or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 253

post #3781 of 16824
Just wondering how this might turn out:

Sold a baseball jersey to a guy in North Carolina a couple weeks ago. Sent to the confirmed address on his PayPal account. Jersey came back today from post office marked "Insufficient Address," and I had to pay the return shipping because I mailed it Standard. Coincidentally, before I had a chance to contact him, he sends a request today for a refund via PayPal. I send him a message via eBay saying no-can-do--I've already lost money on the deal due to return shipping charges (this wasn't a high margin transaction, but I had, at least, come out a couple bucks ahead). After I explain it to him, I notice a message he had sent after winning the auction that I had not previously read. In the message, he provides an apartment number that is not on his PayPal account. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but I hadn't noticed that message until just now, and I know better than to ship to any address that's not on the PP account. Had I noticed the message, I would have contacted him and told him to get the apartment number on his PP address and I would ship then, but too late now.

I'm guessing this guy, who is brand new to eBay, is gonna squawk--his messages have "that tone." Any guesses on how this will end?
post #3782 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

Just wondering how this might turn out:

Sold a baseball jersey to a guy in North Carolina a couple weeks ago. Sent to the confirmed address on his PayPal account. Jersey came back today from post office marked "Insufficient Address," and I had to pay the return shipping because I mailed it Standard. Coincidentally, before I had a chance to contact him, he sends a request today for a refund via PayPal. I send him a message via eBay saying no-can-do--I've already lost money on the deal due to return shipping charges (this wasn't a high margin transaction, but I had, at least, come out a couple bucks ahead). After I explain it to him, I notice a message he had sent after winning the auction that I had not previously read. In the message, he provides an apartment number that is not on his PayPal account. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but I hadn't noticed that message until just now, and I know better than to ship to any address that's not on the PP account. Had I noticed the message, I would have contacted him and told him to get the apartment number on his PP address and I would ship then, but too late now.

I'm guessing this guy, who is brand new to eBay, is gonna squawk--his messages have "that tone." Any guesses on how this will end?

You are gonna have to refund it. He will have to pay the return shipping....so that should be taken off the top. He has no ground to stand on if the address he provided to paypal/ebay was not correct, even if he did contact you. I hate those add a message to seller Bullshit messages. They don't show up anywhere except in your paypal/ebay transaction pages. Ebay really needs to push them through to the message inbox instead.

post #3783 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

You are gonna have to refund it. He will have to pay the return shipping....so that should be taken off the top. He has no ground to stand on if the address he provided to paypal/ebay was not correct, even if he did contact you. I hate those add a message to seller Bullshit messages. They don't show up anywhere except in your paypal/ebay transaction pages. Ebay really needs to push them through to the message inbox instead.

 

This.  I only see those after paid, packed & shipped.  I'm like - Crap - was it important?!  Thankfully, not yet, but may bite me one day.  

post #3784 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

You are gonna have to refund it. He will have to pay the return shipping....so that should be taken off the top. He has no ground to stand on if the address he provided to paypal/ebay was not correct, even if he did contact you. I hate those add a message to seller Bullshit messages. They don't show up anywhere except in your paypal/ebay transaction pages. Ebay really needs to push them through to the message inbox instead.

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear--the message was in my eBay Inbox. I just didn't spot it, for whatever reason. Thankfully, we're not talking a huge amount of money, but it still sucks. The shipping was, actually, more than the jersey itself, and I can already hear the whining about excessive shipping charges--I charged $7, the actual came to $5.95. In the future, I think I'll just factor shipping into the sales price and call it free. Doesn't seem to be much sense separating it out since eBay started collecting a percentage of the total (which I only recently discovered, being a true ham-and-egger). The important thing for me is to stave off negative feedback. That's happened exactly once in more than 200 transactions over eight years, and I still get pissed thinking about it.
post #3785 of 16824

I was smelling trouble in the future on a sale...  I don't ordinarily ship internationally, except to Canada.  Sold a suit for $25 to a guy in Canada where the shipping will be more than the suit, but he asked nicely and had about 100 feedback.  Upon closer look, he has purchased 1 thing in the 6 months, and the previous 6 items he bought were from the same person and is now unregistered.  Red flags are popping.. 

 

After not paying for a few days, he basically asks:

 

    Can you break up a suit from one of your other auctions (that has a bid on it for $65) and sell me the pants, and then break up a suit from another auction to sell me the coat, and then send them both to me for $40?

 

I can't fathom the logic there: Two different colors of blue on the suits.  Breaking up two different suits.  Offering below the minimum bid.. when one already has a bid..

 

This is going to end badly, huh?

post #3786 of 16824
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wman View Post

I was smelling trouble in the future on a sale...  I don't ordinarily ship internationally, except to Canada.  Sold a suit for $25 to a guy in Canada where the shipping will be more than the suit, but he asked nicely and had about 100 feedback.  Upon closer look, he has purchased 1 thing in the 6 months, and the previous 6 items he bought were from the same person and is now unregistered.  Red flags are popping.. 

After not paying for a few days, he basically asks:

    Can you break up a suit from one of your other auctions (that has a bid on it for $65) and sell me the pants, and then break up a suit from another auction to sell me the coat, and then send them both to me for $40?

I can't fathom the logic there: Two different colors of blue on the suits.  Breaking up two different suits.  Offering below the minimum bid.. when one already has a bid..

This is going to end badly, huh?

Yes, if you follow through with it. Obviously you aren't going to do it, but simply explain that you won't end auctions with bids and that once you start an auction, you don't end them early. If you're polite with it, maybe he'll just continue with the suit he bought. If he wants to back out of the sale now, let him. Get him to cancel the transaction, recoup your fees and re-list it. If things go sour, make sure you block him.
post #3787 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


Yes, if you follow through with it. Obviously you aren't going to do it, but simply explain that you won't end auctions with bids and that once you start an auction, you don't end them early. If you're polite with it, maybe he'll just continue with the suit he bought. If he wants to back out of the sale now, let him. Get him to cancel the transaction, recoup your fees and re-list it. If things go sour, make sure you block him.

 

Yes, I wasn't going to do that. I offered him a reduced shipping should be buy one of the suits as is. He just paid for the first one. Here goes the dice roll...
post #3788 of 16824
Seems as though eBay changed their "Order details" screen, where I always sent invoices from. On this screen, I was able to adjust shipping costs up or down from the invoice I sent the client, but now I cant. Can anyone figure out how to send a revised invoice to the client now?



The only options I see are to contact buyer or leave feedback.
post #3789 of 16824

Re: my listing that was ended by eBay due to trademark infringement, at the behest of Barbour - got this email back from Barbour today:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Thank you for your response.

After further review of the listing we’ve confirmed that the listing does not infringe on Barbour’s marks. We will contact eBay to resolve this issue immediately.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter

Regards,

J Barbour & Sons Ltd Brand Protection
brandprotection@mm-barbour.com

 

 

 

 

...and this message from eBay:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

MC999 eBay Notice - Listing Reinstatement
 
Hello dljpdx,
We have restored your listing(s). The list of the reinstated items can be viewed at the end of this message.
 
To see these items in My eBay, click the "Activity" tab, and then click the "Unsold" link under the "Sell" heading.
 
To relist an item, select “Relist” from the “More actions” drop-down menu to the right of the listing.
 
We have sent an email to any bidders for these items letting them know the listings were removed in error. We've also explained how they can find your item again if you relist it.
 
Here are the listings that we restored:
 
200936058429 - New in box Vans x Barbour classic CA slip-on, waxed, leather & nylon; size 10
 
We're sorry any inconvenience this has caused you.
 
 
Thanks,
 
eBay 
 
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

 

 

 

  

...would have been nice to actually have it reinstated as it had watchers when it was killed.  Oh well - can't complain too much - I've been vindicated!  

post #3790 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Re: my listing that was ended by eBay due to trademark infringement, at the behest of Barbour - got this email back from Barbour today:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Thank you for your response.

After further review of the listing we’ve confirmed that the listing does not infringe on Barbour’s marks. We will contact eBay to resolve this issue immediately.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter

Regards,

J Barbour & Sons Ltd Brand Protection
brandprotection@mm-barbour.com

 

 

 

 

...and this message from eBay:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

MC999 eBay Notice - Listing Reinstatement
 
Hello dljpdx,
We have restored your listing(s). The list of the reinstated items can be viewed at the end of this message.
 
To see these items in My eBay, click the "Activity" tab, and then click the "Unsold" link under the "Sell" heading.
 
To relist an item, select “Relist” from the “More actions” drop-down menu to the right of the listing.
 
We have sent an email to any bidders for these items letting them know the listings were removed in error. We've also explained how they can find your item again if you relist it.
 
Here are the listings that we restored:
 
200936058429 - New in box Vans x Barbour classic CA slip-on, waxed, leather & nylon; size 10
 
We're sorry any inconvenience this has caused you.
 
 
Thanks,
 
eBay 
 
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

 

 

 

  

...would have been nice to actually have it reinstated as it had watchers when it was killed.  Oh well - can't complain too much - I've been vindicated!  

Wow! I never would have thought I would ever read those words. That's truly amazing.

post #3791 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Seems as though eBay changed their "Order details" screen, where I always sent invoices from. On this screen, I was able to adjust shipping costs up or down from the invoice I sent the client, but now I cant. Can anyone figure out how to send a revised invoice to the client now?



The only options I see are to contact buyer or leave feedback.

I have never seen that page in my life. ???

 

Here is what mine looks like....The drop down has the send invoice option. However I don't use this page at all. I send mine from the "Awaiting Payment" page of the selling manager.

 

 

 

 


post #3792 of 16824
^ INORITE

I updated my MBP and thats how they started appearing - on my iMac, they look the same as yours. Very odd.
post #3793 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

^ INORITE

I updated my MBP and thats how they started appearing - on my iMac, they look the same as yours. Very odd.

Time to get a PC....lol8[1].gif

post #3794 of 16824
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Time to get a PC....lol8%5B1%5D.gif

post #3795 of 16824
Lol@spoo.

Mac4life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions