or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Uneven arm length.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uneven arm length.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
When I was recently being fitted by my tailor it was discovered that my right arm is about 1" shorter than my left, and as such she reccomended shortening my right sleeve more than the left to keep the relative position of the sleeves equal. Is this normal to do?
post #2 of 11
Is your arm shorter or is your shoulder lower? There are different reasons why one arm might hang lower than the other arm.

A lot of people are not so symmetrical. I do not know if one inch is a typical difference, though.
post #3 of 11
That's considered a significant "drop". I'd get a consult by a kinesthesiologist, physiotherapist, or chiropractor before you make any alterations. Chances are, it's caused by shoulder tension or orthotic issues.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Yea I called her up and told her to hold off on letting the sleve down. Could the fact that I bowl constantly throughout the week with my right arm cause it to be somewhat stretched out?
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Looking at myself in the mirror is looks like my left should is sitting higher up, and my right it more relaxed. What kind of doctor should I consult?

Also, would you cuff these pants? They are pleated, but I am not so sure about it because of the design.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3R3
Looking at myself in the mirror is looks like my left should is sitting higher up, and my right it more relaxed. What kind of doctor should I consult?
That's my problem as well. I went to a kineo/physio pair that did my diagnosis together - because they are associated with my fitness club - but all my treatment has been directed by the physio. If you're not experiencing pain, I get the impression that these problems are common enough that any of those three profesisonals should be fine. My treatment has been stretching various neck, shoulder, and back muscles. I've been doing them for two weeks and there's noticable improvement.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3R3
Also, would you cuff these pants? They are pleated, but I am not so sure about it because of the design.

There are folks who cuff everything, and some who are uncuffable, it is a matter of taste. But if you were somewhat in the middle (tho not inclined to cuff just one leg) then you might consider that the trousers are fairly formal in design (though not true "formal striped trousers") and formal pants shouldn't be cuffed. Also, cuffs break the long line created by trousers, reinforced further by your stripes. This would suggest not having cuffs to make yourself appear taller, unless you feel your legs look too long. If nobody has said that to you before, then no, your legs do not look too long.

I'm a no-cuffs guy though. I'd forgive you if you got cuffs.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampan
There are folks who cuff everything, and some who are uncuffable, it is a matter of taste. But if you were somewhat in the middle (tho not inclined to cuff just one leg) then you might consider that the trousers are fairly formal in design (though not true "formal striped trousers") and formal pants shouldn't be cuffed. Also, cuffs break the long line created by trousers, reinforced further by your stripes. This would suggest not having cuffs to make yourself appear taller, unless you feel your legs look too long. If nobody has said that to you before, then no, your legs do not look too long.

I'm a no-cuffs guy though. I'd forgive you if you got cuffs.
The only reason I thouhgt to cuff was because they are pleated, but you diagnosis is noted.
post #9 of 11
cuff em. if you have a change of mind later then change to plain bottoms.
you cant do it the other way around.
post #10 of 11
the bowling thing just may be the reason.
hardly anyone is perfictly symmetrical. if your right shoulder is lower then check to see if your right hip is higher. they usually go together.
post #11 of 11
As noted, different men have different ideas about cuffing the trousers. The comment about "formal" trousers not being cuffed is correct - but only as it relates to the actual formal trousers.

My thoughts have changed during the past 40 years.
I've now concluded that I prefer cuffed so that there is some weight and substance to the bottom of the trousers. It will cause the trousers to hang better and the hem will hold the shape better, IMHO. However, I also do not like much break at all. Shaken' not Breakin' is my preferred length. Just slightly touching the tops of the dress shoes and covering most of the laces. Getting the trousers set to the proper place on the wasit is the key to having the hem come out correctly. Wear a belt when doing the fitting and get that last 1/4" correct.

As to the uneven sleeves, I can offer no advice as I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. If only . . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Uneven arm length.