I responded as she claimed damage, and asked for pictures of the damage, as I didn't know what she was talking about. (Honestly, how do I know she didn't damage it, then take pictures after?).
Then being presetned with pictures of damage, I told her to return or I could knock off X dollars, to allow her to repair it, if she was interested in keeping item. Otherwise, just ship it back.
Anyway, to date, no news or movement on the return. I accepted the return, but there has been no response from her, since she opened the return NAD, saying I would not accept return, and she expects me to forward her shipping funds prior to returning item.
How long do I have to wait (if she doesn't return item), before I can ask Ebay to close this out? To cover myself, I've made sure to ask her again, to let me know when she is shipping this back with tracking (again, to show I'm waiting for approved return).
Yeah, assuming your communication didn't change the norm, it's 5 biz days. Call up and close that out.