or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 1695

post #25411 of 30451
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrifter View Post
 

 

I don't know Spoo. Good description of how the group acts sometimes but man some really do pile on. I've seen it over and over. Women get blasted out of the forum quick (ebay and thrift thread), seemingly educated folks with reasoned posts get blasted as well. I didn't see anything really that was overly confrontational. I could tell @colco was going to get attacked and it was for just really stupid reasons.

 

Is there no moderation for the attacks that happen? @HansderHund do you moderate here or did you just start this years ago?

 

Other forums/groups I'm in 75% of you posting attacks would have been kicked out already. This wild west is how some of you like it?

 

I don't get it. Some of you same folks have been helpful and kind to me. I wonder why if you then would treat someone else so different? Is this how you'd teach your kids to act towards newbies or anyone really?

 

Maybe y'all should create a closed forum on someone's server somewhere if you continually want to reject most new posters to these public forums... Or post the hazing rules periodically so newbies would know what they would need to go through if they wanted to remain.

 

 

EDIT: i should apologize for my tone to @classicthrifter and anybody who read my original response to the above. let me try to communicate my point again in a civilized way:

 

imo there are simply no grounds at all for any claims of misogyny in either of these threads. in fact i've never noticed anybody bashed because of gender, sexuality, religion, nationality etc rather i think everybody who has been a part of these threads have truly been treated as fellow thrifters - nothing more, nothing less. even when there are differences of opinion, and i really feel the threads ought to get more credit in that regard.

 

imo there's no need to bring anybody's children or parenting into the discussion. to do so is beyond personal and to me there's really no place for it. we all have our situations - some share, some don't and i've only ever seen people supported and well wished when they choose to share that side of their IRLs. 

 

it's a shame to paint a really diverse group of people with such a broad brush, especially since folks get along pretty well for the most part. it seems like there's a whole bunch of newcomers on the other thread lately, and lots of what could be considered noob questions but everybody seems to be getting absorbed without too much issue. in any case there will be issues because there are a lot of personalities and that's just the way people are. these are complex interactions and i think it's unfortunate and unfair to try to pin responsibility on one party or the other. sometimes we just have to muddle through.. hopefully that's clear.


Edited by double00 - 12/22/15 at 12:27am
post #25412 of 30451
a

Edited by Fueco - 12/21/15 at 11:46pm
post #25413 of 30451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexco View Post
 

Had my first "full" week of auctions and pulled in about $500 off of 14 sold auctions. I'm happy with that. I need to allocate more time throughout the week to get listings up. I'm still not very efficient with it but I have so much to list that I'll probably stop thrifting for about a month to catch up.


BTW, would love to hear your progression as a full timer now. I've been puttering away for about a year and a half at this but my day job still takes up most of my time..

post #25414 of 30451
Nah, he's right for the most part. He maybe used some hyperbole to make his point, but a lot of threads on this forum are very hostile to new posters.
post #25415 of 30451
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrifter View Post

No, many forums are not like this Fueco. They are not. It is okay to be mean because Internet? I stay because what I've learned has upped my game exponentially but some of y'all are just plain mean sometimes and I really am torn as to whether I should remain a part of this.

Most forums are like this. DAFS, bro.
post #25416 of 30451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post
 

 


It's the internet. Forums have always been this way.

 

The bar analogy is pretty fitting in this case. If you walk into a new bar and ease into the conversation, you're going to be welcomed. If you fight back (verbally or physically) any time someone says something you disagree with, you're not going to be welcome.

 

In this case, a valid answer to the question was given in a timely manner. The answer was then rejected as not working for the one who posed the question. And ever since then, any attempt to answer his question has been met with the same derision.

 

You know what? None of us owe this dude anything. I know I get a bit hot headed at times online, but I don't suffer fools well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrifter View Post
 

 

No, many forums are not like this Fueco. They are not. It is okay to be mean because Internet? I stay because what I've learned has upped my game exponentially but some of y'all are just plain mean sometimes and I really am torn as to whether I should remain a part of this.


I gave thumbs up to both posts because I can relate to each side of the discussion. There was a time when I avoided SF because I felt that the members were too abrasive. Then, I realized that I was overreacting to what I perceived were disparaging remarks. After I came to my senses, people around here were very welcoming, even friendly. If you come on here with controversial views, prepare to be able to intelligently defend your stance without resorting to anger and hostility. You can make remarks that go against the grain. That is how a discussion works. However, when you start making personal remarks, you can expect the same in return. People here don't automatically shun newcomers. For the most part, I have witnessed people trying to be tolerant. Nobody's perfect. Different people have things that annoy them. I try to stay out of the pissing contests but I am not afraid to offer a rebuke to someone who is being discourteous to other members. Like Fueco said, I do not suffer fools well. This is a great forum that offers a wealth of information on a myriad of topics. I can only hope that nobody leaves like I once did. Valuable resources like this are in rare supply.

post #25417 of 30451
a

Edited by Fueco - 12/21/15 at 11:46pm
post #25418 of 30451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SartodiNapoli View Post
 

Dear friends, I suspect I might be scammed 4000$ on Ebay, please help;

 

 

 I have a suspicious buyer with only 1 buy but registered since since 2001 and is from a trouble country. 
 
 
I am buying ( SORRY I TYPPED WRONGLY I WAS BUYING, WHILE I AM SELLING IT   a 4000$ good that costed me 15 years to find.
 
 
 
I suspect he pays it, and then puts me a paypal claim that he got a brick inside the box, so I lose the machine and the cash.
 
 
 
 
What should I do to protect me ?
 
 
Thanks
 
 
 
cleardot.gif

 

 

Thanks some of you who helped me, I knew from the beginning the guy with 0 feedback was a scammer or was playing. Here his latest answer. His dog ate it... lol
 
 

 

Hi mate,

A family emergency came up on the weekend and I've had to use half the money I had for the item on flights :( I won't be able to buy it right away I'm sorry so you should put it back on ebay. When I save the money back, if you're stuff is still on ebay I will email you again.

Thanks again bro, and I hope we talk again soon.

Cheers,

 
post #25419 of 30451
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrifter View Post

I don't know Spoo. Good description of how the group acts sometimes but man some really do pile on. I've seen it over and over. Women get blasted out of the forum quick (ebay and thrift thread), seemingly educated folks with reasoned posts get blasted as well. I didn't see anything really that was overly confrontational. I could tell @colco
 was going to get attacked and it was for just really stupid reasons.

Is there no moderation for the attacks that happen? @HansderHund
 do you moderate here or did you just start this years ago?

Other forums/groups I'm in 75% of you posting attacks would have been kicked out already. This wild west is how some of you like it?

I don't get it. Some of you same folks have been helpful and kind to me. I wonder why if you then would treat someone else so different? Is this how you'd teach your kids to act towards newbies or anyone really?

Maybe y'all should create a closed forum on someone's server somewhere if you continually want to reject most new posters to these public forums... Or post the hazing rules periodically so newbies would know what they would need to go through if they wanted to remain.


I did start this thread and I follow every single post, though I am not a site moderator. However, if I were, I'm not sure what would be moderated. I followed the recent blowup and I sincerely have no idea how it escalated so quickly. It went a bit like this:

"You guys don't list things as NWOT?"
"No," "no," "no," and "no."
"What? Really?"
"No."
...
"I'm not your friend, buddy."
"I'm not your buddy, guy."
"He's not your guy, friend."



Anyway, to all those involved: I can count only a couple of heated discussions that have taken place in this thread over the past few years. Most of them revolved around such controversial topics as shipping rates and return policies. We all do the same thing, more or less, whether we're selling NWT stuff, used, consignment, womenswear, menswear, womenswear for men or menswear for women. What we're NOT doing is performing life-saving heart transplant surgery, returning stranded astronauts to Earth using limited available resources, or quickly and safely putting out burning buildings.

There is an insane amount of helpful, and yes, at times boring, information inside the 25,000 posts here. There is also a lot of untapped information available from the contributing members, both present and future. I will say, however, that I have not seen any reason to believe this thread, prior to now, has been terribly unwelcoming to anyone. Lots of threads here and elsewhere can be unwelcoming, but I sincerely doubt this is one of them.

Everyone take a deep breath, move forward and be thankful that ebay is easing their restrictions in the new year.
post #25420 of 30451
Thread Starter 
As a bonus point, I am often amazed at people, whether at work, standing in line for something, on a forum, or anywhere else for that matter, in dealing the criticism. I try to ask myself: is this how I want to offer criticism? Is this the best way to get my point across? Is this how I want to react to criticism? Is this the best way to make my thought-process heard?

When someone offers criticism, and, by default, someone else receives criticism, there is normally one main goal floating around: do something better. If that is the goal, complete an action better, faster, and more efficiently, then the approach and reaction should be considered.

Example:
You want a new format to mass emails because they're difficult to follow and read. Do you send a passive-agressive email out stating your opinions? Do you make a snarky comment to the original author? Do you berate people for wasting your time with nonsense?

All of the above options would probably piss someone off to some degree. Your point may be valid and you may get it across by doing any of those things. However, your goal is to get your information (emails) in a better format. Why not spend the time to create a useful standard format and send it out to everyone with a short explanation that, by using it, you'll save everyone a bit of time.
post #25421 of 30451
alright.

Everyone got it out of their system and move on.

Bartender has a new question for the patrons -

"Whats your best sale of 2015?"

And go.
post #25422 of 30451
My biggest sale was a pair of NOS Florsheim shell cordovan wing tips. Sold for just shy of $450 iirc. Big thanks to @Orgetorix for pointing them out to me on Craigslist, never would have found them otherwise.
post #25423 of 30451

These TF suits will be probably but since that hasn't happened yet and I haven't put my Tom Ford NWT's Gucci Tuxedo up for live auction yet, best single sale would probably be my Oxxford Clothes Pure Guanaco blazer for $750 (should have held out for more). I also have about 4 or 5 Kiton sales that were around 650-700.

post #25424 of 30451

I don't have one. :confused: Just a bunch of average stuff.

post #25425 of 30451

Slow and steady wins the race.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions