Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:08 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 3/26/15 at 5:35pm in Classic Menswear
- What color shirt/tie to wear with my suit? Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:15am in Classic Menswear
- Fashion in Tonights Debate: Romney vs Obama Last post on 11/11/13 at 6:25am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/10/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 692post #10366 of 1390510/10/13 at 1:04pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #10367 of 1390510/10/13 at 1:09pmpost #10368 of 1390510/10/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
you got me.Quote:
very distracting, and not nearly as pleasing to the eye as the gray version.post #10369 of 1390510/10/13 at 1:58pmpost #10370 of 1390510/10/13 at 2:10pmpost #10371 of 1390510/10/13 at 4:04pmIt seems my last post didn't win everyone over, so here are a few more Photoshop jobs, this time using brown pants. I begun by skimming through Trini's "Best of ..." thread, and a theme quickly materialized: just as common wisdom holds, the prime candidates for brown pants (or, I suppose, pants in blue or navy) are sports coats in all shades of gray (another contentious issue -- let's not go there). I also found that some coats in light and mid shades of earth colors can look a bit odd when paired with mid-gray pants.
The first picture shows one such coat. I don't know about you, but to my eye, the original pants (to the right) sit too closely in tone to the sports coat. Maybe a slightly darker shade of gray would improve things, but in any case, the brown pants make, I think, a lovely match. I'm a sucker for this kind of fuddy-duddy grandpa look.
Next, we have a case of gray on gray, which is a well-known trouble area. Here, in addition to changing the color of the pants, I also darkened the tie to make it harmonize with the other garments. Alas, there was nothing I could do about the Windsor knot. (Original photo on the right.)
FInally, I have assembled four real outfits that I think showcase situations where colored pants work better than the gray staples. The first one illustrates what I wrote above about earth tones (in this case, beige) sometimes being a hard match with gray; the second illustrates how vivid blue pants can enliven an outfit (but gray would obviously work here, too); the third shows the power of anchoring an outfit with dark pants; the fourth (our own NOBD) is, again, an example of pepping up an outfit by injecting a bit of (tasteful) color.post #10372 of 1390510/10/13 at 4:21pmpost #10373 of 1390510/10/13 at 4:52pmpost #10374 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:43pmTRINI pretty much said what I wanted to say.
Also, the only cases in which I did not like the light gray pants as much as the counterpart in those examples was when the jacket itself was also a lighter gray and was too similar and shade to the light gray pants.
And in many of those cases while blue may not of been bad, a darker gray or something in the brown family would I think be equally as good or possibly better.post #10375 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:45pmpost #10376 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:48pmLol, its Styfo dood. It is impossible to make it past this impasse.
Also, let it be noted that I personally do not hate navy pants. I do though prefer them to be non worsted. And still, it is difficult in my opinion to find examples where they are truly the best option. I have seen some examples with the light gray jacket, which also would be technically a no go ITT, but I think we're quite good. Malford had an excellent one iirc.post #10377 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:50pmpost #10378 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:54pmpost #10379 of 1390510/10/13 at 7:55pmpost #10380 of 1390510/10/13 at 8:02pmQuote:
But do you have/can wear the light grey flannels like those in Foo's pic in my last post? I'll admit, I haven't liked your efforts in this thread. If you have light grey flannel, try em with some odd jackets and see what the feedback is. Worth the experiment I think.
- whnay.'s good taste thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Currently, there are 1495 Active Users (367 Members and 1128 Guests)
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Why all the hate for wholecuts? 6 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...