or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 135

post #2011 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I sold a Burberry trench coat, buyer messages me and says the coat is very nice but it doesn't fit him, and he doesn't want to spend the money to have it altered. I tell him that I'm very sorry it doesn't fit, but I do not accept returns for sizing, and I inform him that the auction had several reminders to look at the measurements and terms before purchasing. In the same message I offer him a discount on a trench coat that I plan to list tomorrow because it's a bit smaller and probably a better fit.

He never responds, and immediately opens a case. I escalate it to ebay, they rule in my favor after I offer a persuasive argument (the bastard opened the case in an attempt to say that I misrepresented the size, which he never claimed when he originally messaged me). Can he still leave negative feedback?

Just an update on this, he ended up leaving negative feedback yesterday, changing his story for the 3rd time. In the feedback he said that the item "was not first quality and bad customer service," or something like that. The person can barely speak English - which probably explains how he missed the 3 reminders in my auction to check the measurements. I called eBay, they review the messages between us and the lady says that she can clearly see that the person was lying about the quality issue, because his original claim was that it didn't fit, and his first change of story was when he opened the case and claimed that I misrepresented the item. The lady from eBay goes on and on about how I'm right and he's wrong and how she also runs an eBay business so she understands, but basically says there's nothing they can do. And of course, I can't leave him negative feedback, so there's nothing to warn future sellers about his buyer's dishonesty. What a joke.
post #2012 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Just an update on this, he ended up leaving negative feedback yesterday, changing his story for the 3rd time. In the feedback he said that the item "was not first quality and bad customer service," or something like that. The person can barely speak English - which probably explains how he missed the 3 reminders in my auction to check the measurements. I called eBay, they review the messages between us and the lady says that she can clearly see that the person was lying about the quality issue, because his original claim was that it didn't fit, and his first change of story was when he opened the case and claimed that I misrepresented the item. The lady from eBay goes on and on about how I'm right and he's wrong and how she also runs an eBay business so she understands, but basically says there's nothing they can do. And of course, I can't leave him negative feedback, so there's nothing to warn future sellers about his buyer's dishonesty. What a joke.

Sorry to hear about this mess. eBay may eventually remove the feedback.
post #2013 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Sorry to hear about this mess. eBay may eventually remove the feedback.

I guess my first negative was inevitable. You would think that the feedback system would more accurately represent the transaction, especially when ebay can go through the messages and see who's telling the truth and who is not. I guess it's a lesson learned.
post #2014 of 14453

I had a similar issue this past two weeks. Sold this guy a NWT, unworn Timberland Parka (for $60 with free shipping) on November 26, he received November 28.

 

Then, last Tuesday (1/15/13) I began receiving broken English messages complaining of "closet fragrances" and odors on the parka. He requested a refund, but because I would not refund for an item that he himself described in the Ebay messages correspondence as new with tags, unworn, and in the same condition I sent it to him, and because it had been so long since the sale (49 days since he received the item, which was "no refunds" sale in the first place), I denied the refund request.

 
Buyer then sent a series of messages requesting my address to send the coat back to me, even though I would not issue a refund.  As this makes no sense, I denied this request as well. I kindly suggested he pony up for a dry cleaning (still unclear to me how it picked up odors in the first place, as it was in a space bag in a drawer for a year before I pulled it out and sold it).
 
Buyer then posted negative feedback for me this morning, first time in 9 years of selling I ever received negative feedback. This seems totally ridiculous to me for a $60 sale. I guess I should have just given the guy a refund, but I just couldn't do it on principle. Someone has to take a stand from time to time.
 
So what recourse do I have? I reported the buyer twice for basically bullshit requests and bullshit feedback. I messaged the guy to ask for a revision in feedback, even opened the door for an eventual refund (who the fuck cares about $60 in the long run?). I got a bit pissed and decided I should leave negative feedback for the buyer, but Ebay only allows positive feedback for buyers (wtf is that about? Only sellers deserve negative feedback? What about when buyers are illiterate, moron cheats?). I'm not even a volume seller - maybe 5-10 sales a year, if that (a little heavier last year as a result of a downsizing NY resolution).
 
If anyone else has experienced this, does eBay ever remove negative feedback? Not that it matters much I guess, since this absurd experience has soured me on Ebay selling for the foreseeable future (even more so than their fees, which should have stopped me from selling in the first place...what robbery to send you a bill once a month for 10% of your sales).
post #2015 of 14453
An update to Brianpore, etc.

Got vindicated today! Ebay ruled in my favor. Survived my first snad.

Thnaks for the help guys!
post #2016 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc9 View Post

I had a similar issue this past two weeks. Sold this guy a NWT, unworn Timberland Parka (for $60 with free shipping) on November 26, he received November 28.

Then, last Tuesday (1/15/13) I began receiving broken English messages complaining of "closet fragrances" and odors on the parka. He requested a refund, but because I would not refund for an item that he himself described in the Ebay messages correspondence as new with tags, unworn, and in the same condition I sent it to him, and because it had been so long since the sale (49 days since he received the item, which was "no refunds" sale in the first place), I denied the refund request.

 
Buyer then sent a series of messages requesting my address to send the coat back to me, even though I would not issue a refund.  As this makes no sense, I denied this request as well. I kindly suggested he pony up for a dry cleaning (still unclear to me how it picked up odors in the first place, as it was in a space bag in a drawer for a year before I pulled it out and sold it).
 
Buyer then posted negative feedback for me this morning, first time in 9 years of selling I ever received negative feedback. This seems totally ridiculous to me for a $60 sale. I guess I should have just given the guy a refund, but I just couldn't do it on principle. Someone has to take a stand from time to time.
 
So what recourse do I have? I reported the buyer twice for basically bullshit requests and bullshit feedback. I messaged the guy to ask for a revision in feedback, even opened the door for an eventual refund (who the fuck cares about $60 in the long run?). I got a bit pissed and decided I should leave negative feedback for the buyer, but Ebay only allows positive feedback for buyers (wtf is that about? Only sellers deserve negative feedback? What about when buyers are illiterate, moron cheats?). I'm not even a volume seller - maybe 5-10 sales a year, if that (a little heavier last year as a result of a downsizing NY resolution).
 
If anyone else has experienced this, does eBay ever remove negative feedback? Not that it matters much I guess, since this absurd experience has soured me on Ebay selling for the foreseeable future (even more so than their fees, which should have stopped me from selling in the first place...what robbery to send you a bill once a month for 10% of your sales).


gotta add the user to the blackllist
post #2017 of 14453

Running the numbers - just started keeping track of my main sources, sales, profits, per items etc (including shipping costs, but not eBay & PayPal fees) for January 2013.

 

Turns out, Goodwill (and other thrifts) are still tops insofar as items sold, overall profit, and profit per item.  2nd place is Marshalls / TJ Maxx.  3rd place is my so-called new honey-hole which has been less than fruitful given that it's a 5-hour drive and takes 4+ hours to go through thus not worth the time / gas / miles / etc.

 

Goodwill et al is riskier as it can be hit-or-miss and I still toss out (re-donate) a good number of items due to unseen issues.  But the prices are lowest and have the best ROI for me.

  

Marshalls / TJX is a good hit of you can get something on 2nd or 3rd markdown (yellow tag) and you know what you're buying...and they still have the 30-day return window.  And if you make a major score you can apply for their credit card and get 10% off, plus a $10 gift card for every $100 bought in the future.  Not too shabby.

 

Now for what I thought would be my new honey hole but hasn't panned out that well...  Anyone in the SE USA really should visit; it's worth the trip / detour if you're shopping for yourself, and you might find something flippable to cover gas & lunch.  It's the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama.  40,000 square feet of stuff people lost on the airlines / trains / buses.  And it's not like a thrift store in that people wanted to keep this stuff - they brought it on vacations and business trips - they did not donate it.  It comes into the UBC about 6 months after it was lost, and they generally know what stuff is worth so the prices are far above thrift prices, unless you can find something they're not familiar with.  They get an average of 7,000 new items every day.  An entire case full of iPads, cases full of iPhones, MacBooks, laptops, cameras and DSLRs are in electronics.  Genuine Persian rugs.  And clothes - my god - bring hand lotion because your fingers and hands will literally dry out pawing all the fabrics and flipping labels.  The mens section is about 1/5 the size as womens clothes.  They also have CD's, DVD's, sporting goods, luggage of course, shoes, kids clothes, artwork - you name it.  It's the only place like it in the USA; there are a couple copy-cat stores nearby but the UBC is the real deal.  They donate stuff they deem "unsellable" to the local Goodwill, which I checked out and they're way over-priced compared to a normal Goodwill - $25 sport coats no matter the brand, etc.  The UBC has a 14-day return policy except on discounted items (they regularly mark things down 25%, 50% and 75% off)...but that only matters if you plan to go back in less than 2 weeks.

 

Anyhoo - I'll probably still hit up the UBC on occasion when I feel like a road trip - it's 5 hours round-trip for me, and given that they get 7k items per day I'm not worried about anyone cleaning it out. Don't expect to make any huge scores; but there are deals to be had.

post #2018 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Sorry to hear about this mess. eBay may eventually remove the feedback.


I guess my first negative was inevitable. You would think that the feedback system would more accurately represent the transaction, especially when ebay can go through the messages and see who's telling the truth and who is not. I guess it's a lesson learned.

You can respond to his negative....be to the point and mater of fact. Something like "Buyer changed story 3 times and LOST paypal dispute as item was described correctly" (not sure if thats too long)

 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/respond.html

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

An update to Brianpore, etc.

Got vindicated today! Ebay ruled in my favor. Survived my first snad.

Thnaks for the help guys!

Nice!

post #2019 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc9 View Post

I had a similar issue this past two weeks. Sold this guy a NWT, unworn Timberland Parka (for $60 with free shipping) on November 26, he received November 28.

Then, last Tuesday (1/15/13) I began receiving broken English messages complaining of "closet fragrances" and odors on the parka. He requested a refund, but because I would not refund for an item that he himself described in the Ebay messages correspondence as new with tags, unworn, and in the same condition I sent it to him, and because it had been so long since the sale (49 days since he received the item, which was "no refunds" sale in the first place), I denied the refund request.

 

Im 99% sure feedback can only be left within 45 days. Are you sure?
post #2020 of 14453
Dudes, WTF with people who do BIN and then don't pay? (Yes, I know I should get a store so they can't do that. Just venting)
post #2021 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Dudes, WTF with people who do BIN and then don't pay? (Yes, I know I should get a store so they can't do that. Just venting)

Check this block when you list the item: Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now
post #2022 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Im 99% sure feedback can only be left within 45 days. Are you sure?

Close...feedback can be left up to 60 days after.

 

45 days is the longest you have to open an unpaid case to claim your final value fees in the event of a non-paying bidder.

post #2023 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

You can respond to his negative....be to the point and mater of fact. Something like "Buyer changed story 3 times and LOST paypal dispute as item was described correctly" (not sure if thats too long)

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/respond.html

Nice!

I put something like "ebay ruled in my favor when case was opened, extremely dishonest buyer." I was reading about Spoo's incident regarding the lady who mailed back a box filled with garbage and tried to pass it off as her returning a handbag. Fuck, that would enrage me.
post #2024 of 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post


Check this block when you list the item: Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now

...although that cannot be enforced if you offer items as BINOBO - if they make a best offer, and you accept, they are not required to pay immediately.

post #2025 of 14453
Found this article:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18417&Itemid=8

Seems to discuss exactly what I was talking about a few pages back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions