Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 12/4/16 at 10:35am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 699post #10471 of 1412310/15/13 at 9:53ampost #10472 of 1412310/15/13 at 9:59ampost #10473 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:12am
Then why be advanced?
Isn't exercising restraint a big part of maturity? I told myself that last night, but in the context of a bottle of tequila rather than fine neckwear.
Also, I'm wearing a black knit tie today, I think of it as the chelsea boot of ties. I'm also wearing chelsea boots.post #10474 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:19ampost #10475 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:20amChelsea boots are amazing. Especially living in a country where one needs to remove shoes often.
The most complex song isn't the greatest song, but there is merit in music which manages to execute complexity harmoniously. Also variety is good. Figuring out how to balance simplicity with variety seems to be an excellent goal in dressing oneself and building a wardrobe.post #10476 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:32ampost #10477 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:33ampost #10478 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:38am
White shirt with an odd jacket, too.
I'll admit, I've been asked to wear a white shirt and a black tie later in the day, so it wasn't really a choice, but I kind of like it.
EDIT: I think I actually bought chelseas based on your advocacy of them -- maybe in Manton's seven-shoe-wardrobe thread where you suggested something like an even simpler wardrobe of a black pair, a brown pair (maybe suede?), and tan grain LWB. Mine aren't great examples of the breed, but they're incredibly versatile.
Claghorn, I think you can sort of plot it on a plane, with the X-axis as "good" and the "y-axis" as "complicated/advanced." The black knit tie scores high for both. In Manton's opinion, my purple tie scores high for complicated, but low for "good."
Even as a thought experiment, I admit, that doesn't really interest me. I mostly worry about the good -- after all, "too simple" can be a problem, as can "too complicated."post #10479 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:49amWhile we are reveling in Chelsea love:
I still don't see why black and navy knit are advanced. Zen, yes; I guess I fail to see the profundity of the journey which Doc hinted at as warranting the label "advanced."
As far taking my shoes off without access to trees: the thought never occurred to me. I'm afraid now it will.post #10480 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:54ampost #10481 of 1412310/15/13 at 10:55ampost #10482 of 1412310/15/13 at 11:02ampost #10483 of 1412310/15/13 at 11:21amQuote:
as do i. sadly, i do not own very many at all.Quote:Quote:
these posts gladdened my heart so.post #10484 of 1412310/15/13 at 11:29amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No one has suggested the obvious, which is to skip the pocket square altogether. This is what I always do with tweed jackets, and I find that it brings the extra benefit of allowing you to go all Hamish Bowles on the tie.post #10485 of 1412310/15/13 at 11:32amThread Starter
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Introduce yourself. 1 minute ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › *Official*! Trump's Reelection Campaign 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway