or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 23

post #331 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post

Do you find that there are general expectation as far as dry-cleaning goes before shipping? When I buy, anything that comes into the house will get cleaned/washed by myself before I wear it rather than trusting/expecting the seller to do it. Some of my items have the mothball smell from the thrift store, so I was wondering what you have found general buyer expectations to be. Adding a dry-cleaning bill to every item will really cut into some of the low-margin items.

According to the ebay guidelines used clothing should be cleaned prior to selling, but I'm sure most people (myself included) do not have items drycleaned. I specifically mention if there are any spots which need attention, or do the spot cleaning myself before listing. I would imagine most people are going to have the items dry cleaned anyway.

post #332 of 16138
I spot treat my items with a wet paper towel. They're clean, I promise peepwall[1].gif
post #333 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

I specifically mention if there are any spots which need attention, or do the spot cleaning myself before listing. I would imagine most people are going to have the items dry cleaned anyway.
Thanks guys. That's what makes sense to me: any spots, stains, etc., get treated by a reasonable attempt, and if they remain, they get disclosed; washable items get washed.
post #334 of 16138

Buying tip: keep a search going for auctions of women's handkerchiefs. Many people are idiots and will list Gentlemen's Pocket Squares there.

post #335 of 16138

Is there a "technical term" for the extra material tucked inside a sport coat / blazer sleeve, for purposes of potential lengthening?  I have always called it the "leave" because I thought I read that somewhere but it's probably incorrect.

 

Tip: if a sport coat / blazer outer pocket is still sewn shut, it's called "basted" shut...I've seen eBay listings for handmade jackets that say "pockets still factory sewn shut", and that certainly can't help gain interest.

post #336 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Is there a "technical term" for the extra material tucked inside a sport coat / blazer sleeve, for purposes of potential lengthening?  I have always called it the "leave" because I thought I read that somewhere but it's probably incorrect.
I've seen the term "let-out", which is what I've started using. It's descriptive, at least.
post #337 of 16138

A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

 

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

 

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

 

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

 

Thank-you!

post #338 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox C View Post


I've seen the term "let-out", which is what I've started using. It's descriptive, at least.

 

Thank you - that does sound more descriptive...and probably more correct than "leave".

post #339 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

 

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

 

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

 

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

 

Thank-you!

Good to know, while we do not see much duty on foreign shipments in the US, it is amazing on how much duty can be in some countries. FYI  if you ship USPS via eBay the description on the customs form automatically populates with the exact working in the title description. So the great adjectives like gorgeous, amazing, almost new, perfect, etc. all go into the customs description. I try to edit the customs description to the bare minimum; Used shoes, used shirt. . . 

post #340 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

Thank-you!


Good to know, especially the "used" part.

here's one for buyers: Don't ask me to dramatically falsify the customs information then leave negative feedback about it when I don't.
post #341 of 16138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt73106 View Post

Good to know, while we do not see much duty on foreign shipments in the US, it is amazing on how much duty can be in some countries. FYI  if you ship USPS via eBay the description on the customs form automatically populates with the exact working in the title description. So the great adjectives like gorgeous, amazing, almost new, perfect, etc. all go into the customs description. I try to edit the customs description to the bare minimum; Used shoes, used shirt. . . 

We have a 20% VAT on incoming things. However, things things that have been sent via USPS to me have never gotten flagged. I don't know if it's Austria or my luck, but I even sent a new Kitchen-Aid here that weighed 35kg and didn't have to pay. ANYTHING sent via UPS, FedEx or DHL from outside the EU always incurs costs. They collect VAT on everything (listed price + shipping) and turn it in to the Austrian government.

I ordered 3 t-shirts from the US with a total cost of about $30 from a company. They charged about $35 to ship them, not a huge deal. However, they first went to AUSTRALIA and then to Austria over the course of about 6 weeks. When they arrived to my door, I had to pay around €20 cash to the guy to get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post

Good to know, especially the "used" part.
here's one for buyers: Don't ask me to dramatically falsify the customs information then leave negative feedback about it when I don't.

I don't know why a seller would agree to that. I wouldn't deviate from any policies that I have for myself. I receive questions every time from Germans that complain about shipping prices from Austria. Yesterday, I received 2 questions about items that Germans won and asked if I'd send them uninsured, presumably to save the money. I always point out that I make nothing from shipping and send insured via Austrian Post. I give them the exact weight and the link to the calculator. I also let them know that insurance is about 50 cents and that I won't ship without it. What they usually don't know is that if they outright refuse to pay the insurance, I'll pay it myself.

I lost one package (possibly mis-delivered, it was never returned) on a great looking Brioni shirt that was just a bit too big for me. I sent it within Austria and the guy claimed it never arrived. I didn't argue, just apologized and refunded his money. I also learned that everything needs to be insured.

Does anyone allow/offer free pick up? I had one guy in my city ask if he could meet me to pick up a shirt. It wasn't terribly inconvenient for me, so I agreed and it was actually pretty simple. He met me at the right place and time and by the time I walked home (10 minutes) he had already left positive feedback. Curious if anyone else is willing to do that?
post #342 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

A note to sellers: if you are going to ship internationally (and I wish more did) - can you please describe the item accurately on the shipping label?

 

1. If you are shipping used items, please write 'Used / Second-hand X' not just 'X', because customs officers are much less likely to slap large amounts of tax on used items.

 

2. Please specify the value of the item as the actual purchase price not what you think it is worth. If I have bought an item for $100, I don't expect to have to pay import duties for $500 worth of goods just because that is what they originally retailed for. The value for customs purposes is the price the buyer paid for the item(s).

 

I have had both these problems recently and while it is possible to successfully dispute the amounts of tax placed on items by customs in Canada, it is a real hassle to have to do this.

 

Thank-you!

Thanks for the tip! I hate that my buyers have to pay so much just to receive the item after they have already paid for it. I wouldn't want to unknowingly add to that cost by using a poor description.

post #343 of 16138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post
Does anyone allow/offer free pick up? I had one guy in my city ask if he could meet me to pick up a shirt. It wasn't terribly inconvenient for me, so I agreed and it was actually pretty simple. He met me at the right place and time and by the time I walked home (10 minutes) he had already left positive feedback. Curious if anyone else is willing to do that?

I have done free pick up on several occasions. Actually, through ebay, I found a SF lurker in my town and have dealt with him 3 or 4 times now. Otherwise, I have sold several large items with free local pickup or a cost per mile for me to deliver it within a XX mile radius. Sold a dirt bike, wood stove and a lawn mower this way.

post #344 of 16138
I thought I would share a (thus far) successful story of diffusing an upset client post sale :

Item - $575+ handbag.

HER:
Quote:
I received the purse today. THis is NOT the SIZE bag of the TOTE that was described. It is much smaller then the descriptions. I understand it is preowned, and that is not the issue. It is the size. I do not want this bag. I thought I was purchasing the larger TOTE bag. I own 2 of those and they are much bigger.
Not as described in the description.
How do you want to handle my returning this item.

ME:
Quote:
Hi XXX -

Glad the bag got there safe, but sorry you feel the measurements are off - what measurements are you coming up with? The bag was measured flat on a table, unstuffed, of course. Below, copied again from the auction are my measurements. Let me know and thanks again :

(measurements)

HER:
Quote:
The measurements are close. I thought it was more a tote. It is too small for me. I am understanding that you said No Returns. I do not like or want the bag. That size bag was ever $4000.00. I believe it was misrepresented. It is your choice whether to allow me to return and give me a refund or not. I will then check what EBay Buyers Protection provides to unhappy buyers.

ME:
Quote:
Hi XXX -

Thanks again for writing. The bags measurements and description were accurately represented - as you can see by measuring the bag yourself. There are no refunds based on this, as they were clearly included in the auction. I am sorry that you don't like the bag, but I do suggest that you check the measurements before bidding, thats why they are posted.

I can offer you to use my photos from the auction should you want to re-sell the bag online. Ordinarily thats not something I do, but if it helps you, I would be more than happy to allow permission.

Please let me know if I can assist with anything else and thank you once more.


HER:
Quote:
I have never sold anything on Ebay. So I will attempt to do it. I would greatly appreciate your pictures. Can you send them to me? I don't know what 'format' you can send them in via Ebay. And I am not tech saavy. So if it's not easy via Ebay, you can send them to my personal email:
XXX@XXX.com.
Thank You. I will obviously never buy anything again with NO RETURNS:)

I sent her a very long and detailed email on the best way to maximize her listing - so, lets see, but I thought the exchange was worth a share here.
post #345 of 16138

Heads up - added two new deadbeats to the blacklist.  23 days since the auctions closed, 2 invoices sent to each, 1 unpaid case opened on both with no response at all.  Closed the cases and got my fees back - you might wanna check the blacklist and update your own - they are both still active users on eBay...now with 1 unpaid strike each (but i can't leave negative feedback for them since they never paid to begin with).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions