or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 418

post #6256 of 14120
I do. About 20 minutes from MD. I guess that could work. I mean about a third of my thrifting loop is in MD, so I am already conducting some business there. Not sure how it could play out, but I sure don't want an added rent expense at this point in the game. Maybe down the road.
post #6257 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

I can consign, but I can't sell for other people, via auction on ebay, if I am collecting commission without first obtaining an auctioneers license. It's a totally ridiculous law they came up with a few years ago because the Auctioneers in PA were complaining about losing money to online sellers. The license requires 18 months of school, a one year apprenticeship at a live auction house where I would have to run 35 live auctions, and a test.  

I read an article saying that the law was changed in 2008 to allow "online trading assistants" to operate by just paying a registration fee to State Auctioneers Board and posting a $5,000 surety bond. Don't know if that's changed since then or who they define "online trading assistant" particularly since ebay ended that program.

 

edit: Link http://www.auctioncentralnews.com/index.php/features/auction-houses/41-houses/212-new-pa-law-requires-online-trading-assistants-to-be-licensed-bonded

post #6258 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post
 

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. (Sold for $105.99 - thanks Terapeak)

 

:laugh:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fueco View Post
 

I keep getting warnings about images that are too small to maintain my top rated seller status (I ALWAYS upload at 2MP).

 

I got one or two image warnings on old listings, but I ignored them and now they've gone away.

post #6259 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcRibb View Post
 

I read an article saying that the law was changed in 2008 to allow "online trading assistants" to operate by just paying a registration fee to State Auctioneers Board and posting a $5,000 surety bond. Don't know if that's changed since then or who they define "online trading assistant" particularly since ebay ended that program.

 

edit: Link http://www.auctioncentralnews.com/index.php/features/auction-houses/41-houses/212-new-pa-law-requires-online-trading-assistants-to-be-licensed-bonded

That is exactly the law I am taking about. If you read that more carefully, you will see that you have to obtain the license too. I didn't even realize the added expense of the bonding and registration as well.

post #6260 of 14120

@txwoodworker, you use Terapeak, because I've seen you quote it on a couple of occasions. Does anyone else use it? What are its most valuable aspects? I don't think my sales justify it yet, but...

post #6261 of 14120

If you received a last minute bid on an item by a fake, generated sounding eBay buyer who recently signed up and then didn't pay, would you assume that it was created by the person who was winning the auction, but they had a change of heart at the last moment?

post #6262 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Main Man View Post
 

If you received a last minute bid on an item by a fake, generated sounding eBay buyer who recently signed up and then didn't pay, would you assume that it was created by the person who was winning the auction, but they had a change of heart at the last moment?

Ehh, it's tough to make a fake account with Pay Pal and not tie it back to you.  I'm assuming you have a filter on your auctions that requires people to have a PP account to bid? If not, I assume a eBay account is easier to make up without one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill79 View Post
 

@txwoodworker, you use Terapeak, because I've seen you quote it on a couple of occasions. Does anyone else use it? What are its most valuable aspects? I don't think my sales justify it yet, but...

Bought to use w/ mobile app, but it's not yet compatible with my S4, so that sucks.  Using to set good BIN's.  If you follow the 9.99 or similar auction model, terapeak is really not helpful.  Has 90day back research, I think the ebay app is 30 days.  Easy to justify if you spring for the whole year at once and do moderate ebay biz.

post #6263 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post
 

Bought to use w/ mobile app, but it's not yet compatible with my S4, so that sucks.  Using to set good BIN's.  If you follow the 9.99 or similar auction model, terapeak is really not helpful.  Has 90day back research, I think the ebay app is 30 days.  Easy to justify if you spring for the whole year at once and do moderate ebay biz.

 

Thanks, this info helps.

post #6264 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

......wish me luck!

 

I say go for it, if you can get the wife on board and have numbers to support your argument (which you do).  Especially if you hate your regular job.  You probably already have a disaster / fall-back amount saved for when things slow down a bit here and there.  There really isn't much worse than working a job you despise.

 

I was bouncing the idea around myself, based on one month where I put more work into flipping than I ever did - about 40 hours total for the whole month and made 50% of what I made at my real job that month working 160 hours.  I also loathe my job at this point - got the 7 year itch.  Maybe wait and see if I get a raise after my review, and stick around for the holiday bonus.  I had a guy ask me if I wanted $10k of his to invest in some sort of small / start-up business venture, so there's that as well...

 

Anyway, hope you are able to do it and be uber-successful at it!  

post #6265 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

A few updates....

New Laptop:

Got my new Macbook Pro.  It's Awesome! So far I hate it....massive learning curve. Currently it is streaming country radio, while I type this on my HP. It is going to take me some time to become navigationally efficient on that thing.


Job:

It looks like I may have convinced the wife to switch back to "Plan A". I think she is about 90% on board so far. I have to be on best behavior for the next few weeks. I think I have already covered all the points she was concerned about, and she seems pretty confident I can make it happen.  


Inventory:

Having a couple thousand pieces of backlogged inventory is cumbersome enough on its own. However, having company over and trying to make it all "disappear" for the weekend....that, my friends, is the real challenge.


New laptop: number of Mac people here. I, and am sure many others, will offer support when you need it.

Job: never a doubt. Based on your results, you job is costing a larger opportunity.

Inventory: wow. Sounds like you need about a week of sick days. Before you quit.
post #6266 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post



Inventory:

Having a couple thousand pieces of backlogged inventory is cumbersome enough on its own. However, having company over and trying to make it all "disappear" for the weekend....that, my friends, is the real challenge.

Jesus, this is the WORST THING TO HAPPEN EVER.

I volunteer to pay for dinners out so I dont have to host and hide. But this year, I think my wife volunteered Xmas here ffffuuuu.gif
post #6267 of 14120
Quote:

Job: never a doubt. Based on your results, you job is costing a larger opportunity.

Inventory: wow. Sounds like you need about a week of sick days. Before you quit.

So true! Live the dream, yo!

I think he's going to need a lot more than a week! I've only got about a hundred and I feel swamped. I've created 40 listings in the past 24 hours.
post #6268 of 14120
Quote:
 
 
Listing HERE
 
It's a custom HF 3yrs old, working cuffs, fabric is nuts, wish it was smaller.  Couldn't say no to it.
 
 

 

This is my size and costs about a quarter of what I just spent on a SC full retail. Is it difficult to get a good fit from consigned suits and jackets or is there usually enough play in the fabric that the correct size can usually be tailored to fit well? I've never bought clothes on Ebay.

post #6269 of 14120
Update

Inventory:

I got it all put away, neatly. House is spotless, as usual ( my wife is one of those perpetual cleaner types). My best friend's wife has had a onset of vertigo and they are not even coming up now. Ugh. Bummed.
post #6270 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dlwgosh View Post
 

 

This is my size and costs about a quarter of what I just spent on a SC full retail. Is it difficult to get a good fit from consigned suits and jackets or is there usually enough play in the fabric that the correct size can usually be tailored to fit well? I've never bought clothes on Ebay.

If it's the right size of a brand you know, you're pretty safe.  It is usually just a matter of sleeve length, maybe the waist has been taken in, depending on the fabric, and the extent of the modifications, quite often they are reversible.  Most likely no alterations have been made at all. Like my auctions state, ALWAYS check measurements. It's pretty easy to spot something that has been extensively modified if you know what you're looking at.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions