or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 1709

post #25621 of 30428
+1 i aint complaining
post #25622 of 30428
.
Edited by Van Veen - 1/3/16 at 9:58pm
post #25623 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Hey you know that one band that called them selves the BEATles instead of the BEETles well what if I call my store Men's WEARhouse instead of WAREhouse? Get it?


reminds me of the joke about the hooker who couldn't spell. kept going to the warehouse.

post #25624 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrifter View Post
 

 

 

My goal with eBay is to keep it simple. You're going to get lots and lots and lots of lowballs. You can set you preferences to automatically deny things under a certain amount.

 

You can have your lowest price thought out and just reply back with that.

 

eBay has a link were you can send an offer to folks who email you about  an item.

 

Just send the price you're happy with and be done with it.

 

The person will stew for a day and either buy it or not.

 

Just know what you are willing to take ahead of time.

 

 

Great info.  I've only recently started selling stuff on ebay, but have been buying for years.  I often ask what a seller will take and if he/she doesn't reply I just move on to the next item.  If you are not even willing to give a perspective buyer a starting price then you haven't started the negotiating process. 

post #25625 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post

Great info.  I've only recently started selling stuff on ebay, but have been buying for years.  I often ask what a seller will take and if he/she doesn't reply I just move on to the next item.  If you are not even willing to give a perspective buyer a starting price then you haven't started the negotiating process. 

My listing price is the starting price.

An important rule of negotiation it that you don't negotiate with yourself. If you name the price twice in a row, then you are negotiating with yourself.

That said, because we are talking about relatively inexpensive items I will sometimes do it just to save time. However, if someone asks me for my best price and I give it, then I will not go any lower. Many people like to do that negotiating gamesmanship of asking for the best price and then using that as the new starting point for a negotiation. I tell them that if they wanted to negotiate that they should have negotiated, not asked for the best price.
post #25626 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


My listing price is the starting price.

An important rule of negotiation it that you don't negotiate with yourself. If you name the price twice in a row, then you are negotiating with yourself.

That said, because we are talking about relatively inexpensive items I will sometimes do it just to save time. However, if someone asks me for my best price and I give it, then I will not go any lower. Many people like to do that negotiating gamesmanship of asking for the best price and then using that as the new starting point for a negotiation. I tell them that if they wanted to negotiate that they should have negotiated, not asked for the best price.

 

I agree if I ask for a best price and the seller gives me a number I either pay or move on.  I hate negotiating and sellers who refuse to even give a best price.  Clearly if it's OBO most buyers like myself are trying to get that OBO number. 

 

I once asked a seller for their best price and he said "the most your willing to pay", I replied with "the lowest possible price" and he never replied. 

post #25627 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
 

 

I agree if I ask for a best price and the seller gives me a number I either pay or move on.  I hate negotiating and sellers who refuse to even give a best price.  Clearly if it's OBO most buyers like myself are trying to get that OBO number. 

 

I once asked a seller for their best price and he said "the most your willing to pay", I replied with "the lowest possible price" and he never replied. 

 

How can the seller determine the best offer they have received if a buyer does not make an offer?

 

The seller has started the negotiation process. By offering at a stated price he has made the item for sale, and by making an OBO listing has indicated that he is willing to negotiate with you. Most sellers, as @Steve Smith indicated above, are not looking to negotiate with themselves.

 

I get what you're after, and as a buyer I'd love for it to work that way all of the time, too. But I don't believe it's reasonable to think that it will work that way in many transactions.

post #25628 of 30428
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post

How can the seller determine the best offer they have received if a buyer does not make an offer?

The seller has started the negotiation process. By offering at a stated price he has made the item for sale, and by making an OBO listing has indicated that he is willing to negotiate with you. Most sellers, as @Steve Smith
 indicated above, are not looking to negotiate with themselves.

I get what you're after, and as a buyer I'd love for it to work that way all of the time, too. But I don't believe it's reasonable to think that it will work that way in many transactions.

I agree with this 100% ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post

I agree if I ask for a best price and the seller gives me a number I either pay or move on.  I hate negotiating and sellers who refuse to even give a best price.  Clearly if it's OBO most buyers like myself are trying to get that OBO number. 

I once asked a seller for their best price and he said "the most your willing to pay", I replied with "the lowest possible price" and he never replied. 

I think it makes sense to get straight to the real number. By offering a "best offer" option in ANY transaction, the seller is implying that the stated price is likely inflated and not they do not expect to receive it. However, by asking a seller what a better price is, the buyer is skipping an important step in their responsibility...showing interest by making an offer.

If you're selling a car and want to get €10,000 for it, you may list it at €11,000-12,000. If a buyer comes along and says "What's your best price?," and the seller replies "€10,000," the buyer will likely say "I'll give you €8,000."

By skipping this step, most transactions are being set up for aggravation on the seller's part (feeling like they're being cheated) and buyer's part (like they're not willing to negotiate). That sets a terrible tone for the entire process.

By advertising something with a price, the seller is saying that A) I'm willing to negotiate, and B) this is the starting point. It's up to the buyer to make the next move by offering an amount. If the two can agree on a price, it will fall somewhere between the original price the seller was asking and the original offer the buyer made = both happy.
post #25629 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post

Clearly if it's OBO most buyers like myself are trying to get that OBO number. 

I once asked a seller for their best price and he said "the most your willing to pay", I replied with "the lowest possible price" and he never replied. 

And I'm sure he wept all night as there are no other buyers out there.

Surely you see the circular logic here...

... Or maybe not, because you clearly don't understand the meaning of "best offer." The buyer is the one who makes the offer, not the seller.

If you hate negotiating, just hit the buy it now button and don't bother making an offer.
post #25630 of 30428

Auctions ending this Sunday sucked for me.  BIN has been great.

post #25631 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
 

 

I agree if I ask for a best price and the seller gives me a number I either pay or move on.  I hate negotiating and sellers who refuse to even give a best price.  Clearly if it's OBO most buyers like myself are trying to get that OBO number. 

 

I once asked a seller for their best price and he said "the most your willing to pay", I replied with "the lowest possible price" and he never replied. 

 

 

Sorry, but that is not negotiation.

 

I always ignore "buyers" who ask what my best price is. My best price is the BIN price. If you want a lower price, state your price. If it's a lowball, I will ignore you. If it's reasonable, I will counter or accept. I accepted an offer the other day at $270 on a listing with a price of $310 because the buyer made  a reasonable offer and I wanted to rid my storage of the item. The buyer appreciated my willingness to deal, and I appreciated his actual offer.

 

Too much of Ebay is people seeking gemstones for the price of peanuts. I'm a shop, not a charity.


Edited by Fueco - 1/4/16 at 1:58pm
post #25632 of 30428
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but here's an anecdote:

I put a cashmere sweater up for $35 OBO last night. As I was listing other items, I got an offer for $20 saying "that's the most I'm willing to risk." I might have taken it at $25, but I decided to sleep on it. When I woke up this morning, someone had bought it for full price.

I would have left $15 on the table had I panicked and accepted this guy's offer. Instead I got the benefit of eBay showing other buyers that there was a pending offer, so someone decided to pull the trigger and pay my price instead of haggling.

I can see both sides of the coin as a buyer and seller. It's in the seller's best interest to only negotiate within the offer system to create time pressure on other interested buyers, not to mention it makes the buyer's offer binding. From a buyer's perspective, I'm not going to fault anyone for trying to go outside the system to gain an advantage. I just won't tolerate it as a seller.
post #25633 of 30428

Piling on the :deadhorse: here, but with so many sellers on this board, I'll share my own anecdote and solicit thoughts from them.

 

A little while back there was a Drakes tie that interested me, listed for about $50 OBO. I wear a tie about once a month, and even then it's a conscious choice. In other words, having about one or two ties in my closet is probably enough. But since I spend a ton of time in the CM section of StyleForum, I like nice ties, so when I have a chance to get a good deal on a top quality item, I try to get it, but only if I can get it at a very good price.

 

I submitted an offer of, I think, about $25.

 

The seller countered at $45. We went back and forth for my three offers, and the seller countered each time, which I really appreciated.

 

In any event, his final offer was $40. I had set $35 as the max I was willing to spend since I did not really need another tie, so I did not purchase. It felt weird, though, because although there were no messages going back and forth, we simply used the "Make Best Offer/Make Counteroffer" functionality, I never communicated back to the seller that I appreciated his willingness to negotiate, and I knew that he was offering a fair price, it was simply beyond what I was personally willing to spend. Instead, the expiration period on his offer simply came and went without comment.

 

I considered sending him a message through Ebay, but I wasn't sure if it would be welcome or unwanted. What do the sellers say?

post #25634 of 30428
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post
 

Piling on the :deadhorse: here, but with so many sellers on this board, I'll share my own anecdote and solicit thoughts from them.

 

A little while back there was a Drakes tie that interested me, listed for about $50 OBO. I wear a tie about once a month, and even then it's a conscious choice. In other words, having about one or two ties in my closet is probably enough. But since I spend a ton of time in the CM section of StyleForum, I like nice ties, so when I have a chance to get a good deal on a top quality item, I try to get it, but only if I can get it at a very good price.

 

I submitted an offer of, I think, about $25.

 

The seller countered at $45. We went back and forth for my three offers, and the seller countered each time, which I really appreciated.

 

In any event, his final offer was $40. I had set $35 as the max I was willing to spend since I did not really need another tie, so I did not purchase. It felt weird, though, because although there were no messages going back and forth, we simply used the "Make Best Offer/Make Counteroffer" functionality, I never communicated back to the seller that I appreciated his willingness to negotiate, and I knew that he was offering a fair price, it was simply beyond what I was personally willing to spend. Instead, the expiration period on his offer simply came and went without comment.

 

I considered sending him a message through Ebay, but I wasn't sure if it would be welcome or unwanted. What do the sellers say?

 

 

I definitely respect the back and forth, and understand that sometimes the buyer's offer is too low for what I was looking for. If a buyer sent a message after using all of his offers, in a reasonable manner, saying something like "Sorry, but that's as high as I can go" or "Would you take $10 more?" I might be inclined to deal if I want to sell.

 

About a month ago, I was watching a pair of rock climbing shoes which were listed at $100/obo. They were "on sale" for $92, so I submitted an offer at $82. Then I submitted an offer at $85. Then I submitted an offer at $88. All three offers were rejected. I sent a message to the seller, and he responded with an offer at $90, stating that was the lowest he could go. I accepted.

post #25635 of 30428

here's what i do: I'll list something BINOBO. if i get an offer that i feel is unacceptable, but earnest and not just a lowballing troll, i'll reject the offer. but i send a message stating that no i can't do F but i will do C. I'll also state that I'm NOT sending a counteroffer, if they want to make an offer of C i will accept but the ball stays in their court - i've outlined where i stand and why, plus i don't have to waste any time on the issue on my end. this has worked pretty well for me and i've short-circuited a back-and-forth number volley into a neat two-step.

 

i think this works because I'm not just lobbing numbers which to me is not all that productive unless it's the only language available.  imo there's an important human component of getting deals done and ebay's counteroffer machinery kind of depersonalizes the process. it's much harder to be a jerk one-on-one (but of course that happens too) but if you can troll somebody with just a number then that's very easy to do isn't it? $.02

 

***

 

on the other side, i buy very little but i have messaged sellers with offers directly if they don't use OBO. I don't really bother lowballing people because there's too many screaming deals to be had at face value. occasionally if there is something very specific that i look for i just try to deal with people on their terms.

 

but sometimes i play the waiting game. i'm crazy patient! - i once stalked a mandolin for 2 years until the shop changed hands and then i bled that deal out bad.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions