or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 180

post #2686 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

4 pound limit, also size limit

Thanks, man.
post #2687 of 18244

How would you handle this?

I bought a runner rug on eBay, advertised as being 2' 10" x 20'.  When I received it, it was in fact 18' long.  I needed a 20' rug to fit my hallway, not 18' (I know, 2' doesn't seem like much, but it makes a difference...plus it's not as described).  I emailed the seller - they said "Sorry about that!", and nothing else.  They are a new seller - 2 feedbacks, both positive.  I griped some more and they said "So send it back?", then sent me another message saying to send it back and I would get my money back in so many words.  They had previously told me they are moving cross-country and I am leery of sending it back without them first refunding my original purchase price ($425.00), shipping ($39.00) and whatever the return shipping will be via UPS (which they have agreed to pay).

As a seller, I have had returns and have told people they will get a full refund once I get the item back...but I also say that I have been on eBay over 11 years with almost 1000 positive feedbacks and I am not about to start ripping people off now, whereas this is a new seller who is in process of moving cross-country and will probably be changing their banks etc and I'm not confident I will actually get a refund.

Does eBay/PayPal have something in place where, if I initiate a return & refund thru eBay, and send it back on good faith, and never get my refund from the seller, that eBay or PayPal will cover it?  There's buyer's protection but I've never used it...and not sure how it actually works - if they go after the seller's bank / credit card accounts or what (and if so, how that might play out if the person is relocating and possibly changing banks etc).

 

Any advice appreciated.  Grazie. 

 

Side note: this is the 5th item I have bought on eBay in the last year, and the 4th I have had to return due to some sort of issue.  WTF is it with sellers today?  I take great pains to be as accurate as possible, but when I buy stuff it's been wrong 80% of the time.

post #2688 of 18244
As long as you are within the 45 day window, you're fine.

As a seller there is no way I would ever refund your money without first receiving the returned product.
post #2689 of 18244

Quick Question

 

Have a shirt listed auction style, has bids, guy messages me and offers $125 right now...IF I decided i wanted to take that, can I somehow?

post #2690 of 18244
You add a BIN price to auction, assuming bid is under 62.50. Or you could make it higher then invoice him for the 125 I believe.
post #2691 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweets View Post

Quick Question

 

Have a shirt listed auction style, has bids, guy messages me and offers $125 right now...IF I decided i wanted to take that, can I somehow?

Nope - you can't edit and add a buy-it-now since it already has bids.  You can only end the auction early (and cancel all bids, and also piss off your bidders), assuming you can convince him to pay you first thru PayPal as "money owed" or some personal payment.  Not sure if the new eBay seller rule has gone into effect yet, where they still charge final value fees if you end an auction early that has bids - so you might still have to pay eBay fees.

If it were me, I'd let the auction run it's course, and tell the guy to bid his offer.  I always reply that I cannot end an auction early if it has bids, and let the person know they may well get it for less if they bid.

post #2692 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurnOut View Post

As long as you are within the 45 day window, you're fine.

As a seller there is no way I would ever refund your money without first receiving the returned product.

 

OK thanks - the seller has since sent a flurry of messages about refunding / returning etc, so we'll see how it pans out.

Ditto - as a seller I don't refund without getting the item back first (but I have sent $ only to cover return postage in the few cases where I made a mistake; remainder refunded on receipt). 

post #2693 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweets View Post

Quick Question

 

Have a shirt listed auction style, has bids, guy messages me and offers $125 right now...IF I decided i wanted to take that, can I somehow?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnoob View Post

Nope - you can't edit and add a buy-it-now since it already has bids.  You can only end the auction early (and cancel all bids, and also piss off your bidders), assuming you can convince him to pay you first thru PayPal as "money owed" or some personal payment.  Not sure if the new eBay seller rule has gone into effect yet, where they still charge final value fees if you end an auction early that has bids - so you might still have to pay eBay fees.

If it were me, I'd let the auction run it's course, and tell the guy to bid his offer.  I always reply that I cannot end an auction early if it has bids, and let the person know they may well get it for less if they bid.

Actually, there is one other option. If he outbids the others, you can end the auction using the "sell item to highest bidder" option. Then adjust the invoice to meet the agreed amount.

post #2694 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

 

Actually, there is one other option. If he outbids the others, you can end the auction using the "sell item to highest bidder" option. Then adjust the invoice to meet the agreed amount.

Ah yes - still irks the other bidders but you get your agreed on price thru eBay.  Personally never used this, forgot it was an option.

post #2695 of 18244

I think I'll let it run the course...he's the high bidder at $41 with 4 days left, i guess my feeling is that if he's willing to offer $125 to end it, he must think its going to go higher.  Didn't know 3XL skeet blankets were in such high demand.

post #2696 of 18244
If used, I'd let it go for 125. If new, could go either way, but probably better to let it play out.
post #2697 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweets View Post

I think I'll let it run the course...he's the high bidder at $41 with 4 days left, i guess my feeling is that if he's willing to offer $125 to end it, he must think its going to go higher.  Didn't know 3XL skeet blankets were in such high demand.

I'd take the $125 and tell him you will send him a paypal invoice for it right now (pay the 3% paypal fee and take the cash). If he wants it, he will pay the invoice, if not, no biggie. You pick up 10% savings if he pays the invoice off ebay which is a help, so thats like it selling on ebay for $137 approx PLUS $125 for a RG is pretty good money either way! Most of them I have sold in the $60-100 range.

post #2698 of 18244

I'm having an issue with an ebay purchase. I bought a jacket listed with free shipping. It was held at my post office because of insufficient postage and when I picked it up the seller had tried to use media mail, and only 1lb in weight no less. I had to pay the remainder to get the package.

So I messaged the seller and explained and he agreed to repay me immediately. A few days later and I've received no refund. I message him again and hear nothing.

I left it a couple of days again and then opened a case in eBay. A couple of hours later seller writes saying that he initiated a refund from the payment I made to him, but that that payment is being held for 30 days so it cant be made yet and asks that I accept this and close the case.

BUT, this doesnt sound legit to me. I thought the purpose of eBay witholding payment was in case there was a problem, so why wouldnt he be able to refund me.

Furthermore, all my reading about held payments suggests it's at most 21 days. So I'm wondering if he is hoping that he can stretch this out beyond the 45 days I have to leave negative feedback. Seems ridiculous given the sum we're talking about, but I'm guessing he didnt expect the jacket to go for the minimum bid.

 

TL:DR - cant a seller refund from payments being held by eBay?

post #2699 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Ref. the tags, yes I would be annoyed if I got an item with marked tags and it was not disclosed in the listing. USUALLY, marked tags are there for a reason from BB itself so the item can not be returned. Irregular, defect, sample, display item, etc. which are sold at a discount with a no return policy. If he wants to be upfront and say the tags are marked in the listing and take a picture of it, then fine. I know what I'm bidding on then, but dont send me a NWT item and then have me find out that the tags are marked when I get it. No bueno.

Also I dont think a lot of people buy NWT stuff just to go return, but if they do, thats on them. Not sure why you are trying to do Brooks Brothers job for them.

In regards to the 1099 question. I got one last year, and this year from PAYPAL. Never got one or heard/read about ebay sending them out. Ebay facilitates transactions so I dont see why they would send you a 1099. Paypal is a 3rd party payment processing company which under new laws is required to send a 1099 for people who receive over $20,000 AND 200 sales. If you log into paypal, go to history and then taxes and you will see if you have a 1099, but if you sold less then $20K and 200 items you wont get one, that dosnt mean you shouldnt report your profit or you may even be able to report a loss and save on taxes if you sold personal items at a lower value then you paid for them!

Thanks for the info, doesn't seem like I have one, don't think I hit 20k and my excel file says I'm about even on sales but gonna check as I was able to deduct a little on tax last year and tax season is coming soon
post #2700 of 18244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post

TL:DR - cant a seller refund from payments being held by eBay?

Sounds like BS on his end. I definitely would not close the case if I were you. Call ebay if you're unsure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions