Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 4:17 am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Yesterday at 11:35 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 783
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11732 of 139491/9/14 at 7:10ampost #11733 of 139491/9/14 at 7:10ampost #11734 of 139491/9/14 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #11735 of 139491/9/14 at 7:19amQuote:Quote:post #11736 of 139491/9/14 at 7:29amThanks for the feedback. Local tailor who I met through a church connection. He says he spent some time at Davies and Son years ago, but I have no way of knowing whether that's true.
The button point is two inches above my navel, and slightly higher than the first suit (.75"). Looking at the pics, I think I shouldn't have asked him to raise it. He says my arms and legs are relatively long compared to a short torso.
There's too much jacket below the top button. I can't move the button now, but I think I'll have him shape the quarters slightly to compensate and then have the button point lowered for the next one.post #11737 of 139491/9/14 at 10:28amThis is an interesting mix of details. The fronts are formed from the geometry of the pattern used. The shoulder is crooked and the fronts are falling in a bit of an open line. Sort of an old school default English styling. Not sure if you reshaped the front edges below the bottom button if you would maintain an homogeneous look. Your original lower button position would be better than the higher position used here. 3/4" at the buttoning point is a mile.
The proportion of the shoulder/chest/waist is right on the line of making you look rounder or stocky. I think I would extend the shoulder a small amount to broaden the upper body and look more balanced with the lapel. The seam of the sleeve and shoulder looks too vertical. The drape could be tweaked a bit.
This is a clear example of the way English cutting systems place the inseam of the sleeve. The seam is way out over your knuckles and causing this ^ shape at the hem of the sleeve. This drives me nuts! I think it is the proportion of the under sleeve to the top sleeve they use. Sleeves look like they hang a touch to the front.
Not to be all negative, it's a pretty clean jacket. It definitely has an English pedigree of styling. Don't try to make it look Italian.post #11738 of 139491/9/14 at 10:47am
Thanks Despos. I'll take your advice to him. I should not have asked him to raise the button point, oh well. I noticed the sleeve seam v too and thought that would be easy to clean into a straight line, but I hadn't considered widening the shoulders. I think that would be more flattering since I am stocky. You say the sleeves hang to the front: is that why the inside of the sleeve hugs my wrist and the outside of the sleeve is well away?
Thanks for the insight.post #11739 of 139491/9/14 at 12:02pmYes, I noticed what you are experiencing about the sleeve. The sleeve hem is easy to correct at the hem but the issue reflects what is going on at the top of the sleeve. The way it is cut and balanced to the armhole and then sewn into the armhole.
Think we are on the same page about what aesthetic/silhouette you are looking for.post #11740 of 139491/9/14 at 1:37pmpost #11741 of 139491/9/14 at 1:41pmQuote:
It would be more flattering if the sleeve seam and the break line of the lapel (the edge of the lapel against his shirt) were somewhat more parallel. To my eye at least
I Love Lucy is on the tube right now. Man, Ricky haz the drape!post #11742 of 139491/9/14 at 1:45pmpost #11743 of 139491/9/14 at 3:37pmpost #11744 of 139491/9/14 at 4:18pmQuote:
Had your eye exam lately?Quote:
Ricky haz it, teh drape!
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 45 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › MC General Chat 3 minutes ago
- › Insurrection / Thurston Bros., Aero Leather Jackets North America -... 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Zegna Labels ID's for eBay purchasers (Graphic Intensive) 7 minutes ago
- › Hugo Boss black leather oxford sz, 8.5 (42) 8 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 9 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...