or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 256

post #3826 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

I think it's also helpful to be choosy on the input supply side i.e. what you're picking to flip. 

 

Yes. 

post #3827 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Have you tried that Ferragamo archive site. You might be able to pinpoint the model name and then research the materials that way.

 

http://www.shoearchives.com/Ferragamo%20Pages/salvatoreferragamoarchivePG1.htm

 

Weird.. my malware protection program keeps blocking the site -- calling it a potentially malicious site.  Never seen it do that before.

post #3828 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

To echo suited, when I list I want to make sure I'm not going to lose money. Therefore, no 99 cent auctions.

I dabble with free shipping, especially on higher value items over $100. I seem to recall that Free Shipping might have your listing appear higher in the search results.

I think it's also helpful to be choosy on the input supply side i.e. what you're picking to flip. Be sure of your margins and don't waste time on low-margin items. Note: low-margin is something we have to each define for ourselves - someone may be happy clearing $20-$30 / item while someone else sets their benchmark at $75. It's about finding a balance between quality vs quantity/volume.

Also, you want to consider how much inventory you can reasonably carry because you want to consider your mix of auctions vs BIN. I'm becoming a big proponent of setting a price (with maybe a Best Offer) and letting it ride. The right buyer will come along.

 

Some thoughts on Free shipping (pros and cons).  I've heard it raises your items if people aren't sorting by price or time, but...

 

Recently got Power Seller rating and had my first month of reduced shipping and 20% discount on Final Value Fee.  

 

Noticed that the 20% fee reduction does NOT apply to shipping.  So if I want that (20-30 cents per item), I have to put free shipping on it and roll the shipping into the price of the item.  That means that on any returns, I'll have to refund my shipping costs as part of the original purchase price... doesn't sound like a good deal from a risk perspective -- you break even if 1 out of 40ish items is returned?

No thanks.

post #3829 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wman View Post
- you break even if 1 out of 40ish items is returned?

No thanks.

what is your average rate of return? 1 out of 40 is returned?

post #3830 of 16774

I get 1 out of 30 items returned on avg

post #3831 of 16774
  • Learn your labels, read though the thrift brag thread.
  • Research the prices on ebay so you have a general rule of thumb in your mind what its going to sell for BEFORE YOU BUY THE ITEM (can't stress this enough)
  • Take good photos and measurements (THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT)

 

 

I do free shipping with no returns and have been a Top Rated / Power Seller for a while. It's not worth the possible hassle and amount of savings is SO minimal. Ebay tries to make it sound like a lot but it really isnt. $100 item = $10 fee = $2-3 savings. So its not really 20-30% its really 2-3%, WTF. It costs me 5-15% just so ship a $100 item depending on where it's going.

post #3832 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

I think it's also helpful to be choosy on the input supply side i.e. what you're picking to flip. Be sure of your margins and don't waste time on low-margin items. Note: low-margin is something we have to each define for ourselves - someone may be happy clearing $20-$30 / item while someone else sets their benchmark at $75. It's about finding a balance between quality vs quantity/volume.

 

...though one can sell bundled lots of low-margin items and double (more or less) your investment.  Takes time to find the items, but people do buy them, and they don't necessarily have to be in pristine condition.  Example.  I've done it a couple times and was happy with the result, but it's obviously not as nice as flipping one higher-end item.

post #3833 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

To echo suited, when I list I want to make sure I'm not going to lose money. Therefore, no 99 cent auctions.

I dabble with free shipping, especially on higher value items over $100. I seem to recall that Free Shipping might have your listing appear higher in the search results.

I think it's also helpful to be choosy on the input supply side i.e. what you're picking to flip. Be sure of your margins and don't waste time on low-margin items. Note: low-margin is something we have to each define for ourselves - someone may be happy clearing $20-$30 / item while someone else sets their benchmark at $75. It's about finding a balance between quality vs quantity/volume.

Also, you want to consider how much inventory you can reasonably carry because you want to consider your mix of auctions vs BIN. I'm becoming a big proponent of setting a price (with maybe a Best Offer) and letting it ride. The right buyer will come along.

Yeah, as soon as I realized that this wasn't going to be tax free (and how much time it was going to consume), I started passing on things I might have otherwise purchased, just because the margin wasn't really worth it. This is especially true for things like shirts, because they require the most prep work for the photos. If it's a pair of shoes, not a big deal since those can be photographed in a jiffy and there aren't a bunch of measurements I need to take - so I'd be okay with a smaller margin there.

I do use some $0.99 auctions every once in a while. If I find some shirts that aren't in great condition, I will auction them at 99 cents. I've done it on occasion for nice things, too, just to drive traffic, but it only makes up a very small % of my items.
post #3834 of 16774
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Jabba and HBK, I'm small potatoes when it comes to selling, but from what I've seen here, the best way to drive traffic and bids to your auctions is to be a reputable seller, build good feedback, be responsive to buyers, ship promptly, and have a consistent volume of stuff for sale that makes buyers want to come back. Plus the usual stuff like taking good pictures, listing flaws honestly, etc.

Orgetorix hits it on the head and everyone else had great advice as well.


Re: free shipping/buy it now/auction style listings

I played around with it for awhile and settled on most listings as buy-it-now. I almost always get the max out of them that way, but it can take some time. What I've recently started (and been very happy with) is having listings last 30 days and then turning them over to auctions. I'm more confident with it, especially items that had 5-10 watchers that never bought. The items had been listed, so I have an idea of what type of traffic they'll get. Things that have little traffic will stay as buy-it-nows. It's a good way to balance maximizing sale prices while maintaining turnover. The auctions also add a boost to my traffic and have combined a couple of sales as a result of them.
post #3835 of 16774
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Orgetorix hits it on the head and everyone else had great advice as well.


Re: free shipping/buy it now/auction style listings

I played around with it for awhile and settled on most listings as buy-it-now. I almost always get the max out of them that way, but it can take some time. What I've recently started (and been very happy with) is having listings last 30 days and then turning them over to auctions. I'm more confident with it, especially items that had 5-10 watchers that never bought. The items had been listed, so I have an idea of what type of traffic they'll get. Things that have little traffic will stay as buy-it-nows. It's a good way to balance maximizing sale prices while maintaining turnover. The auctions also add a boost to my traffic and have combined a couple of sales as a result of them.

When you flip from BIN to auction, how much do you change your starting bid to?
post #3836 of 16774
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post

When you flip from BIN to auction, how much do you change your starting bid to?

I was dropping it about 10% and then assuming I would get a single bid. I have 15 or so auctions that end on Sunday that I dropped to €9.99. They were selected because they all had a lot of traffic and watchers, but simply weren't selling at the buy-it-now price, even when I reduced it 10-15% for 3 day sales (I have an ebay shop that allows this). One item has 45 watchers on it, most have between 20-30 watchers. I will have a better idea when they end if it works well.

I really hope it does as I would like to keep 100-125 items at buy-it-now at all times and do auctions for those that are (nearly) guaranteed to generate interest and competing bids. I hope to find a good balance for quicker sales to move inventory, drive traffic to my fixed price listings and maximize the €€€ on those.
post #3837 of 16774
Does Ebay have any traffic analytics info that I've missed somewhere? When one of my listings blows up, I usually assume it's been featured on PTO, and that's usually the case. But a couple of my items have gotten a ton of traffic that weren't listed by PTO, and I'd like to know where else the traffic is coming from. Is there any way to tell?
post #3838 of 16774
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Does Ebay have any traffic analytics info that I've missed somewhere? When one of my listings blows up, I usually assume it's been featured on PTO, and that's usually the case. But a couple of my items have gotten a ton of traffic that weren't listed by PTO, and I'd like to know where else the traffic is coming from. Is there any way to tell?

I haven't found anything that tells me exact info, though I'd love it. When you have a shop, you can sign up for some analytics. It will give you the daily number of page visits, unique users, and where they found you (ebay.de, ebay.at, google.com, etc.). It's useful and I read up on it, but I'd love to know when someone shares a link or other key terms. I can see some search terms they use on google or yahoo and I can see terms searched within my shop.

I believe there are a couple of third party apps that are paid subscription that give you more info. I'll see if I can find those links.
post #3839 of 16774
post #3840 of 16774
What is PTO?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions