or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread - Page 10

post #136 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Allez View Post



Is there a website where there are a lot of images from Apparel Arts available to look at? Or do you have to try to score old hard copies?

It's really amazing how hard it is to find that stuff. I remember a few years ago going to the Library of a Congress one weekend to unearth the bound editions but to my disappointment found that almost every issue was cut to pieces by people who would remove large swaths of the pages. And some volumes were completely missing.
post #137 of 146
Thread Starter 
^that is disappointing. AA aren't the only tough to find books. It's a shame nik cohn's book there are no more gentlemen isn't available online somewhere.
post #138 of 146
Hey guys,

Amazing thread!

Can anybody suggest a book (or maybe ten?) on men's fashion/style/tailoring/etc that is aimed more at guys of 18-35 age groups with interest in modern casual but still stylish menswear? Stuff like you see on Tumblr with hashtag #menswear and similar: street wear, Americana, avant-garde, anti-establishment clothing, Sprezzatura's mix and similar?

Anything (books, articles, essays, ebooks, websites) relevant to that kind of style - shoes, accessories, etc. - would also be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks smile.gif
post #139 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powka View Post

Hey guys,

Amazing thread!

Can anybody suggest a book (or maybe ten?) on men's fashion/style/tailoring/etc that is aimed more at guys of 18-35 age groups with interest in modern casual but still stylish menswear? Stuff like you see on Tumblr with hashtag #menswear and similar: street wear, Americana, avant-garde, anti-establishment clothing, Sprezzatura's mix and similar?

Anything (books, articles, essays, ebooks, websites) relevant to that kind of style - shoes, accessories, etc. - would also be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks smile.gif

I'd say The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style by Nicholas Antongiavanni.
post #140 of 146
That book was useless without pics.

Also the bit alleging that the success or lack theor of various presidents being a factor of their level of style while obviously tongue in cheek was a waste of ink IMO.
post #141 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianiceman View Post

That book was useless without pics.

Also the bit alleging that the success or lack theor of various presidents being a factor of their level of style while obviously tongue in cheek was a waste of ink IMO.
post #142 of 146
The strand has a copy of Flussers Clothes and the Man for $35. It's a good out of print reference.
post #143 of 146

Regarding those titles that have multiple editions, do you gents think it's crucial to read the latest one? For example, there is a cheap copy of style and the man on ebay, but its the 1996 version. 

post #144 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp View Post

Regarding those titles that have multiple editions, do you gents think it's crucial to read the latest one? For example, there is a cheap copy of style and the man on ebay, but its the 1996 version. 

I can't speak to every title, obviously, but of the titles I've own multiple copies of -- in different versions -- they've more or less been the same across the board. I have found that the latest versions of Roetzel are better than old ones, but only really worth buying if you don't mind spending the money, or if you haven't owned the older versions. Almost every other title has been too similar to care about (between versions).

The exception are guides to perfumes and fragrances, which must be updated because houses change formulas. So, if you're reading an old version of a book, the description and rating of some scent might not properly reflect what you might buy on the market.
post #145 of 146
I would go with the 1996 Style and the Man. It has an outdated but interesting section on stores that isn't in the more recent edition.
post #146 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


I can't speak to every title, obviously, but of the titles I've own multiple copies of -- in different versions -- they've more or less been the same across the board. I have found that the latest versions of Roetzel are better than old ones, but only really worth buying if you don't mind spending the money, or if you haven't owned the older versions. Almost every other title has been too similar to care about (between versions).

The exception are guides to perfumes and fragrances, which must be updated because houses change formulas. So, if you're reading an old version of a book, the description and rating of some scent might not properly reflect what you might buy on the market.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post

I would go with the 1996 Style and the Man. It has an outdated but interesting section on stores that isn't in the more recent edition.

Thanks fellas.  Order placed :teach:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread