Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:55 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 5:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: Today
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 699post #10471 of 1390810/15/13 at 9:53am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10472 of 1390810/15/13 at 9:59ampost #10473 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:12am
Then why be advanced?
Isn't exercising restraint a big part of maturity? I told myself that last night, but in the context of a bottle of tequila rather than fine neckwear.
Also, I'm wearing a black knit tie today, I think of it as the chelsea boot of ties. I'm also wearing chelsea boots.post #10474 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:19ampost #10475 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:20amChelsea boots are amazing. Especially living in a country where one needs to remove shoes often.
The most complex song isn't the greatest song, but there is merit in music which manages to execute complexity harmoniously. Also variety is good. Figuring out how to balance simplicity with variety seems to be an excellent goal in dressing oneself and building a wardrobe.post #10476 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:32ampost #10477 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:33ampost #10478 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:38am
White shirt with an odd jacket, too.
I'll admit, I've been asked to wear a white shirt and a black tie later in the day, so it wasn't really a choice, but I kind of like it.
EDIT: I think I actually bought chelseas based on your advocacy of them -- maybe in Manton's seven-shoe-wardrobe thread where you suggested something like an even simpler wardrobe of a black pair, a brown pair (maybe suede?), and tan grain LWB. Mine aren't great examples of the breed, but they're incredibly versatile.
Claghorn, I think you can sort of plot it on a plane, with the X-axis as "good" and the "y-axis" as "complicated/advanced." The black knit tie scores high for both. In Manton's opinion, my purple tie scores high for complicated, but low for "good."
Even as a thought experiment, I admit, that doesn't really interest me. I mostly worry about the good -- after all, "too simple" can be a problem, as can "too complicated."post #10479 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:49amWhile we are reveling in Chelsea love:
I still don't see why black and navy knit are advanced. Zen, yes; I guess I fail to see the profundity of the journey which Doc hinted at as warranting the label "advanced."
As far taking my shoes off without access to trees: the thought never occurred to me. I'm afraid now it will.post #10480 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:54ampost #10481 of 1390810/15/13 at 10:55ampost #10482 of 1390810/15/13 at 11:02ampost #10483 of 1390810/15/13 at 11:21amQuote:
as do i. sadly, i do not own very many at all.Quote:Quote:
these posts gladdened my heart so.post #10484 of 1390810/15/13 at 11:29amQuote:Originally Posted by YRR92
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No one has suggested the obvious, which is to skip the pocket square altogether. This is what I always do with tweed jackets, and I find that it brings the extra benefit of allowing you to go all Hamish Bowles on the tie.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Official Events and PSA thread 32 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY (really Saturday) CHALLENGE: March 28th: 50 Shades of Black Tie 1 minute ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 13 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 20 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Chukka in Burgundy Calf size 10 UK 946 last. 22 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...