Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:15 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 9:06 am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 692post #10366 of 1403810/10/13 at 1:04pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10367 of 1403810/10/13 at 1:09pmpost #10368 of 1403810/10/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
you got me.Quote:
very distracting, and not nearly as pleasing to the eye as the gray version.post #10369 of 1403810/10/13 at 1:58pmpost #10370 of 1403810/10/13 at 2:10pmpost #10371 of 1403810/10/13 at 4:04pmIt seems my last post didn't win everyone over, so here are a few more Photoshop jobs, this time using brown pants. I begun by skimming through Trini's "Best of ..." thread, and a theme quickly materialized: just as common wisdom holds, the prime candidates for brown pants (or, I suppose, pants in blue or navy) are sports coats in all shades of gray (another contentious issue -- let's not go there). I also found that some coats in light and mid shades of earth colors can look a bit odd when paired with mid-gray pants.
The first picture shows one such coat. I don't know about you, but to my eye, the original pants (to the right) sit too closely in tone to the sports coat. Maybe a slightly darker shade of gray would improve things, but in any case, the brown pants make, I think, a lovely match. I'm a sucker for this kind of fuddy-duddy grandpa look.
Next, we have a case of gray on gray, which is a well-known trouble area. Here, in addition to changing the color of the pants, I also darkened the tie to make it harmonize with the other garments. Alas, there was nothing I could do about the Windsor knot. (Original photo on the right.)
FInally, I have assembled four real outfits that I think showcase situations where colored pants work better than the gray staples. The first one illustrates what I wrote above about earth tones (in this case, beige) sometimes being a hard match with gray; the second illustrates how vivid blue pants can enliven an outfit (but gray would obviously work here, too); the third shows the power of anchoring an outfit with dark pants; the fourth (our own NOBD) is, again, an example of pepping up an outfit by injecting a bit of (tasteful) color.post #10372 of 1403810/10/13 at 4:21pmpost #10373 of 1403810/10/13 at 4:52pmpost #10374 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:43pmTRINI pretty much said what I wanted to say.
Also, the only cases in which I did not like the light gray pants as much as the counterpart in those examples was when the jacket itself was also a lighter gray and was too similar and shade to the light gray pants.
And in many of those cases while blue may not of been bad, a darker gray or something in the brown family would I think be equally as good or possibly better.post #10375 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:45pmpost #10376 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:48pmLol, its Styfo dood. It is impossible to make it past this impasse.
Also, let it be noted that I personally do not hate navy pants. I do though prefer them to be non worsted. And still, it is difficult in my opinion to find examples where they are truly the best option. I have seen some examples with the light gray jacket, which also would be technically a no go ITT, but I think we're quite good. Malford had an excellent one iirc.post #10377 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:50pmpost #10378 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:54pmpost #10379 of 1403810/10/13 at 7:55pmpost #10380 of 1403810/10/13 at 8:02pmQuote:
But do you have/can wear the light grey flannels like those in Foo's pic in my last post? I'll admit, I haven't liked your efforts in this thread. If you have light grey flannel, try em with some odd jackets and see what the feedback is. Worth the experiment I think.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1574 Active Users (350 Members and 1224 Guests)
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 20 seconds ago
- › Help with identifying these ray bans 44 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 6 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.