or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 128

post #1906 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb View Post


That's hilarious. I assume you were bidding as well.

No I just had too much free time at work and went and looked up the listing after the buyer posted the seller's Id.

post #1907 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but a PSA for all you Canuck sellers (and people buying things from Canadian sellers):

 

The nice lady at Canada Post informed me today they are no longer offering coverage up to $100 for items shipped with the Small Packets service. That means your options are either to chance it without insurance, or charge customers for a more expensive service.

 

Apparently, they will be unveiling a new Small Packets service with tracking and insurance in the near future, which presumably will cost somewhere between the existing service and Expedited Parcel. In the meantime, I can almost see my business (my buyers are about 95% from the U.S.) shooting down the drain.

 

Which also leads me to a question: anyone have experience using UPS or FedEx instead of Crappy Post? My recent order from Yoox cost just $15 for UPS shipping and arrived lightning fast, and left me pretty impressed.

I ordered some clothing online on January 9. The UPS transit records show the package arriving yesterday at 10:30 am. Considering where the package was coming from, I felt that may have been a touch long. However, the package never even arrived. So, right now, I am relatively unimpressed, and this was all domestic shipping. I can't attest to international.

post #1908 of 17452
post #1909 of 17452

I stumbled on to those auctions before, and have wondered what "Old Fashioned Service" really means.

 

On the other hand, the whole Uncle thing is kinda creepy.

post #1910 of 17452
What are your guys' thoughts on 5 day auctions? Up to this point I've rigidly stuck to the 7 day auction Sunday to Sunday formula and it has worked. At the moment, I have a backlog of inventory that I would like to cash in on sooner rather than later (for various reasons including school starting, upcoming end of season sales etc) Sticking to this sunday to sunday format is slowing down the quickness of my availability of funds. Have any of you done 5 day auctions? (I'm thinking Wednesday to Sunday) or would it be more profitable to do 7 day auctions that end on weekdays? Either one of those options would solve my problem just curious what you guys think would be more profitable.
post #1911 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken P View Post

What are your guys' thoughts on 5 day auctions? Up to this point I've rigidly stuck to the 7 day auction Sunday to Sunday formula and it has worked. At the moment, I have a backlog of inventory that I would like to cash in on sooner rather than later (for various reasons including school starting, upcoming end of season sales etc) Sticking to this sunday to sunday format is slowing down the quickness of my availability of funds. Have any of you done 5 day auctions? (I'm thinking Wednesday to Sunday) or would it be more profitable to do 7 day auctions that end on weekdays? Either one of those options would solve my problem just curious what you guys think would be more profitable.


Don't do it! Actually, I don't know, I am not as experienced as the othesr here. But from my most recent experience, I ran a 10 day auction prior to my auctions currently running and I received more views and watchers than I ever have, and the items sold for more than I believed. I am running a 7 day auction with similar items now and I barely am breaking double digits on how many views my items are getting and only two items have watchers. puzzled.gif

post #1912 of 17452
Normally, I'd take the time to search the thread, but my auction is almost over and I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

I'm bidding on something on ebay right now, but I know for a fact that the only other bidder is a shell account used by the seller. I can see which bids were withdrawn in the bid list. He bid up to my max bid (60 euros above the initial bid) then withdrew his bids that went past it. It's not a lot of money, and I was already planning on investing that much had there been actual other competition, but his actions really piss me off. Is there anything I can do to rectify this situation? I really want the item, but it irks me that the seller is artificially raising his own auction. I already sent a message to the seller calling him out on it because it's such unethical behavior. Should I just ask him to cancel my bids? That's what someone else suggested I do.
post #1913 of 17452
I would withdraw my bids. Also, (being the vindictive type) I would check other items he has sold and see if the same shell account has been used before in his other sales. If there is a way to report it to eBay and have him banned as a seller go for it. He could probably set up another account immediately, but it would be worth causing him the inconvenience.
post #1914 of 17452
Yes, I used the sock account's history of bidding on his other items as leverage for him to remove his sock bids, as I really do want the item. My immediate concern is that I win my auction fairly, at least. I can figure out the other stuff later foo.gif
post #1915 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tben View Post


Don't do it! Actually, I don't know, I am not as experienced as the othesr here. But from my most recent experience, I ran a 10 day auction prior to my auctions currently running and I received more views and watchers than I ever have, and the items sold for more than I believed. I am running a 7 day auction with similar items now and I barely am breaking double digits on how many views my items are getting and only two items have watchers. puzzled.gif
Lack of exposure ismy biggest concern with the 5 day auctions. Maybe 7 day auctions not ending on Sundays is my answer.
post #1916 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBoy View Post

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but a PSA for all you Canuck sellers (and people buying things from Canadian sellers):

 

The nice lady at Canada Post informed me today they are no longer offering coverage up to $100 for items shipped with the Small Packets service. That means your options are either to chance it without insurance, or charge customers for a more expensive service.

 

Apparently, they will be unveiling a new Small Packets service with tracking and insurance in the near future, which presumably will cost somewhere between the existing service and Expedited Parcel. In the meantime, I can almost see my business (my buyers are about 95% from the U.S.) shooting down the drain.

 

Which also leads me to a question: anyone have experience using UPS or FedEx instead of Crappy Post? My recent order from Yoox cost just $15 for UPS shipping and arrived lightning fast, and left me pretty impressed.


Doesn't it go the other way around too ? I mean Canadian buyers who choose USPS for shipment, will receive throught CanadaPost accross the border...


Edited by stylexchangemtl - 1/23/13 at 10:37am
post #1917 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post

Yes, I used the sock account's history of bidding on his other items as leverage for him to remove his sock bids, as I really do want the item. My immediate concern is that I win my auction fairly, at least. I can figure out the other stuff later foo.gif

In the future, use gixen.

For now, if you feel like dropping to his level, buy it and demand a partial refund claiming snad. Be prepared to return it though.
post #1918 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tben View Post


Don't do it! Actually, I don't know, I am not as experienced as the othesr here. But from my most recent experience, I ran a 10 day auction prior to my auctions currently running and I received more views and watchers than I ever have, and the items sold for more than I believed. I am running a 7 day auction with similar items now and I barely am breaking double digits on how many views my items are getting and only two items have watchers. puzzled.gif

Agreed. 10 day auction starting on Thursday, no reserve, $1 opening bid.
post #1919 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Several of you have mentioned that Registered Mail is your preferred method for international shipping. Do you send it First Class with no extra insurance? Is Registered considered to be about 100% secure no matter where it is sent?

Alright, just ignore the noob, bitches.
post #1920 of 17452
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

In the future, use gixen.

For now, if you feel like dropping to his level, buy it and demand a partial refund claiming snad. Be prepared to return it though.

damn. so i ended up winning the auction, but now i'm conflicted :T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions