or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 177

post #2641 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

IMO, a key rule... never bid against yourself. It wont get you very far in business. Hence, if you have a listed price, don't say another price, let the other person make a bid. Even if very very low you will gain information from them making an offer and sometimes it will be higher then you expect. Maybe even higher then you would have asked. Second key rule, in general (might be slightly different with cheap ass bottom feeding ebay buyers).... most people undervalue what they have and overvalue what they want.

This is generally true. Think about real estate transactions. Each side feels like the other is in the power position. Those selling their house think that the first person making an offer is the only person who will be interested in their house, so feel compelled to accept the offer lest they not receive another, whereas buyers who like a house will think every other buyer will love the same house so feel compelled to move quickly and with strong offers.
Clearly as a generality it does not always hold in specific cases, but is well worth remembering during the process.
post #2642 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


One thing I have learned is to let them name the number if they want to negotiate. Then I either accept it or reject it. I will not "give them my best price" because that usually leads to the prospective buyer giving a lower counteroffer. I don't have the time or patience to enter into long negotiations with cheapskates.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

 

IMO, a key rule... never bid against yourself. It wont get you very far in business. Hence, if you have a listed price, don't say another price, let the other person make a bid. Even if very very low you will gain information from them making an offer and sometimes it will be higher then you expect. Maybe even higher then you would have asked. Second key rule, in general (might be slightly different with cheap ass bottom feeding ebay buyers).... most people undervalue what they have and overvalue what they want.


Excellent advice. Once I learned to let the buyer name his price, I was surprised how often I'd get an offer that was closer to my listed price than I'd expected.

post #2643 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

how did you respond?

"Seriously? It's .25 inches wider."
post #2644 of 15737
^ Perhaps I'm giving the questioner to much credit, but he may have been asking about the length. Could be that he assumed the tie length would grow in proportion with the width.
post #2645 of 15737
What are you guys doing about Easter Sunday?
post #2646 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

I have to depart from you, Brother Pore.

Seller got every penny of what he would have expected on Ebay, plus some. Why is it unreasonable, from a strict fairness perspective, to expect him to honor the same warranty, especially among a community like this? VLSI's return offer was so fair, that the seller would have been strongly protected (though, dude, if you did the math, I suspect you're going to do better NOW by selling on Ebay than via the return). If I were all lawyering it up from a negotiation perspective I would say he created a course of dealing by offering those terms on Ebay, and then by receiving essentially the same price here, he created the expectancy that the same terms applied via the course of dealing. If I were litigating it, I might not like my chances, but at least from a negotiation/contract formation standpoint, it seems like bad faith.

Just MHO.

x2

But then again, I come here for the community, rather than a business type of thing.

I'm not saying the seller had to accept the item back, but I would have in his position. I would definitely never buy from him again, and if I was asked I would advise others of what happened to me and let them decide on whether it's worth taking a chance on this guy smile.gif
post #2647 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

This is how I feel frown.gif Part of my purchase decision was based on the safety net of a return policy -- I'd of course never buy something with intent to return, but it helps ease your mind when buying clothes via the internet. When I realized he was an SF member, I figured dealing outside ebay would be mutually beneficial, though decidedly in his favor which I didn't mind because I thought the price was fair -- and why I didn't request any tangible discount on his end. Having already made the purchase decision, I totally dissociated the fact that the return policy would no longer apply. So yes, I'm the fool and lesson learned. In the future, I will either buy through ebay or negotiate a price that properly accounts for the increased risk I incur as a buyer dealing outside of ebay.


This kind of bums me out. I have had nothing but good experiences here on style forum, both buying and selling. I have returned two items when they arrived with damage not mentioned in the original thread, and the seller was extremely apologetic and helpful with the return. While I understand having a "no returns" policy, the seller in question has a policy for random strangers on ebay, but doesn't honor it for someone who has the same interests as himself and is part of the SF community? Maybe I'm too sentimental, but I think better of SF members usually...
post #2648 of 15737
China is a no for shipping new Alden's to right? Just listed and get a bunch of messages from chinese buyers
post #2649 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexconstruct View Post

What are you guys doing about Easter Sunday?

Taking my daughter on an egg hunt, then enjoying a giant fucking ham. How bout you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

China is a no for shipping new Alden's to right? Just listed and get a bunch of messages from chinese buyers

If you dont ship Aldens to Asia, you are losing out on hundreds of bucks in bids.
post #2650 of 15737

An Ebay buyer bought a shirt by "Vince" from me back in January and contacted me today (50 days later) to tell me that it is counterfeit because the material is "paper-thin".  I highly doubt anyone takes the time to counterfeit Vince shirts and the shirt had MOP buttons, which seems like an odd expenditure for a counterfeiter.

 

This is all over a $15 shirt - is it even worth trying to argue about this with him? Or do I just suck it up and give him his money back? Thoughts?

post #2651 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Taking my daughter on an egg hunt, then enjoying a giant fucking ham. How bout you

Giant fucking hams will be involved. Probably madras shirts and shorts too (it's like 100 degrees here in Phoenix.). I am guessing most people will be doing the same. You still gonna end your auctions on Sunday?
post #2652 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Dockers View Post

An Ebay buyer bought a shirt by "Vince" from me back in January and contacted me today (50 days later) to tell me that it is counterfeit because the material is "paper-thin".  I highly doubt anyone takes the time to counterfeit Vince shirts and the shirt had MOP buttons, which seems like an odd expenditure for a counterfeiter.

This is all over a $15 shirt - is it even worth trying to argue about this with him? Or do I just suck it up and give him his money back? Thoughts?

I thought buyers had 45 days to complain?
post #2653 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyfud View Post


I thought buyers had 45 days to complain?

 

According to the customer service rep I spoke with they have 45 days to file a claim, but 60 days to leave negative feedback. The rep essentially said I should try to stall him for 10 days.

post #2654 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexconstruct View Post

Giant fucking hams will be involved. Probably madras shirts and shorts too (it's like 100 degrees here in Phoenix.). I am guessing most people will be doing the same. You still gonna end your auctions on Sunday?

It just snowed 4" in 2 hours here. No madras for me.

Auctions end Sunday as scheduled yes. A brief, remote island shitty wifi snafu delayed the auctions that end on Easter until about 9:30pm, but still ending as always. Ended on Sundays when they fell on 12/25, 1/1, etc. No matter to me - YMMV, from me, people expect consistency.
post #2655 of 15737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post


This is generally true. Think about real estate transactions. Each side feels like the other is in the power position. Those selling their house think that the first person making an offer is the only person who will be interested in their house, so feel compelled to accept the offer lest they not receive another, whereas buyers who like a house will think every other buyer will love the same house so feel compelled to move quickly and with strong offers.
Clearly as a generality it does not always hold in specific cases, but is well worth remembering during the process.

 

you have a shitty realtor

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions