or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 1743

post #26131 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post
 


Are you going to bring everything you have listed as well? This seems odd, I have done it once or twice when I did auctions. For instance something ended on Sunday and I traveled to SF on Monday and they hadn't paid, what I did was pack it up and weigh it if necessary, then bring the box and wait for them to pay. Once they pay I buy the postage, create the label as PDF and print it in the hotel business center, then tape it on the package and have the hotel mail it. Carrying packing supplies and a printer is a little cray cray yo, unless of course all of your traveling is by personal automobile then... Nope still wouldn't do it.

 

Marginally related: when I traveled for work it was a 13-state area around the midwest and most of the time I drove - company car (van, actually).  The job was mostly driving - like - drive 3 hours, get to the town, check into hotel, then work for like 30 minutes, maybe an hour.  The rest of the time I hit thrifts, resale shops and auctions (before I knew about clothing), and record shops.  This was in the 90's, when you could still find tonnage of MCM in the thrifts and collectible vinyl for cheap.  More times than I can count, I completely filled the van full of furniture and whatnots, and if I needed room I'd stop by antique shops and sell stuff along the way but keep any really nice stuff for when I got back to Chicago and could get top dollar.  So anyway - yeah - selling as you go can be done though back then I only did it in person, not thru the mail.

post #26132 of 30454
Basically the deal is, on most weeks that I travel, I leave on Tuesday or Wednesday. So that means I can ship Sunday auctions on Monday or Tuesday, leaving only stragglers to deal with. Some weeks I do leave on Monday, but that's usually by car.

The printer is actually a more general question because I don't want to eat through inkjet cartridges printing labels. I'd prefer to get either a laser or thermal printer.
post #26133 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Basically the deal is, on most weeks that I travel, I leave on Tuesday or Wednesday. So that means I can ship Sunday auctions on Monday or Tuesday, leaving only stragglers to deal with. Some weeks I do leave on Monday, but that's usually by car.

The printer is actually a more general question because I don't want to eat through inkjet cartridges printing labels. I'd prefer to get either a laser or thermal printer.

 

In that case, if it's not a lot of stuff, and you have to go to the post office anyway if someone pays when you're on the road...I can see packing it all before you leave and slapping a plain address label on it and bring it with.  Anyone who pays, swing by the post to pay postage and ship it (and after hours hopefully they have a working kiosk).  I thought you were more looking at buying & selling while on the road.

But if you'll be in podunk towns and / or printing labels at night and leaving packages to be shipped by the hotel or an office front desk, and fixed on buying a portable printer, yeah I'd go with the small thermal and self-stick labels.

post #26134 of 30454

The new changes in regards to Top Seller Status are bad for my shipping policy.  I currently drop packages off in the evening at a Staples, which is great, however they don't get scanned in until the next day at the earliest when USPS picks them up and they start moving.  I am showing like 20% of my shipments being "late" even though they are always the next business day.  Does anyone know if Staples can use that "Scan Sheet" feature?  Else, I can just change my policy to 2 day handling and not worry about it the discount.

post #26135 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

The new changes in regards to Top Seller Status are bad for my shipping policy.  I currently drop packages off in the evening at a Staples, which is great, however they don't get scanned in until the next day at the earliest when USPS picks them up and they start moving.  I am showing like 20% of my shipments being "late" even though they are always the next business day.  Does anyone know if Staples can use that "Scan Sheet" feature?  Else, I can just change my policy to 2 day handling and not worry about it the discount.
I don't let anything out of my possession without physically watching it get scanned at the post office with my own eyes.I really don't think people care about TRS status anyway anymore. Ebay sets the threshold way to low it's less than what %1 it's ridiculous especially when it really comes down to relying on usps to keep there delivery date promise.
post #26136 of 30454
What's with people now asking do you have a tracking number? Less than 24 hrs after sale date. When it clearly says up to 3 day handling time. People are so impatient.
post #26137 of 30454
So far if I've needed to take the whole 3 days to ship, I've preemptively written the buyer telling them that I was out of town and wouldn't be able to ship until Monday. So far so good. Worst case scenario, I could get my wife to ship something for me, but I'd like to avoid that.
post #26138 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndhandman View Post


I don't let anything out of my possession without physically watching it get scanned at the post office with my own eyes.I really don't think people care about TRS status anyway anymore. Ebay sets the threshold way to low it's less than what %1 it's ridiculous especially when it really comes down to relying on usps to keep there delivery date promise.

Aint nobody got time for that.

I drop my packages in a huge USPS laundry cart at the PO every morning.  Only thing I'll have scanned, because you have to, is express.  I have had 2 out of 5000+ not origin scanned.  I've had about 7-8 go missing after the first scan, this is a much more common occurrence.

 

BTW, update on submitting the claim for the last thing they lost, I got a check from USPS in about a week, covered the item cost, shipping, and ebay fees.  Item was just at the $50 limit, total check was about $65.  Pretty surprised and happy about the outcome.

post #26139 of 30454
+1 on using the dropbox. The pissed off looks I get from everyone standing in line is icing on the cake too.
post #26140 of 30454
I drop packages in the back of the local PO. I've never asked for a scan. My "defects" right now are my own damned fault. If I lose TRS, my customers will lose no hassle returns.
post #26141 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

If I lose TRS, my customers will lose no hassle returns.

My sentiments exactly...

post #26142 of 30454
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodworker View Post

Aint nobody got time for that.
I drop my packages in a huge USPS laundry cart at the PO every morning.  Only thing I'll have scanned, because you have to, is express.  I have had 2 out of 5000+ not origin scanned.  I've had about 7-8 go missing after the first scan, this is a much more common occurrence.



BTW, update on submitting the claim for the last thing they lost, I got a check from USPS in about a week, covered the item cost, shipping, and ebay fees.  Item was just at the $50 limit, total check was about $65.  Pretty surprised and happy about the outcome.
well correction I do use the bulk one time scan sheet there not doing them individually. They count them and throw them in a bin but i am present when they do it.I used to just drop them off in a cart and was having a problem with them getting scanned and would just vanish. It's really just to make sure I'll get paid on insurance if they do go missing. Last year out of about 3k packages I'd say 50+ went missing or were never scanned so I couldn't claim insurance value so I was losing money on issuing refunds. Maybe there was some internal theft or just laziness on usps but since I've changed not a single one in the last nine months have disappeared into thin air. I can at least count on insurance since I can show an actual drop off receipt.
post #26143 of 30454

If I had your experience, I would certainly make the PO scan every piece in front of me, that's an awful track record.  Do you have a different PO you can go to?

post #26144 of 30454
Thanks @YoungAmerican and the PTO folks for the include this week!
post #26145 of 30454
I personally make them scan every one and give me a receipt. They get a shitty look but fuck they can do their job.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions