or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 222

post #3316 of 14074
If you want to be a serious seller you have to (99% of the time) accept returns for all reasons. There is no option. If you complain to the buyer you are only making more issues for yourself. If it really bothers you, charge an extra $.50 of shipping on every item to cover the lost shipping on the 1 out of 20 items that would be returned.

This way you still get good feedback in the end and will have repeat customers. I have done this and get the best, most personal feedback.

It's annoying dealing with dumb misinformed people who can't read but at least on ebay you don't have to physically talk to these idiots. Treat them nice in a message (while you "mother F-" them to yourself) and it will all work out.
post #3317 of 14074
I'm a pretty low volume seller (200 transactions or so in the past year) and I've only had one return in spite of accepting returns on most items, and it was a situation where I had only included a tagged size and not measurements so my bad.

In other news, I just had a successful transaction for the most expensive item I've ever sold - a high end guitar I just couldn't justify keeping around any longer as I rarely play and am not so great when I do. I breathed quite the sigh of relief on getting the positive feedback. Not everyone out there is a scumbag - most are just like us looking for a good deal on cool stuff.
post #3318 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

In other news, I just had a successful transaction for the most expensive item I've ever sold - a high end guitar I just couldn't justify keeping around any longer as I rarely play and am not so great when I do. I breathed quite the sigh of relief on getting the positive feedback. Not everyone out there is a scumbag - most are just like us looking for a good deal on cool stuff.

Looking to offload a few from my personal collection. How did you ship it?

post #3319 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Looking to offload a few from my personal collection. How did you ship it?

UPS ground. It ended up being very expensive - about $150, but I don't trust my local post office (or USPS in general when it comes to shipping), and I wanted to make sure I took every precaution 1.) for full replacement value ($4,000) and 2.) to demonstrate that I took every precaution possible in order to hopefully ensure positive feedback in the case of any issue.

They recommended sending it 2nd day air, but it would have doubled the cost and I couldn't afford it (and I had specified ground in the listing so the buyer should have been aware of that aspect of things).

I paid a UPS store locally here that I've had good experience with to pack it, as that would guarantee payout for the full replacement value in case of any damages vs. just a percentage of value if I had packed it - that service was about $35 I think, the rest was insurance and shipping. Again, expensive, but I built that into my shipping and asking price.

I would say though that if you can, avoid going through eBay and try to either find someone local or through guitar forums - the eBay/Paypal fees bite really adds up.

Overall I still came out with about a $200 profit on what I paid for the guitar three years ago, and I enjoyed playing it while I had it so it's definitely a win. Most of my stress came from the fact that I rarely sell anything for more than maybe $200 if I'm lucky, so sending something out the door for much more led to quite a nervewracking week!
post #3320 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

UPS ground. It ended up being very expensive - about $150, but I don't trust my local post office (or USPS in general when it comes to shipping), and I wanted to make sure I took every precaution 1.) for full replacement value ($4,000) and 2.) to demonstrate that I took every precaution possible in order to hopefully ensure positive feedback in the case of any issue.

They recommended sending it 2nd day air, but it would have doubled the cost and I couldn't afford it (and I had specified ground in the listing so the buyer should have been aware of that aspect of things).

I paid a UPS store locally here that I've had good experience with to pack it, as that would guarantee payout for the full replacement value in case of any damages vs. just a percentage of value if I had packed it - that service was about $35 I think, the rest was insurance and shipping. Again, expensive, but I built that into my shipping and asking price.

I would say though that if you can, avoid going through eBay and try to either find someone local or through guitar forums - the eBay/Paypal fees bite really adds up.

Overall I still came out with about a $200 profit on what I paid for the guitar three years ago, and I enjoyed playing it while I had it so it's definitely a win. Most of my stress came from the fact that I rarely sell anything for more than maybe $200 if I'm lucky, so sending something out the door for much more led to quite a nervewracking week!

 

Ok, thanks. I have thought about listing a few of them in the past, but was too worried about them getting damaged in shipping. An experienced guitar buyer should know to expect higher shipping costs, and in my book, should prefer them to ensure it arrives in one piece. I still don't know if I'm ready to let any of them go just yet, but the 18 of them don't exactly fit nicely in our home. Not to mention, I haven't really played in a few years. Ideally, I'd like to get the collection down to 2 or 3.

post #3321 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Looking to offload a few from my personal collection. How did you ship it?

UPS ground. It ended up being very expensive - about $150, but I don't trust my local post office (or USPS in general when it comes to shipping), and I wanted to make sure I took every precaution 1.) for full replacement value ($4,000) and 2.) to demonstrate that I took every precaution possible in order to hopefully ensure positive feedback in the case of any issue.

They recommended sending it 2nd day air, but it would have doubled the cost and I couldn't afford it (and I had specified ground in the listing so the buyer should have been aware of that aspect of things).

I paid a UPS store locally here that I've had good experience with to pack it, as that would guarantee payout for the full replacement value in case of any damages vs. just a percentage of value if I had packed it - that service was about $35 I think, the rest was insurance and shipping. Again, expensive, but I built that into my shipping and asking price.

I would say though that if you can, avoid going through eBay and try to either find someone local or through guitar forums - the eBay/Paypal fees bite really adds up.

Overall I still came out with about a $200 profit on what I paid for the guitar three years ago, and I enjoyed playing it while I had it so it's definitely a win. Most of my stress came from the fact that I rarely sell anything for more than maybe $200 if I'm lucky, so sending something out the door for much more led to quite a nervewracking week!

 

Have done the same thing myself. Having UPS handle the transaction start to finish really helps although it costs a bit more.

post #3322 of 14074
Thread Starter 
I had a guy open a case against me because the shoes didn't fit. They're UK sizing and I used an approximate EU size (required by ebay). The listing clearly indicated that they're UK sized, pictures were shown of the size and exact measurements of length/width of the insole were provided.

Anyway, he said they were not as described and wanted a refund. In the name of customer service, I said that's no problem, just ship them to me and I'll issue you a refund of the original cost (they had free shipping).

He just got back to me and said a few things...

1. That it was my fault that they were "not as described"
2. Since he was required to pay before they were shipped, he won't return them until he receives the money
3. I should be on the hook for return shipping

Well, clearly I disagree with everything he says. However, to simplify matters, I'm just going to go with it. I'll refund his money and pay for return shipping (from Germany, no less). The sticking point is that he is insistant that I return his money first even though I stated that it's ebay policy to return the shoes first. In all honesty, I trust that he'll send them, but I still want to follow protocol.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. If I insist that he send the shoes before a refund is issued, I have the strong feeling he'll leave negative feedback. I feel like I have a chance to save this thing if I go by his word.

Any advice?

I know I should insist that he ship the shoes, but I'm torn.
post #3323 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I had a guy open a case against me because the shoes didn't fit. They're UK sizing and I used an approximate EU size (required by ebay). The listing clearly indicated that they're UK sized, pictures were shown of the size and exact measurements of length/width of the insole were provided.

Anyway, he said they were not as described and wanted a refund. In the name of customer service, I said that's no problem, just ship them to me and I'll issue you a refund of the original cost (they had free shipping).

He just got back to me and said a few things...

1. That it was my fault that they were "not as described"
2. Since he was required to pay before they were shipped, he won't return them until he receives the money
3. I should be on the hook for return shipping

Well, clearly I disagree with everything he says. However, to simplify matters, I'm just going to go with it. I'll refund his money and pay for return shipping (from Germany, no less). The sticking point is that he is insistant that I return his money first even though I stated that it's ebay policy to return the shoes first. In all honesty, I trust that he'll send them, but I still want to follow protocol.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. If I insist that he send the shoes before a refund is issued, I have the strong feeling he'll leave negative feedback. I feel like I have a chance to save this thing if I go by his word.

Any advice?

I know I should insist that he ship the shoes, but I'm torn.

Is it possible to do two partial refunds? Refund him the shipping charge, or even half the total, before he ships, and the rest after you get them back.
post #3324 of 14074
Is a negative feedback worth more to you than the price of the shoes? When's the last time amazon or whatever other retailer refunded someone for a return before receiving the item?
post #3325 of 14074

Heck no! Item not returned yet = money not refunded yet...period!

post #3326 of 14074
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Is it possible to do two partial refunds? Refund him the shipping charge, or even half the total, before he ships, and the rest after you get them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Is a negative feedback worth more to you than the price of the shoes? When's the last time amazon or whatever other retailer refunded someone for a return before receiving the item?

Both great comments.

Orgetorix: I like that idea, maybe that would satisfy him that he's going to get his money?

VLSI: I kept repeating that to myself when I read his response that he was firm on not sending them back. I'm the seller ("retailer"), he's the buyer. That's how it works. I am fairly convinced he'll go through with sending them (simply based on his eloquence/job title), but I'm afraid something bizarre would happen. Something like they're lost in transit, then I'm reliant on him to claim the insurance and pay me.

Negative feedback shouldn't be this big of a concern, in my opinion. However, I don't have a large number of feedbacks (in ebay terms) and a negative would hurt. I got my first from someone a few months ago that simply wrote "never delivered the item." When in fact I had tracking that showed otherwise and they never responded to follow-up messages.

It's just a pain in the ass...thank you for your comments/suggestions!

EDIT: Thanks Wes! Missed your comment while I was typing!
post #3327 of 14074
Thread Starter 
Quick update...

I called ebay and they said that we're right and he's wrong. The woman said that it's fairly clear that he didn't read the description and that I should not, under any circumstances, return his money without receiving the shoes. She told me to write that I spoke with customer service and that they said he must return the shoes before any money can/will be returned and that if he needed clarification he can call customer service himself.

I'm writing that I'm offering original purchase price + return shipping under the condition that he return the shoes first.

I assume he won't like that, so we'll see what he has to say.
post #3328 of 14074
It's interesting that his argument is based on the assumption that you should trust that he'll follow through on his promise to ship but he doesn't extend the same courtesy to you about refunding him the money.

FAIL!
post #3329 of 14074
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Quick update...

I called ebay and they said that we're right and he's wrong. The woman said that it's fairly clear that he didn't read the description and that I should not, under any circumstances, return his money without receiving the shoes. She told me to write that I spoke with customer service and that they said he must return the shoes before any money can/will be returned and that if he needed clarification he can call customer service himself.

I'm writing that I'm offering original purchase price + return shipping under the condition that he return the shoes first.

I assume he won't like that, so we'll see what he has to say.

If it wasnt your fault (really) then you shoudnt even offer return shipping IMO, you should actually be charging them a restocking fee.

post #3330 of 14074

How long after I open a case to cancel a transaction do I have to wait before I can cancel the transaction without the "buyer" approving it? It's been a week since I requested an international buyer on a US-Only sale cancel the transaction. He has neither canceled it nor contacted me at all. I really want to relist the item, as it's a relatively hot item and will sell.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions