Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:35 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:43 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 4/30/15 at 2:41pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 725post #10861 of 1390811/3/13 at 5:18am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10862 of 1390811/3/13 at 5:31amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Agreed, only the larger prints work with a SC in my opinion.
Something like this is definitely a suit print:
Suit print (Click to show)
Whereas I think something like this works well with a SC, particularly if it's madder or wool:
SC print (Click to show)post #10863 of 1390811/3/13 at 5:44ampost #10864 of 1390811/3/13 at 6:09amIn general, I think SF overvalues small, tightly spaced patterns and undervalues larger traditional patterns (diamond, medallion, etc.) and simple stripes. In terms of versatility, I mean. I have some Marinella-style patterns that look too busy even layered over a striped shirt.
My tolerance for high-frequency visual vibration has become very low.post #10865 of 1390811/3/13 at 7:49ampost #10866 of 1390811/3/13 at 7:52am
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.post #10867 of 1390811/3/13 at 7:55ampost #10868 of 1390811/3/13 at 7:56amI'm not sure I've ever seen a large print medallion tie with a sport coat. It'd have to be a herringbone or donegal; something opposite in scale to the tie. Not that it can't be done, and some people are wizards at pattern mixing, but I tend to subscribe to GDL's line of thought. A peek of medallion under a three piece suit looks just great.post #10869 of 1390811/3/13 at 8:20amAgree -- there are a lot of ties that look terrific under a vest or cardigan and terrible when on expansive display.
In general, I don't go for tie patterns that are too fine and busy or too large and garish. But at the same time, I think the forums tend to manufacture a lot of rules about this sort of thing that never really existed. The question is whether the combination is pleasing to the eye.post #10870 of 1390811/3/13 at 9:01amQuote:
That is key. I guess I'll be posting my experiments with my new SC for feedback, I think it's quite nice but very challenging to match with another pattern. The larger, less busy prints might work.post #10871 of 1390811/3/13 at 12:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.
Interesting. I thought that the difference in the scale of the lines more than made up for it. I have a solid donegal jacket about the same shade of brown. Might try it with that next time.post #10872 of 1390811/3/13 at 3:57pmpost #10873 of 1390811/3/13 at 4:08pmpost #10874 of 1390811/3/13 at 5:05pmpost #10875 of 1390811/3/13 at 6:23pm
Still don't understand what "experiment in SF-groupthink" means.
I wore the near-twin of that shirt this weekend. It doesn't belong here, though, and doesn't really belong tieless with a sportcoat -- though that's how I wore mine, because when you get right down to it, I just didn't care that much.
That sounds like a good choice.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Vass U Last Budapest Oxford Eu 46/ US 12 Dark Brown 19 seconds ago
- › White common projects uk11 us12 eu45 9 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 10 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 17 minutes ago
- › J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013 19 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 26 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge April 27th, 2015: The Knit Tie 29 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 31 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 35 minutes ago
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...