Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:59 pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 725
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10862 of 1403811/3/13 at 5:31amQuote:Quote:Quote:
Agreed, only the larger prints work with a SC in my opinion.
Something like this is definitely a suit print:
Suit print (Click to show)
Whereas I think something like this works well with a SC, particularly if it's madder or wool:
SC print (Click to show)post #10863 of 1403811/3/13 at 5:44ampost #10864 of 1403811/3/13 at 6:09amIn general, I think SF overvalues small, tightly spaced patterns and undervalues larger traditional patterns (diamond, medallion, etc.) and simple stripes. In terms of versatility, I mean. I have some Marinella-style patterns that look too busy even layered over a striped shirt.
My tolerance for high-frequency visual vibration has become very low.post #10865 of 1403811/3/13 at 7:49ampost #10866 of 1403811/3/13 at 7:52am
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.post #10867 of 1403811/3/13 at 7:55ampost #10868 of 1403811/3/13 at 7:56amI'm not sure I've ever seen a large print medallion tie with a sport coat. It'd have to be a herringbone or donegal; something opposite in scale to the tie. Not that it can't be done, and some people are wizards at pattern mixing, but I tend to subscribe to GDL's line of thought. A peek of medallion under a three piece suit looks just great.post #10869 of 1403811/3/13 at 8:20amAgree -- there are a lot of ties that look terrific under a vest or cardigan and terrible when on expansive display.
In general, I don't go for tie patterns that are too fine and busy or too large and garish. But at the same time, I think the forums tend to manufacture a lot of rules about this sort of thing that never really existed. The question is whether the combination is pleasing to the eye.post #10870 of 1403811/3/13 at 9:01amQuote:
That is key. I guess I'll be posting my experiments with my new SC for feedback, I think it's quite nice but very challenging to match with another pattern. The larger, less busy prints might work.post #10871 of 1403811/3/13 at 12:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
It looks pretty good on the distance shot, but at close range it feels a little too much like the tie pattern is just the SC pattern rotated 45 degrees. I have a similar tie that I have put up next to a similar jacket on more than a few mornings but always ended up choosing something else. I guess it's not just a straight line thing - I think with just a herringbone jacket that tie would look nice. Just that the scale of the boxes on the jacket is too close to the scale of the boxes on the tie IMHO.
Interesting. I thought that the difference in the scale of the lines more than made up for it. I have a solid donegal jacket about the same shade of brown. Might try it with that next time.post #10872 of 1403811/3/13 at 3:57pmpost #10873 of 1403811/3/13 at 4:08pmpost #10874 of 1403811/3/13 at 5:05pmpost #10875 of 1403811/3/13 at 6:23pm
Still don't understand what "experiment in SF-groupthink" means.
I wore the near-twin of that shirt this weekend. It doesn't belong here, though, and doesn't really belong tieless with a sportcoat -- though that's how I wore mine, because when you get right down to it, I just didn't care that much.
That sounds like a good choice.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 16 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 34 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 42 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 43 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 44 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 47 minutes ago
- › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone 47 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 49 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 51 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 51 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...