or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 541

post #8101 of 15235
Thread Starter 
VeRO is an ebay program. It's a network of companies that joined to fight counterfeit items and in general protect the integrity of a brand. This includes an ebay policy to forbid grey market items from being sold. It sounds like that's the category in which your item fell.

Your product was made for another market, i.e. Europe. The brand saw your listing and reported it in violation of VeRO and ebay removed it. The policy prevents people from buying products destined for a cheaper market, items that use different systems, etc.

Everyone is allowed to sell the brands listed, as long as they follow the policies. If you're reported by the brand (many hire third party companies to monitor the internet), your listing is removed. I wasn't aware that you're then hit with a freeze as Spoo said, but it's certainly possible.
post #8102 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

Most companies are only after counterfeiters.

My only hope is that company is reasonable. I have a direct line to about 40% of their customer base. If I have to blog about this, their business would be severely impacted.

If its a small company why dont you just give them a ring?

post #8103 of 15235
If my item was gray market, how was it sold by an authorised dealer in New York City? This whole thing (Ebay program included) stinks to me. The idea that a company can remove listings for a made up reason?

The company isn't even listed in the Vero program page, so how is one to even know what the rules are for selling their products or even who else is in the program?

Like I said, I sent an email, so hopefully the can be reasonable.
post #8104 of 15235
^because it was sold by an authorized dealer. You aren't. Though I agree, if they aren't on the VeRo list, it's unfair of them to shut you down.
post #8105 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post


It still shouldn't matter if I sell it as new or unused. Taking something home does not make it used. Opening the package and using it makes it used.

I can understand it for certain reasons, like the different market thing.

There are a few sites I used to frequent when I bike raced that sold things that were OEM directly to customers for less than shops would pay. It was gray market and I can understand why companies wouldn't want to piss off their dealers.

Just because I understand doesn't mean I like it. Companies also want to protect their buyers (okay... make money) so if you're selling something as new, there's no way for them to get the warranty on it. Certain companies still stand behind their products, others throw hissy fits.

post #8106 of 15235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

If my item was gray market, how was it sold by an authorised dealer in New York City? This whole thing (Ebay program included) stinks to me. The idea that a company can remove listings for a made up reason?

The company isn't even listed in the Vero program page, so how is one to even know what the rules are for selling their products or even who else is in the program?

Like I said, I sent an email, so hopefully the can be reasonable.

I don't know enough about it to tell you, to be honest. However, sometimes product codes give this information to people in the know. It's also possible that the original dealer sent you something that was to be sold somewhere else. The ebay message just implies that the company filed a complaint for that reason. If it were removed for a bogus reason or if the company (or its parent company, if it has one) is not a member of VeRO, it's wrong.

These types of programs can be strong, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which side you fall). In general, and it changes depending on the country/area, but you may sell or re-sell items without permission from the manufacturer. It's the right of second sale. Certain restrictions exist. For example, you are not allowed to use the company's logo or advertise their name without permission. You are, however, allowed to use the brand name to advertise the specific item as its inherent to the description.
post #8107 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

VeRO is an ebay program. It's a network of companies that joined to fight counterfeit items and in general protect the integrity of a brand. This includes an ebay policy to forbid grey market items from being sold. It sounds like that's the category in which your item fell.

Your product was made for another market, i.e. Europe. The brand saw your listing and reported it in violation of VeRO and ebay removed it. The policy prevents people from buying products destined for a cheaper market, items that use different systems, etc.

Everyone is allowed to sell the brands listed, as long as they follow the policies. If you're reported by the brand (many hire third party companies to monitor the internet), your listing is removed. I wasn't aware that you're then hit with a freeze as Spoo said, but it's certainly possible.

Exactly.

It may have changed, but when you get hit with a Vero strike, you cant list any brands on a Vero list for quite some time, even if you have no "priors" on your account. If you check your my ebay page where it says policy compliance, you will see if you have any restrictions.
post #8108 of 15235
Sorry you have to go through this fueco.
post #8109 of 15235
One more thing - if the vero strike happened AFTER the listing had expired, it cannot count against you.
post #8110 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

VeRO is an ebay program. It's a network of companies that joined to fight counterfeit items and in general protect the integrity of a brand. This includes an ebay policy to forbid grey market items from being sold. It sounds like that's the category in which your item fell.

Your product was made for another market, i.e. Europe. The brand saw your listing and reported it in violation of VeRO and ebay removed it. The policy prevents people from buying products destined for a cheaper market, items that use different systems, etc.

Everyone is allowed to sell the brands listed, as long as they follow the policies. If you're reported by the brand (many hire third party companies to monitor the internet), your listing is removed. I wasn't aware that you're then hit with a freeze as Spoo said, but it's certainly possible.


VeRO, although i understand their objective, is clearly trying to strong arm sellers such as Fueco. Could he be listing a counterfeit item? Yeah. Could he not? Yeah.


Anyways, just to confirm, if I've 10 dresses from Diane Von Furstenberg then I am unable to sell these? I'm still not quite understanding how VERO can flag my listing and ultimately take it down.

If this is the case ... a lot of my women's clothes that I need to list ... won't be able to get listed....
post #8111 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Sorry to say Fueco, but if youve been VERO'd, youre screwed. This has nothing to do of where you got it, whatever it was - that company did not want your listing up for some reason and they killed it. You can try to appeal, but 99% of the time, its useless.

You now cant list any brand in the Vero list for something like 60 or 90 days.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

 

The one time I was hit with a VeRO (by Barbour), I fought it and won - got an apology from Barbour, who also contacted eBay and said it was their bad, not mine.  Turned out their intellectual rights claim was on the photos used, not the item itself...they assumed I had swiped a few stock photos from their website, when in fact I swiped the photos from a different store's website.
In any case, Fueco I hope it turns out positively for you but sounds like your VeRO is quite different and they don't want you selling whatever it is to whomever you're offering it to; stepping on the exclusive distribution rights of someone else is what I'm guessing, and maybe not filed by the company themselves but a 3rd party acting on their behalf, appropriately or not.
post #8112 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post


VeRO, although i understand their objective, is clearly trying to strong arm sellers such as Fueco. Could he be listing a counterfeit item? Yeah. Could he not? Yeah.


Anyways, just to confirm, if I've 10 dresses from Diane Von Furstenberg then I am unable to sell these? I'm still not quite understanding how VERO can flag my listing and ultimately take it down.

If this is the case ... a lot of my women's clothes that I need to list ... won't be able to get listed....

 

No, that list is just a list of companies that participate in the VeRO program, and is not all-encompassing - many other companies will troll eBay and flag items.  It does not mean you cannot sell items from companies on that list, it just means you better be sure you're allowed to sell it, that it's legit and all is copacetic.  

post #8113 of 15235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

No, that list is just a list of companies that participate in the VeRO program, and is not all-encompassing - many other companies will troll eBay and flag items.  It does not mean you cannot sell items from companies on that list, it just means you better be sure you're allowed to sell it, that it's legit and all is copacetic.  

Essentially you're saying these companies just want to hold up the integrity of the item I am selling aka their item
post #8114 of 15235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lnamja View Post

VeRO, although i understand their objective, is clearly trying to strong arm sellers such as Fueco. Could he be listing a counterfeit item? Yeah. Could he not? Yeah.


Anyways, just to confirm, if I've 10 dresses from Diane Von Furstenberg then I am unable to sell these? I'm still not quite understanding how VERO can flag my listing and ultimately take it down.

If this is the case ... a lot of my women's clothes that I need to list ... won't be able to get listed....

They're possibly trying to shut him down, though more information would be needed before we jump to that conclusion. These types of programs have been used to do just that. The company doesn't seem to be claiming that his item is counterfeit, rather that it was intended to be sold elsewhere. Based on the email he received, had he restricted the "ship to" countries to only those where the product was intended, he wouldn't be in violation.

You're completely fine selling the dresses and any other brand on the list. You just need to follow guidelines. Ebay doesn't monitor, they're self-reported by the companies themselves. Therefore, a lazy company will allow quite a few things to slide.

Take Zegna, for example. They're not on the list, so it's not really necessary that you adhere to VeRO policies. However, on the manufacturer tag, you'll find that there is a small box for nationality. The country/regional code is given in which the item should be sold. If they were members and you sold a jacket that was destined for the Italian market in the US, they could file a complaint. If your dresses are intended for the US market, you will have no worries.
post #8115 of 15235
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

One more thing - if the vero strike happened AFTER the listing had expired, it cannot count against you.

Nice to know!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions