or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 147

post #2191 of 15901
But First Class (registered or not) is only for < 4 lbs, right? So it wouldn't work for scooty's box anyway.
post #2192 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

But First Class (registered or not) is only for < 4 lbs, right? So it wouldn't work for scooty's box anyway.Its fo

Its for 4lbs and under I think... pretty sure that includes 4lbs exactly just not 4lbs 1oz.

post #2193 of 15901
Just bought the GarageSale app for eBay. Holy smokes, this changes everything.
post #2194 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post

Just bought the GarageSale app for eBay. Holy smokes, this changes everything.

Really a game-changer. I forgot to follow up on it, but I bought the app a few weeks ago and its great. I'm still learning about it and haven't figured a number of things out (do you just duplicate templates and delete them when they're no longer relevant?), but it's definitely cut my work down quite a bit. I need to use a different template though or change the dimensions in the coding, as mine requires the user to scroll left and right...not good.

Overall, it's a great app!
post #2195 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post

Just bought the GarageSale app for eBay. Holy smokes, this changes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

Really a game-changer. I forgot to follow up on it, but I bought the app a few weeks ago and its great. I'm still learning about it and haven't figured a number of things out (do you just duplicate templates and delete them when they're no longer relevant?), but it's definitely cut my work down quite a bit. I need to use a different template though or change the dimensions in the coding, as mine requires the user to scroll left and right...not good.

Overall, it's a great app!

+100!

I alos agree on the user interface. Not everything is clear or apparent or near at hand. It took me a few auctions to find out how to put limits on who could see my auctions (i.e. those with more than 2 unpaid claims, etc).

The two things I've had trouble with (these might be related):
1. the scheduling assistant. I had it opened and running so it could automatically start my auctions and some did not work
2. When I start a group of auctions myself, 20 - 30% don't "take". they are not successfully started. I get an error message about a problem uploading to the ebay photo server. I then highlight these unsuccessful auctions and start them. They'll then usually start but out of a group of 10 -12 it takes 2 - 3 times to get them all up and running.
post #2196 of 15901
For the sellers in this thread, have you joined the new global shipping program? I have yet to open my business to international customers, but this seems pretty enticing from my perspective since it's no effort.
post #2197 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

For the sellers in this thread, have you joined the new global shipping program? I have yet to open my business to international customers, but this seems pretty enticing from my perspective since it's no effort.

idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

post #2198 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

Just being lazy really. I ship international for people on here no problem. It's worth it to me because I don't already ship international and it gives 50% off FVF fees. Whether any buyer would ever actually use the program, doesn't matter to me as it can't negatively affect how I currently do things. If I was already offering international, I could see how it would be a detractor.
post #2199 of 15901

I hate to bring this up since this is often talked about, but I was wondering if someone could school (aka walk me through the process) me on this garage sale app., I think i am going to take the plunge.

post #2200 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tben View Post

I hate to bring this up since this is often talked about, but I was wondering if someone could school (aka walk me through the process) me on this garage sale app., I think i am going to take the plunge.

I've only been using it a short time and I have lots of things to learn. If you're interested in trying it before you buy it, you can download a free copy of it at their website that allows you to do it with a few listings.

First of all, I was offered two different versions on the App Store. I chose the more expensive one as it offered things I thought I'd use. I believe, though I may be incorrect, that the cheaper version does not allow you to set times for listings to begin.

The basic premise of the app is to allow you to create templates for your auctions. You give some basic information about your ebay account and allow it to import said information. Then, you create listings within the app and can upload them to ebay. I'm still unsure how to best utilize the app, but I've basically created a template for each of the categories that I regularly list (i.e. shoes, shirts, suits, etc.)

I then duplicate that template and fill it in for the listing. I basically have master copies of everything and then simply alter the description, measurements, pictures, etc. Again, I'm not sure if that's the best way, I'd love to hear from more experiences members if I'm complicating my work.

When you begin, you choose from a number of pre-made templates that offer different layouts of the photos and information. You can make some changes to the template I believe, though I pretty much leave it as is and fill it in with my information.

Once you're finished, you can immediately post the listing or set it as an "event," meaning that they'll upload it for you on the date/time that you request. If you go this route (and with the more expensive version of the app), you'll be able to circumvent ebay's scheduled listing fee.

That's the simple explanation of how it works.

A few notes:

All of the same options that are available in manually listing something on ebay are available. For example: Buy it now, shipping restrictions, etc.

You can upload to any of the ebay sites, not only ebay.com. I upload mine to ebay.at/de and that was obviously crucial for me. The designers are actually German, so it worked out for me. If you choose to upload it to another site (for example ebay.fr), the language and options change. I haven't tried it with ebay.com, but I'm fairly sure you guys have different options available to you than I.

You can view/edit the HTML coding within GarageSale or through ebay (after it's uploaded). It's probably helpful/useful if you know something about coding. If you don't, you don't have to mess with it and you can use a visual layout. The coding is done for you in the background.

If there is a problem with your listing or information is left out, you'll get a detailed error message upon attempting to upload it. For example, if you don't have your handling time selected, it will prompt you. If you're trying to sell something often counterfeited, it will direct you to ebay's warning page.

You can see the number of views and watchers within GarageSale by clicking on your current auctions.

Overall, it is a great tool. It's much easier to have templates saved that has shipping costs and country restrictions in place. I don't know if it's useful for people that only sell something every once in awhile. For those, I'd recommend simply saving templates within ebay and editing them.

The best feature for me is the ability to create listings all week and have them set to start at a certain time. I'm sure another big plus is the ability to embed a number of photos within the listing. Currently, my dimensions are off on my template, forcing the viewer to scroll left to right to see the photos. I haven't bothered to fix it as the same photos are seen in the photo area of ebay's listing.

Anyway, we'll see if anyone else chimes in with information. I apologize is that was a terribly simple explanation!
post #2201 of 15901
Not sure about the Garage Sale app (I assume you're referring to a smartphone app?), but I use the desktop version. I have my image size set to the maximum and I use their hosting services which you can purchase through the Garage Sale program. The problem you're describing with your images might be a template issue, it's hard to say. You could try rearranging the positioning of the photos and see if that fixes it. You'll probably want to modify their templates so it includes a neat place to list measurements and other add-ons you might like.
post #2202 of 15901
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Not sure about the Garage Sale app (I assume you're referring to a smartphone app?), but I use the desktop version. I have my image size set to the maximum and I use their hosting services which you can purchase through the Garage Sale program. The problem you're describing with your images might be a template issue, it's hard to say. You could try rearranging the positioning of the photos and see if that fixes it. You'll probably want to modify their templates so it includes a neat place to list measurements and other add-ons you might like.

I'm using the desktop version purchased through the app store. I'm simply taking photos from iPhoto and dropping them into the listing template. I've recently encountered the problem where they no longer drag and drop. Instead, I have to go through the option of adding an iPhoto image through the menu. Not sure what happened with that.

I'm sure the template is the problem. I would imagine the dimensions are set to be too wide and then my photos on the right don't appear unless you scroll over to them. I'll have a look at what is up with the setup and maybe figure it out from there.

That's a good idea to have some sort of chart in the listing. I know most people do that, but I've never gone about doing it. I am listing more and more each month, so some of my previous methods are proving to be tedious when dealing with a larger number of listings. I'm certainly not doing hundreds of listings a month or anything, but I'm doing about twice as many as last autumn.

I also sometimes like when listings have a diagram of how they take their measurements. It makes it a bit clear to see how they come up with their numbers. I doubt I'll do that as I usually try to explain what I mean by "shoulders" or "arm length."
post #2203 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

 

Brian, are you sure?  I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky.  At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer. 

 

 

Hans,

 

I am having the same "drag and drop" issue since upgrading to mountain lion, i use the media tab next to the inspector thing near the top.  works a lot faster, but still preferred drag and drop.

post #2204 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

 

Brian, are you sure?  I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky.  At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer. 

 

 

I have recently had 3 different Canadian buyers tell me they will only shop from sellers who do NOT use the Global system, and have thanked me for not using it. Not really sure why, but I suppose things are getting messed up somewhere along the line. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if ebay/paypal are making some sort of extra profit on it. I am going to opt out as long as I can.

post #2205 of 15901
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

 

Brian, are you sure?  I have sold a couple items through it. I get paid domestic shipping and just send it to a location in Kentucky.  At that point my commitment is complete, and eBay bears the responsibility and collects the import/shipping charge from the customer. 

 

 

Hans,

 

I am having the same "drag and drop" issue since upgrading to mountain lion, i use the media tab next to the inspector thing near the top.  works a lot faster, but still preferred drag and drop.

I looked into it when I got the email a few months ago and the cost of shipping quoted by ebay was 2-3x higher then what I would normally charge someone to ship international. I guess there is no downside if you don't currently ship international as maybe someone who really wants the item will buy it irregardless of the shipping cost.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions