Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 6:33 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 725post #10862 of 1411511/3/13 at 5:31amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Agreed, only the larger prints work with a SC in my opinion.
Something like this is definitely a suit print:
Suit print (Click to show)
Whereas I think something like this works well with a SC, particularly if it's madder or wool:
SC print (Click to show)post #10863 of 1411511/3/13 at 5:44ampost #10864 of 1411511/3/13 at 6:09amIn general, I think SF overvalues small, tightly spaced patterns and undervalues larger traditional patterns (diamond, medallion, etc.) and simple stripes. In terms of versatility, I mean. I have some Marinella-style patterns that look too busy even layered over a striped shirt.
My tolerance for high-frequency visual vibration has become very low.post #10865 of 1411511/3/13 at 7:49ampost #10866 of 1411511/3/13 at 7:52am
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.post #10867 of 1411511/3/13 at 7:55ampost #10868 of 1411511/3/13 at 7:56amI'm not sure I've ever seen a large print medallion tie with a sport coat. It'd have to be a herringbone or donegal; something opposite in scale to the tie. Not that it can't be done, and some people are wizards at pattern mixing, but I tend to subscribe to GDL's line of thought. A peek of medallion under a three piece suit looks just great.post #10869 of 1411511/3/13 at 8:20amAgree -- there are a lot of ties that look terrific under a vest or cardigan and terrible when on expansive display.
In general, I don't go for tie patterns that are too fine and busy or too large and garish. But at the same time, I think the forums tend to manufacture a lot of rules about this sort of thing that never really existed. The question is whether the combination is pleasing to the eye.post #10870 of 1411511/3/13 at 9:01amQuote:
That is key. I guess I'll be posting my experiments with my new SC for feedback, I think it's quite nice but very challenging to match with another pattern. The larger, less busy prints might work.post #10871 of 1411511/3/13 at 12:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.
Interesting. I thought that the difference in the scale of the lines more than made up for it. I have a solid donegal jacket about the same shade of brown. Might try it with that next time.post #10872 of 1411511/3/13 at 3:57pmpost #10873 of 1411511/3/13 at 4:08pmpost #10874 of 1411511/3/13 at 5:05pmpost #10875 of 1411511/3/13 at 6:23pm
Still don't understand what "experiment in SF-groupthink" means.
I wore the near-twin of that shirt this weekend. It doesn't belong here, though, and doesn't really belong tieless with a sportcoat -- though that's how I wore mine, because when you get right down to it, I just didn't care that much.
That sounds like a good choice.
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 38 seconds ago
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 10 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 16 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Vass Budapest-Oxford Black U last size 41 16 minutes ago
- › Inis Meain Orange Melange Crewneck Sweater 100% Linen - Size Medium 17 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding