or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 5

post #61 of 18256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettison View Post

Huh, I've recently sent both a suit and tie to Italy with no problems.

Is this only for those outside of the EU? I'd imagine it would constitute a barrier to free movement of goods and thus be outlawed within the EU.

No worries, this is only from outside the EU. They can't restrict sales within the EU as, for all intents and purposes, it's not really importing or exporting. I don't know how difficult it is to get things to Italians and Greeks from outside the EU.
post #62 of 18256

No one really addressed it earlier, so ill ask again because I think it is an issue all new ebayers such as myself struggle with. Initial pricing, as a whole, do you guys prefer to start low to generate interest, or start high to ensure a good value? Also, any point in having an Ebay store if almost all of my items are auction format?

post #63 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

No one really addressed it earlier, so ill ask again because I think it is an issue all new ebayers such as myself struggle with. Initial pricing, as a whole, do you guys prefer to start low to generate interest, or start high to ensure a good value? Also, any point in having an Ebay store if almost all of my items are auction format?

I set my free shipping auctions with a start price that covers the shipping (90 day average) plus cost of the item, packaging and a little profit. Usually around $30. If I get only one bid, I make a little money. The Free shipping subconsciously attracts bidders, opposed to the same item with a lower price and a shipping cost.

 

Use this link to calculate the value of opening a store. It will help you see what the best choice for you is.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeIllustrator.html

 

Once you have a store, try to become a top rate seller.... you will get an extra 20% discount on FVFs (there is a toggle for this discount in the fees illustrator above.)


Edited by capnwes - 8/2/12 at 7:34am
post #64 of 18256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

No one really addressed it earlier, so ill ask again because I think it is an issue all new ebayers such as myself struggle with. Initial pricing, as a whole, do you guys prefer to start low to generate interest, or start high to ensure a good value? Also, any point in having an Ebay store if almost all of my items are auction format?

I'm still experimenting with this. Right now, I'm doing a mix of auctions that have a low starting price, items that are straight BIN and some that are BIN/OBO. I personally have eliminated the auction + BIN simply because they always sold at auction, no one exercised the BIN.

I do find that for shirts, I do better with a BIN. Shoes have done well with an OBO. My acceptance of them has been at about 80% of the BIN price and that includes a small increase to allow for low-ball offers.

Specialty items with in-demand names go for straight auction. The market tells me what they're worth.
post #65 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

I set my free shipping auctions with a start price that covers the shipping (90 day average) plus cost of the item, packaging and a little profit. Usually around $30. If I get only one bid, I make a little money. The Free shipping subconsciously attracts bidders, opposed to the same item with a lower price and a shipping cost.

 

Use this link to calculate the value of opening a store. It will help you see what the best choice for you is.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeIllustrator.html

 

Once you have a store, try to become a top rate seller.... you will get an extra 20% discount on FVFs (there is a toggle for this discount in the fees illustrator above.)

In addition, as a store "owner", you will occasionally get extra days (sometimes weeks) of free listing periods, not available to the simple seller. I don't believe these promotions are shown in the illustrator.

 

Also top-rated sellers shipping at higher volumes get discounts on priority shipping through the ebay shipping tool. Around 30% or so. It is actually cheaper to ship priority on most items under 5 pounds, provided they are not being sent coast to coast.

post #66 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

So eBay found in your favor, but they refunded him the full amount, including shipping both ways?

found in my favor and refunded him the initial shipping, he was still on the hook for the return shipping.

As the guy on the phone at ebay put it: [when there's nothing wrong with the item] the buyer is responsible for shipping both ways, otherwise it would just encourage unaccountable buyer's remorse".




As for starting prices, I usually start things at around $4.99, or $9.99. The exception being item's I've bought for myself where I just want to get as much of my money back as possible, and don;t want to risk losing a bunch.

I've noticed a lot of people from the thrift thread doing fixed price auctions which I don;t really use. I supposed it's good for less desirable things, like asking $79 for a HSM suit and hoping some rube buys it, but I imagine the stuff just piles up.
post #67 of 18256
A lot of the high end brands have a smaller target audience than Robert graham, Hugo boss, etc. Using fixed price format allows you to sell the item for what it's really worth by waiting for the right buyer to come along. Otherwise you end up selling nice things for the starting bid because you just didn't get enough traffic on your listing. I've done a lot better price wise with fixed price listings. However, sometimes you want to turn over inventory and don't feel like sitting on things for weeks or months.
post #68 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

A lot of the high end brands have a smaller target audience than Robert graham, Hugo boss, etc. Using fixed price format allows you to sell the item for what it's really worth by waiting for the right buyer to come along. Otherwise you end up selling nice things for the starting bid because you just didn't get enough traffic on your listing. I've done a lot better price wise with fixed price listings. However, sometimes you want to turn over inventory and don't feel like sitting on things for weeks or months.

+1

 

If you buy/sell pretty much anything you will find in the long run, people will pair a fair market price for an item if reach a large enough audience. The problem with ebay is that you rely on people finding your item with a fixed time frame. It you price stuff fairly, its not as much about the price as just waiting for the right person to come along and find it.

post #69 of 18256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

A lot of the high end brands have a smaller target audience than Robert graham, Hugo boss, etc. Using fixed price format allows you to sell the item for what it's really worth by waiting for the right buyer to come along. Otherwise you end up selling nice things for the starting bid because you just didn't get enough traffic on your listing. I've done a lot better price wise with fixed price listings. However, sometimes you want to turn over inventory and don't feel like sitting on things for weeks or months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

+1

If you buy/sell pretty much anything you will find in the long run, people will pair a fair market price for an item if reach a large enough audience. The problem with ebay is that you rely on people finding your item with a fixed time frame. It you price stuff fairly, its not as much about the price as just waiting for the right person to come along and find it.

Yeah, when I have auctions running and very few views and no watchers, I start to get a bit worried. However, with fixed-price listings, I know it only takes one person to click "sofort kaufen" (buy it now) to make the sale.
post #70 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

+1

 

If you buy/sell pretty much anything you will find in the long run, people will pair a fair market price for an item if reach a large enough audience. The problem with ebay is that you rely on people finding your item with a fixed time frame. It you price stuff fairly, its not as much about the price as just waiting for the right person to come along and find it.

 

On this point, what is a fair buy it now price for a new with tags charcoal or navy suit that is solid or has a subtle pattern?  I'm thinking something pretty nice like Samuelsohn, Polo, Corneliani, Canali, etc. 

post #71 of 18256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

On this point, what is a fair buy it now price for a new with tags charcoal or navy suit that is solid or has a subtle pattern?  I'm thinking something pretty nice like Samuelsohn, Polo, Corneliani, Canali, etc. 

If you're in the market, I'd say somewhere between $500-700 and the same (or possibly a bit more) in €€€. If you're selling, obviously style, age, construction and size make a huge difference. Small sizes sell well because they aren't seen as often. I'd guess the sweet spot would be what the average man wears.
post #72 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

If you're in the market, I'd say somewhere between $500-700 and the same (or possibly a bit more) in €€€. If you're selling, obviously style, age, construction and size make a huge difference. Small sizes sell well because they aren't seen as often. I'd guess the sweet spot would be what the average man wears.

That seems really high to me.
post #73 of 18256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post

That seems really high to me.

I give those prices with Corneliani and Canali in mind. I'd also say that I think it's hard to find these in navy. Like everything, I'm sure the deals are out there. It would also probably go way down if one were looking for something less "staple."
post #74 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

No one really addressed it earlier, so ill ask again because I think it is an issue all new ebayers such as myself struggle with. Initial pricing, as a whole, do you guys prefer to start low to generate interest, or start high to ensure a good value? Also, any point in having an Ebay store if almost all of my items are auction format?

I think in 9,000 transactions, Ive done like 20 BIN OBOs. I believe in market value. smile.gif
post #75 of 18256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

No one really addressed it earlier, so ill ask again because I think it is an issue all new ebayers such as myself struggle with. Initial pricing, as a whole, do you guys prefer to start low to generate interest, or start high to ensure a good value? Also, any point in having an Ebay store if almost all of my items are auction format?
I think in 9,000 transactions, Ive done like 20 BIN OBOs. I believe in market value. smile.gif

 

I'm no Spoo, but in about 1000 transactions I've done maybe 20 auctions and only once did the item go for more then I thought I could get with a BIN OBO. I believe in finding the right buyer to maximize your profit. Ebay does not always generate fair market value, especially for new ebayers such as yourself Jpmorris. You (and I) dont have the amount of views needed to max out the $$$ on ebay that if patient will eventually be realized with a BIN OBO. Just my 2 cents, and different business models, BUT try them both out, see which one works best for you depending on what kind of stuff you are selling.

 

SIDE NOTE: This is a GREAT!!!! thread and I hope more people take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that the contributors of this forum bring to the table.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions