or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 1804

post #27046 of 30466

I bought 4 isaia shirts this week.  This one was supposed to be NWT, no tags, but feels new.  I'm concerned about the details.  Most importantly, plastic buttons, held on without crows foot stitching, button holes are nice, overall construction is nice, has content tag that others don't, doesn't have the coral logo on the sides, just this logo that looks like a "C".  Here's the listing.

My pics (taken under 2 different lighting conditions).  Your opinions?

 

This tag is not on any other of my isaia shirts, but is common on italian shirts, on the front back of the button placket.

Nice buttonholes

Should be the the Isaia coral logo

pearlescent plastic, mediocre stitching attaching the buttons

looks normal here.

post #27047 of 30466

My first thought was that tailoring a legit shirt could explain the odd mix of quality vs. non-quality you're seeing:

 

- Buttons replaced due to loss or cracking

- Side gussets being incorrect for Isaia - they also don't appear to be hand sewn on

- Wrong tag on hem

 

Pure speculation though.  I'd say legit Isaia but I'm not buying the "NWT" thing.

post #27048 of 30466
Hi all,

I'm sure some of you, in searching for shoes on EBay, have come across the different sellers offering "handmade" custom welted shoes (for example, thishttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111912885622&alt=web or thishttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221919307018&alt=web. Obviously these don't seem all that encouraging (they ship from Pakistan, don't have any pictures besides stock photos) but the sellers have good feedback.

Am I being supremely, sublimely stupid for even looking at these? Do y'all have any experience/thoughts on the legitimacy/quality of these sellers/boots? I have no problem with waiting a bit on MTM handwelted boots from Pakistan at this price, but I want to make sure I'm not about to get a piece of junk.

Thanks!
post #27049 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeforbespoke View Post

Hi all,

I'm sure some of you, in searching for shoes on EBay, have come across the different sellers offering "handmade" custom welted shoes (for example, thishttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111912885622&alt=web or thishttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221919307018&alt=web. Obviously these don't seem all that encouraging (they ship from Pakistan, don't have any pictures besides stock photos) but the sellers have good feedback.

Am I being supremely, sublimely stupid for even looking at these? Do y'all have any experience/thoughts on the legitimacy/quality of these sellers/boots? I have no problem with waiting a bit on MTM handwelted boots from Pakistan at this price, but I want to make sure I'm not about to get a piece of junk.

Thanks!
My answer would be "Kind of... possibly yes."

I don't doubt that you will end up with a pair of boots in the proper size and color (eBay seller protection has you covered there). I DO doubt that they will be handwelted or of any better quality than you would find in, say, Aldo at the mall.

I'm willing to guess that 99% of those feedback leavers wouldn't know any kind of welting if it bit them on the ass. The seller is keyword fishing on that one.

I would also be highly dubious of leather quality. $150 doesn't buy you a hell of alot when it comes to raw materials, unless this guy has razor-thin margins.

In short, I'd buy only if the money is truly disposable and if you are ready to receive a semi-decent knockabout boot (at best) in return. Personally, I would look elsewhere
post #27050 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post
 

 

I would list those for $100 OBO and expect to sell them within a few months

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylexchangemtl View Post
 


I even think this could be a starting price, seems even too cheap BIN price for me.

 

Thanks for the feedback.  I ended up relisting them and sold them BIN.  

post #27051 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post

I bought 4 isaia shirts this week.  This one was supposed to be NWT, no tags, but feels new.  I'm concerned about the details.  Most importantly, plastic buttons, held on without crows foot stitching, button holes are nice, overall construction is nice, has content tag that others don't, doesn't have the coral logo on the sides, just this logo that looks like a "C".  Here's the listing.
My pics (taken under 2 different lighting conditions).  Your opinions?

This tag is not on any other of my isaia shirts, but is common on italian shirts, on the front back of the button placket.


Nice buttonholes


Should be the the Isaia coral logo


pearlescent plastic, mediocre stitching attaching the buttons


looks normal here.

Looks like a Ralph Lauren size tag
post #27052 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierson v Post View Post
Subnav  

You sure charge a lot for shipping. If you can send it cheaper, please do.

 

After winning an Italian 100% lambswool sweater for $0.99, with $6.50 shipping.   


Make him an offer for 10$ and free shipping 

post #27053 of 30466

Another milestone surpassed...

 

post #27054 of 30466

+1 for paypal. Lost a chargeback for $145 (after 3 months of review and winning both the ebay and paypal disputes 1st) but a quick call and paypal rep offered to cover it out of their pocket 100% :slayer: 

post #27055 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post

I bought 4 isaia shirts this week.  This one was supposed to be NWT, no tags, but feels new.  I'm concerned about the details.  Most importantly, plastic buttons, held on without crows foot stitching, button holes are nice, overall construction is nice, has content tag that others don't, doesn't have the coral logo on the sides, just this logo that looks like a "C".  Here's the listing.
My pics (taken under 2 different lighting conditions).  Your opinions?

This tag is not on any other of my isaia shirts, but is common on italian shirts, on the front back of the button placket.


Nice buttonholes


Should be the the Isaia coral logo


pearlescent plastic, mediocre stitching attaching the buttons


looks normal here.

There are so many things wrong with it that I see.

1.The last button should have red thread.

2.Crow stitching on every button except if it has a pocket.

3. The size tag will be composed of white and red thread only.

4. The sides are always done by hand and line up perfectly and there square on the back fold.

5.It should have coral collar stays.

6.The cuff should be a perfect curve cut.

7.The buttons will say isaia on the side and always be thick mother.

8. The bottom of the placket will have perfect 45 degree folds.
post #27056 of 30466

Thanks.

#5, I have another isaia sport shirt that doesn't have collar stays

#6 Identical

#7 mostly yes, I have one that has smoky MOPS but no embossing

#8 yep

Has no hand stitching whatsoever, even my sport shirt has hand stitching all over it.

 

Everything else I agree on, was there ever a diffusion line?  I thought maybe Corallorosso with the "C" on the side gussetts, but the tag wouldn't say Isaia.

 

Nice shirt, if it was other details that were off I would live with it, but the buttons and button stitching are signature details.  If for no other reason, I will return it because NWT actually has to have tags.

Add:

So, I initiated a return, we will see how it goes.  There is a ton of high end stuff for sale by this person, can anyone else here who is more familiar with women's wear spot any more fakes? seller: marblecloset


Edited by txwoodworker - 3/18/16 at 5:31pm
post #27057 of 30466
#7 mostly yes, I have one that has smoky MOPS but no embossing.

You gotta look really close it's very faint.
post #27058 of 30466

Idk, from what I've seen Isaia really changes their manufacturing a lot. I've seen shirts with amazing hand sewn buttonholes and others with crappy looking machine done ones, with the same label on them. Idk about plastic buttons, but i wouldn't really be surprised if they used them on their "sport" shirts. 

post #27059 of 30466

hmmm 100% LANA WS.... seems kinda odd. Thoughts?

 

Lana = Wool

WS = Cashmere

 

I guess there is such a think as "cashmere wool" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashmere_wool :puzzled:

 

 

post #27060 of 30466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

hmmm 100% LANA WS.... seems kinda odd. Thoughts?

Lana = Wool
WS = Cashmere

I guess there is such a think as "cashmere wool" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashmere_wool puzzled.gif



Maybe IWS is different than just WS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions