or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 157

post #2341 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Fellow dudes/users of Garagesale. Is this something I can hit the ground running with on a basic level? If I download it right now, can I expect to have some basic ads posted tomorrow without much more effort than just posting via ebay? I need to start trading my closet's steez for cheese.

 

Yeah I just downloaded it the other day and found it pretty straightforward. Have a bunch of listings scheduled tomorrow with it. You can at least choose a simple template and get started. Take the 10 mins or so to watch one of the demo videos.  

post #2342 of 11930
I agree. The videos are useful and will get you up and running. I referred to them several times.
post #2343 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron View Post

Observation...

The 1'st and 15th of the month play a larger role in determining final price then ending auctions on Sundays.

Thoughts???

Interesting theory. Is the idea that people are feeling flush around payday and are more likely to bid higher amounts then? My paydays don't usually fall on those days/weekends perfectly though—I'm sure there's lots of variance.
post #2344 of 11930
Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.

post #2345 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.

Nice. Would love to see a photo of the box itself and light setup.

post #2346 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Nice. Would love to see a photo of the box itself and light setup.

It's a hideous looking thing, but I'll post it up later. I didn't want to waste time last night making it look pretty before I started snapping pics. For the picture of that tie, I used 2 clamp lights from Home Depot or Lowes, and each light has a 100W CFL daylight bulb in it. They are both positioned above the box, about 3-4 inches away from the muslin. You could substitute a white t-shirt or white bed sheet for the muslin, although you probably wouldn't wanna go too thick on the sheet. For the backdrop, I used a piece of poster board material I found at Jo Ann Fabric. It makes a perfect sweep because it doesn't wrinkle like muslin would, although for larger setups poster board would be hard to find in such a large size, so seamless paper would be an alternative (or muslin).

I'm making one out of PVC pipe tonight that will house the mannequin. It's basically just a 3-D cube with the muslin draped over it, and muslin used as the sweeping backdrop since I don't have poster board near large enough for a tent that big. A little ironing should take care of the wrinkling problem. I'm also going to upgrade to 4 clamp lights for a total of 400W with the ability to aim a floor lamp at the setup for ad additional 100W if I need it.

This isn't my box, but it's the same basic setup:

post #2347 of 11930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.


Photo looks great! I'd love to know a bit more about it as well or get a good idea. I like your idea for PVC for the whole mannequin. Is there any worry of heat from the lamps?
post #2348 of 11930

Not really any worry of heat (that would melt the pvc) from CFL's, especially if there's any ventilation at all.

 

Built a similar setup for a friend (pvc cube made from home depot's sprinkler aisle pipes and elbows. Come to think of it, for another friend, we built 6 foot tall frames out of pvc that could stand on their own, which we draped white bed sheets over and shot lights through. With the right amount of light, it covered a person over 6 feet tall from head to toe on a white seamless background. 

 

Going to go try garage sale now... Thanks for the info!

post #2349 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

It's a hideous looking thing, but I'll post it up later. I didn't want to waste time last night making it look pretty before I started snapping pics. For the picture of that tie, I used 2 clamp lights from Home Depot or Lowes, and each light has a 100W CFL daylight bulb in it. They are both positioned above the box, about 3-4 inches away from the muslin. You could substitute a white t-shirt or white bed sheet for the muslin, although you probably wouldn't wanna go too thick on the sheet. For the backdrop, I used a piece of poster board material I found at Jo Ann Fabric. It makes a perfect sweep because it doesn't wrinkle like muslin would, although for larger setups poster board would be hard to find in such a large size, so seamless paper would be an alternative (or muslin).

I'm making one out of PVC pipe tonight that will house the mannequin. It's basically just a 3-D cube with the muslin draped over it, and muslin used as the sweeping backdrop since I don't have poster board near large enough for a tent that big. A little ironing should take care of the wrinkling problem. I'm also going to upgrade to 4 clamp lights for a total of 400W with the ability to aim a floor lamp at the setup for ad additional 100W if I need it.

This isn't my box, but it's the same basic setup:


I bought a couple of these guys to increase the light output.

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Basics-413-4-Socket-Adapter/dp/B0028K2TXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361479757&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+cfl

post #2350 of 11930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Not really any worry of heat (that would melt the pvc) from CFL's, especially if there's any ventilation at all.

Built a similar setup for a friend (pvc cube made from home depot's sprinkler aisle pipes and elbows. Come to think of it, for another friend, we built 6 foot tall frames out of pvc that could stand on their own, which we draped white bed sheets over and shot lights through. With the right amount of light, it covered a person over 6 feet tall from head to toe on a white seamless background. 

Going to go try garage sale now... Thanks for the info!

I completely forgot to respond to your GarageSale info request. I got started using it about a month ago. Pretty intuitive, spend some time figuring out the basics before you list. Make a fake listing and see how it looks without submitting it. Try a few of the templates to see which one you like the best. Other than that, pretty straight forward!
post #2351 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Photo looks great! I'd love to know a bit more about it as well or get a good idea. I like your idea for PVC for the whole mannequin. Is there any worry of heat from the lamps?

The CFLs didn't get very hot, even after being on for over an hour. PVC seems to be the easiest way to build it. Even if you had a cardboard box that size, it would be a lot more work having to cut out holes in the sides, not to mention it would be pretty flimsy.

Hopefully I'll have it built tonight and I can post photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmurdock View Post

I bought a couple of these guys to increase the light output.

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Basics-413-4-Socket-Adapter/dp/B0028K2TXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361479757&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+cfl


I wish I could get those locally. I might go down that road if my setup isn't bright enough.
post #2352 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Make a fake listing and see how it looks without submitting it. Try a few of the templates to see which one you like the best.

This is great idea - I only thought of it after I started using the tool. I'd even go so far as to say create a 99 cent listing and post it and then view it from your computer and/or your mobile. Even try to revise it, just to get the hang of it when there's no pressure.
post #2353 of 11930
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Built a light tent last night out of a cardboard box and some muslin - it's big enough for ties only. The slope in the back is made from poster board, muslin is used on the outside of the box for diffusion. Thinking of making a larger one that can fit my mannequin, if I have room.


Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding.

My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded.
(Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album)
photo IMG_0563_zps3252121e.jpg

Edit:
And one more...
photo IMG_0522_zpsdc1ae062.jpg
post #2354 of 11930

Okay, I have one item for sale on EBay, it is a JM Weston pair of shoes model 423.  The link is here:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Weston-Mens-Shoes-Model-423-Almost-New-/271158290636?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f224b28cc

 

There is currently one bid on the shoes but the buyer is in South Korea!  My ad says shipping to:  United States.  The buyer has positive feedback but none for the past twelve months.  Think it is a scam?  Should I tell the guy to fly a kite?  Tell him okay, but payment in advance?  Not sure how to handle and any advice is appreciated.

 

Thanks much.

post #2355 of 11930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

This is great idea - I only thought of it after I started using the tool. I'd even go so far as to say create a 99 cent listing and post it and then view it from your computer and/or your mobile. Even try to revise it, just to get the hang of it when there's no pressure.

That's a great idea! I would guess that in the next year, my listings will be entirely different in their appearance simply because I tweak something every time I view my own listings. It gives you a better overview, especially when you view it on an iPad or mobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Just MHO, but shots like this, with the item surrounded by white, look ungrounded to me, like the first paintings and sketches I did when I was first learning. We were always taught to put the items onto some solid object, for balance, perspective and grounding.

My pictures may not be awesome, but I like to use a plain old, matte finish Valentino suit bag as my background. I don't love the wrinkles in it, but I do think the object looks more grounded.
(Random picture chosen from my Photobucket album)
photo IMG_0563_zps3252121e.jpg

Edit:
And one more...
photo IMG_0522_zpsdc1ae062.jpg

I had never considered that aspect, but it rings true. I don't like a complicated background, but something to give it balance. Mine are taken on a tabletop (sort of) platform, but I used to use a black tabletop 3+ years go. I do like your table/set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post

Okay, I have one item for sale on EBay, it is a JM Weston pair of shoes model 423.  The link is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Weston-Mens-Shoes-Model-423-Almost-New-/271158290636?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f224b28cc

There is currently one bid on the shoes but the buyer is in South Korea!  My ad says shipping to:  United States.  The buyer has positive feedback but none for the past twelve months.  Think it is a scam?  Should I tell the guy to fly a kite?  Tell him okay, but payment in advance?  Not sure how to handle and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks much.

Well, for starters, payments are always made in advance smile.gif

Next, decide if you'd like to ship abroad. If you don't want to, prepare to cancel the bid. If you're open to it, research shipping costs to South Korea and be prepared to revise the invoice to allow him to pay (with his address) and the correct amount. I've often asked sellers if they'll ship to me even though their listing says US only. The vast majority of the time, they agree but often forget that I can't pay them until it lets me enter my foreign address.

Finally, he may be using a commercial proxy service. That means he'll pay using a US based address who will then forward his purchase to him and you would have never known he was in Korea unless you checked. I don't know of the risks, or whether there actually are any, associated with this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions