Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
- Med school interview coming up, need advice Last post on 11/19/12 at 9:10am in Classic Menswear
- If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed Last post on 5/17/14 at 1:01am in Classic Menswear
- The Worst Look Last post on 10/1/13 at 11:54pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 699post #10471 of 1314210/15/13 at 9:53am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10472 of 1314210/15/13 at 9:59ampost #10473 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:12am
Then why be advanced?
Isn't exercising restraint a big part of maturity? I told myself that last night, but in the context of a bottle of tequila rather than fine neckwear.
Also, I'm wearing a black knit tie today, I think of it as the chelsea boot of ties. I'm also wearing chelsea boots.post #10474 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:19ampost #10475 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:20amChelsea boots are amazing. Especially living in a country where one needs to remove shoes often.
The most complex song isn't the greatest song, but there is merit in music which manages to execute complexity harmoniously. Also variety is good. Figuring out how to balance simplicity with variety seems to be an excellent goal in dressing oneself and building a wardrobe.post #10476 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:32ampost #10477 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:33ampost #10478 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:38am
White shirt with an odd jacket, too.
I'll admit, I've been asked to wear a white shirt and a black tie later in the day, so it wasn't really a choice, but I kind of like it.
EDIT: I think I actually bought chelseas based on your advocacy of them -- maybe in Manton's seven-shoe-wardrobe thread where you suggested something like an even simpler wardrobe of a black pair, a brown pair (maybe suede?), and tan grain LWB. Mine aren't great examples of the breed, but they're incredibly versatile.
Claghorn, I think you can sort of plot it on a plane, with the X-axis as "good" and the "y-axis" as "complicated/advanced." The black knit tie scores high for both. In Manton's opinion, my purple tie scores high for complicated, but low for "good."
Even as a thought experiment, I admit, that doesn't really interest me. I mostly worry about the good -- after all, "too simple" can be a problem, as can "too complicated."post #10479 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:49amWhile we are reveling in Chelsea love:
I still don't see why black and navy knit are advanced. Zen, yes; I guess I fail to see the profundity of the journey which Doc hinted at as warranting the label "advanced."
As far taking my shoes off without access to trees: the thought never occurred to me. I'm afraid now it will.post #10480 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:54ampost #10481 of 1314210/15/13 at 10:55ampost #10482 of 1314210/15/13 at 11:02ampost #10483 of 1314210/15/13 at 11:21amQuote:
as do i. sadly, i do not own very many at all.Quote:Quote:
these posts gladdened my heart so.post #10484 of 1314210/15/13 at 11:29amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No one has suggested the obvious, which is to skip the pocket square altogether. This is what I always do with tweed jackets, and I find that it brings the extra benefit of allowing you to go all Hamish Bowles on the tie.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Australian Members 6 seconds ago
- › JoS. A. Bank Cedar Shoe trees on sale 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Is it bad to hang dress shirts? 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › *** Styleforum New York Trunk Show and Pop-up Shop, Nov 7-8 *** 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)