on the tie are too small and fine given the fineness and density of the jacket pattern. Does it look terrible? No. But it is not ideal. A bold stripe or larger, more graphic motif would be much better.
What is the pocket square? White linen? I'm sure many credible authorities will chime in that a white linen square is always correct. However, as I've argued before, that just isn't true. The contrast is too sharp and jarring against a rough, multi-colored tweed. I reserve white linen for business dress--and even then, only for certain situations.
Returning to a broader point: we need to stop assuming anything popular amongst Italian businessmen must be sartorially permissible.post #11771 of 141151/13/14 at 7:43am
Feel like I dodged a bullet there, u had me second guessing YRR. Interesting and informative (for me) comments. SC is a worsted so not entirely rustic, and tie, tho neat, is a warm flower dot in 4 colors, so a little more countrified than most.
edit: yeah linen square + shirt is (sky) blue
Edited by Pliny - 1/13/14 at 7:53ampost #11772 of 141151/13/14 at 7:43ampost #11773 of 141151/13/14 at 7:46amQuote:
It matters not whether the jacket is worsted or true tweed. It is made in the style of true tweed and meant to look the part, so it should be worn as such.
As for the tie motif: ninety-nine percent of all neat motifs are floral with three or four colors. That does not make any of them more country.post #11774 of 141151/13/14 at 7:46ampost #11775 of 141151/13/14 at 7:50amThread Starter
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Haircut 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 8 minutes ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 11 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding