or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 1622

post #24316 of 31048

Folks, getting offers from 2 separate zero feedback bidders on a BB Suede jacket. Both in the same zip code in Elizabethtown, TN.

 

Seems too fishy. Advice?

post #24317 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebarne View Post
 

Folks, getting offers from 2 separate zero feedback bidders on a BB Suede jacket. Both in the same zip code in Elizabethtown, TN.

 

Seems too fishy. Advice?

Counter both at a $1 less than the listed price and say "I really can't budge. This item is getting a lot interest, especially from Elizabethtown residents."

 

Not sure what their trying to do, but it does seem suspect. What was the difference in the offers? Was one somewhat reasonable and the other a lowball?

post #24318 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcRibb View Post
 

Counter both at a $1 less than the listed price and say "I really can't budge. This item is getting a lot interest, especially from Elizabethtown residents."

 

 

Please do this and screenshot it.

post #24319 of 31048

Recently I have had early bidders on cheaper things that I wasn't sure would sell.  They bid the first day or within the first couple.  Then, (in every case I am thinking of) no one else bids and then they don't pay when they sell.  Are they just trying to bid to get into the "fun" of ebay?  Or do they forget they bid and 5 or 6 days later when it ends they have moved on?  I don't get it. 

 

Last week a Miracle Happened.  An unpaid item case was opened on a guy who never responded to any emails.  The case opened and on the second day, he PAID.   AND he left positive feedback when he got the shoes!   Its a Halloween Miracle! 

post #24320 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedishin View Post
 

 

Please do this and screenshot it.

 

I countered $25 lower to both. One countered up $25, one countered up $50. the 2nd one is now at my target price, but these bastards are making me nervous.

post #24321 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post

Recently I have had early bidders on cheaper things that I wasn't sure would sell.  They bid the first day or within the first couple.  Then, (in every case I am thinking of) no one else bids and then they don't pay when they sell.  Are they just trying to bid to get into the "fun" of ebay?  Or do they forget they bid and 5 or 6 days later when it ends they have moved on?  I don't get it. 

Last week a Miracle Happened.  An unpaid item case was opened on a guy who never responded to any emails.  The case opened and on the second day, he PAID.   AND he left positive feedback when he got the shoes!   Its a Halloween Miracle! 

That first thing seems to happen to me a lot lately. If I get a bid within the first day or two and then don't get any other bids, I've started to assume I won't get paid. If they pay, it's become sort of a nice surprise.
post #24322 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Main Man View Post

That first thing seems to happen to me a lot lately. If I get a bid within the first day or two and then don't get any other bids, I've started to assume I won't get paid. If they pay, it's become sort of a nice surprise.

I've been known to bid on things with a ridiculously low starting number (like .99) fully expecting to get outbid. Most of the time I get outbid, but I've gotten a few. Once I bid on (and won for .99 plus shipping) a orphaned dB coat just to scavenge the buttons. I don't see how someone could forget though with all the reminders ebay sends.
post #24323 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox15 View Post


I've been known to bid on things with a ridiculously low starting number (like .99) fully expecting to get outbid. Most of the time I get outbid, but I've gotten a few. Once I bid on (and won for .99 plus shipping) a orphaned dB coat just to scavenge the buttons. I don't see how someone could forget though with all the reminders ebay sends.

 

I'm still trying to figure out why I had to close an unpaid case against someone who made me a lowball offer on a Best Offer item recently to which I agreed. Two weeks later she still had not paid - and that was with reminders and an unpaid item reminder from me. Nothing. Silence. Zip. :/

post #24324 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotii View Post
 

 

I'm still trying to figure out why I had to close an unpaid case against someone who made me a lowball offer on a Best Offer item recently to which I agreed. Two weeks later she still had not paid - and that was with reminders and an unpaid item reminder from me. Nothing. Silence. Zip. :/

 

 

Don't give people so much time... Someone else will want it too. 

post #24325 of 31048
I have a couple hsm gold trumpeter over coats listed that don't have size tags so I just listed measurements. Someone just asked what the size would be? I know a 44 would be larger to for over a 44 jacket but are there any rules or charts on this? Or is my only option to list measurements?
post #24326 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post
 

 

 

Don't give people so much time... Someone else will want it too. 

How do you close earlier without losing your fees? That would've been some significant fees if I didn't wait it out.

post #24327 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotii View Post
 

How do you close earlier without losing your fees? That would've been some significant fees if I didn't wait it out.

Open an unpaid item ticket (I have mine open 4 days after the auction ends) and then close out when you can. Only ends up being a week instead of a couple. Once the unpaid item ticket is closed, you recoup your fees instantly.

post #24328 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebarne View Post
 

 

I countered $25 lower to both. One countered up $25, one countered up $50. the 2nd one is now at my target price, but these bastards are making me nervous.


I have a bad feeling about this.

post #24329 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebarne View Post
 

 

I countered $25 lower to both. One countered up $25, one countered up $50. the 2nd one is now at my target price, but these bastards are making me nervous.

 

It is either the same person or two people working together.  I'm sure he/they are just trying to work you to get the best price. They shouldn't be doing it this way.  However, if the higher offer is what you would sell it for if someone else offered it to you, then why does it matter?  Just take the good offer.  They may think they got the best of you with their trickery, but if you get the price you wanted, sell it.  

post #24330 of 31048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmkeart View Post

I have a couple hsm gold trumpeter over coats listed that don't have size tags so I just listed measurements. Someone just asked what the size would be? I know a 44 would be larger to for over a 44 jacket but are there any rules or charts on this? Or is my only option to list measurements?

 

if its an overcoat that measures like a 44 Sport/Suit Coat measures then that would probably be a 42 or maybe even a 40.  Overcoats are larger obviously because they can be worn over a suit coat/ SC/sweater.    Didn't you have to list a size in the item specifics?   I would call it a 42 but put a disclaimer in it that it does not have any tags and it measures as a 44 but overcoats are larger because they are worn over something.  Or something to that effect.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions