Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:28 pm in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 7/19/16 at 9:34pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 692post #10366 of 1411510/10/13 at 1:04pmpost #10367 of 1411510/10/13 at 1:09pmpost #10368 of 1411510/10/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
you got me.Quote:
very distracting, and not nearly as pleasing to the eye as the gray version.post #10369 of 1411510/10/13 at 1:58pmpost #10370 of 1411510/10/13 at 2:10pmpost #10371 of 1411510/10/13 at 4:04pmIt seems my last post didn't win everyone over, so here are a few more Photoshop jobs, this time using brown pants. I begun by skimming through Trini's "Best of ..." thread, and a theme quickly materialized: just as common wisdom holds, the prime candidates for brown pants (or, I suppose, pants in blue or navy) are sports coats in all shades of gray (another contentious issue -- let's not go there). I also found that some coats in light and mid shades of earth colors can look a bit odd when paired with mid-gray pants.
The first picture shows one such coat. I don't know about you, but to my eye, the original pants (to the right) sit too closely in tone to the sports coat. Maybe a slightly darker shade of gray would improve things, but in any case, the brown pants make, I think, a lovely match. I'm a sucker for this kind of fuddy-duddy grandpa look.
Next, we have a case of gray on gray, which is a well-known trouble area. Here, in addition to changing the color of the pants, I also darkened the tie to make it harmonize with the other garments. Alas, there was nothing I could do about the Windsor knot. (Original photo on the right.)
FInally, I have assembled four real outfits that I think showcase situations where colored pants work better than the gray staples. The first one illustrates what I wrote above about earth tones (in this case, beige) sometimes being a hard match with gray; the second illustrates how vivid blue pants can enliven an outfit (but gray would obviously work here, too); the third shows the power of anchoring an outfit with dark pants; the fourth (our own NOBD) is, again, an example of pepping up an outfit by injecting a bit of (tasteful) color.post #10372 of 1411510/10/13 at 4:21pmpost #10373 of 1411510/10/13 at 4:52pmpost #10374 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:43pmTRINI pretty much said what I wanted to say.
Also, the only cases in which I did not like the light gray pants as much as the counterpart in those examples was when the jacket itself was also a lighter gray and was too similar and shade to the light gray pants.
And in many of those cases while blue may not of been bad, a darker gray or something in the brown family would I think be equally as good or possibly better.post #10375 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:45pmpost #10376 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:48pmLol, its Styfo dood. It is impossible to make it past this impasse.
Also, let it be noted that I personally do not hate navy pants. I do though prefer them to be non worsted. And still, it is difficult in my opinion to find examples where they are truly the best option. I have seen some examples with the light gray jacket, which also would be technically a no go ITT, but I think we're quite good. Malford had an excellent one iirc.post #10377 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:50pmpost #10378 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:54pmpost #10379 of 1411510/10/13 at 7:55pmpost #10380 of 1411510/10/13 at 8:02pmQuote:
But do you have/can wear the light grey flannels like those in Foo's pic in my last post? I'll admit, I haven't liked your efforts in this thread. If you have light grey flannel, try em with some odd jackets and see what the feedback is. Worth the experiment I think.
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1325 Active Users (247 Members and 1078 Guests)
- › Enzo Bonafe Whiskey Shell Boots UK 9 31 seconds ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 53 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 11 minutes ago
- › Tips for "wearing in" a new pair of loafers? 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding