or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 116

post #1726 of 14596
The item was sen
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

How was it sent? Priority? If not, it may still be in transit due to holiday delays. Unfortunately, you are screwed unless the buyer is honest and re-pays you when the item arrives. 

It sucks that the ebay/paypal requirement/standard to show proof of delivery is constantly fouled by the incompetence of the USPS. We pay for services such as delivery confirmation and signature confirmation; but many times, by ether laziness or oversight of the carrier, packages go unscanned rendering the added services useless.    
[/
The item was sent registered mail (signed for) and I provided paypal the scan of the receipt and detailed document tracking no etc and yet their expert specialist team still decided in favour of buyer with full refund. What happened to "seller protection"?! I did 100% what I am supposed to do
post #1727 of 14596
Here's a postal service horror story:

In residential areas in my city (in Canada), every couple blocks there is a letter carrier box. It's like a rectangular locker about 4 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep, with a door that swings open. A truck comes around every day and drops a load of mail for the letter carriers to pick up for their rounds. They're currently phasing these out as they move to a new delivery model but they're still in use for a bit longer.

I went out this morning and saw that last night someone had cut a 4"x4" hole on the side, right next to the locking mechanism. Someone had sprung the lock from the inside and then stolen all the mail.

The good news is that every package we're expecting has been delivered; the bad news is I hope no one had a "the cheque is in the mail" letter coming.
post #1728 of 14596

I've been buying from ebay since 02 but sold an item for the first time this month. Sale went well but I'm unclear about one thing:

 

When submitting the listing, ebay calculated my shipping automatically based on the size of the original packaging/box. However, I placed the original package into a larger box to ship along with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc.. For example, if I was selling a pair of shoes, they calculated the size/weight of a standard shoe box.. In the end, shipping cost me double what ebay calculated. I tried to edit this after submitting the listing and before the auction concluded but I couldn't figure out if this was possible? How can I avoid this in the future?

post #1729 of 14596
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I've been buying from ebay since 02 but sold an item for the first time this month. Sale went well but I'm unclear about one thing:

When submitting the listing, ebay calculated my shipping automatically based on the size of the original packaging/box. However, I placed the original package into a larger box to ship along with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc.. For example, if I was selling a pair of shoes, they calculated the size/weight of a standard shoe box.. In the end, shipping cost me double what ebay calculated. I tried to edit this after submitting the listing and before the auction concluded but I couldn't figure out if this was possible? How can I avoid this in the future?

You gave them the size of an inner box which you then put inside a larger box along with more packaging material? Even then, a doubling of the cost doesn't sound accurate.

I suggest that you weigh and measure the entire package when you list the item.
post #1730 of 14596
Should I offer free shipping in order to regain my "top seller status" or charge for shipping and give up "top seller status" advantages?
What do you guys think?
FYI, in the past 90 days i've sold 163 items, $42 average sale. In my latest ebay review i had really high ratings in every other category besides shipping charges.
post #1731 of 14596
You don't need free shipping to be a top rated seller.
post #1732 of 14596

+1, the only thing Free Shipping gets you is better listing placement in buyer searches, which in my opinion is worth it. I just adjusted my starting bid to allow for the shipping ($9 average in the US for suits and shoes). International shipping is not one of my free options.  

 

So were you overcharging for shipping, or charging the accurate amount? 

post #1733 of 14596
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1, the only thing Free Shipping gets you is better listing placement in buyer searches, which in my opinion is worth it. I just adjusted my starting bid to allow for the shipping ($9 average in the US for suits and shoes). International shipping is not one of my free options.  

 

So were you overcharging for shipping, or charging the accurate amount? 

 

I've gone to all free shipping except for some really small cheap stuff. I figure it just makes life easier for the buyer and its another selling point + they cant leave a bad star rating for the shipping cost b/c they feel like being an idiot. The less things they can leave ratings for IMO the better.

post #1734 of 14596
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1, the only thing Free Shipping gets you is better listing placement in buyer searches, which in my opinion is worth it. I just adjusted my starting bid to allow for the shipping ($9 average in the US for suits and shoes). International shipping is not one of my free options.  

So were you overcharging for shipping, or charging the accurate amount? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

I've gone to all free shipping except for some really small cheap stuff. I figure it just makes life easier for the buyer and its another selling point + they cant leave a bad star rating for the shipping cost b/c they feel like being an idiot. The less things they can leave ratings for IMO the better.

I do overcharge $0.10 - $2 extra per item. The extra is my handling, I ship items the day payment arrives, I work for that extra. I have considered just adding shipping costs to my starting bid. However, I like charging for insured priority. I use only the packing materials provided by USPS, everything's insured, things arrive quickly. should I consider first class and buy packing materials? I am at the point where taking that shipping costs rating away from buyers would be to my advantage. I want my top rated seller status back.

As a buyer (I buy way too much) I wouldn't leave low shipping ratings on a transaction I AGREED to participate in.

A third option would be to add $2 to my starting bids and charge less for shipping.
post #1735 of 14596
I also wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for your input. My wife is a good listener but she doesn't do what we do and can't really help me.
post #1736 of 14596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1, the only thing Free Shipping gets you is better listing placement in buyer searches, which in my opinion is worth it. I just adjusted my starting bid to allow for the shipping ($9 average in the US for suits and shoes). International shipping is not one of my free options.  

So were you overcharging for shipping, or charging the accurate amount?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

I've gone to all free shipping except for some really small cheap stuff. I figure it just makes life easier for the buyer and its another selling point + they cant leave a bad star rating for the shipping cost b/c they feel like being an idiot. The less things they can leave ratings for IMO the better.

I do overcharge $0.10 - $2 extra per item. The extra is my handling, I ship items the day payment arrives, I work for that extra. I have considered just adding shipping costs to my starting bid. However, I like charging for insured priority. I use only the packing materials provided by USPS, everything's insured, things arrive quickly. should I consider first class and buy packing materials? I am at the point where taking that shipping costs rating away from buyers would be to my advantage. I want my top rated seller status back.

As a buyer (I buy way too much) I wouldn't leave low shipping ratings on a transaction I AGREED to participate in.

A third option would be to add $2 to my starting bids and charge less for shipping.

I offer free standard shipping and then another 5-10 for priority shipping. The only thing you really need are the white poly bags for shirt and things under 13 ounces. Everything else goes priority mail anyway as thats the only real way to ship it. Make sure to get some regional rate boxes also (need to order them on USPS.com).

 

The only reason I lost my Top Rate Seller was due to the stupid low ratings for cost of shipping so I went to all free shipping with the option for them to "upgrade" to fasting shipping for a few bucks. Win-win PLUS you dont get hit with the stupid ebay shipping fee on the upgraded priority shipping if you offer a free shipping option. This works REALLY REALLY well when you offer free domestic shipping and then you charge 20-50 for international shipping depending on weight/country. You dont get hit with the fee on the international shipping where you normally would if you didnt offer free shipping to start with teacha.gif

 

Last but not least, I do BIN OBO (not real auctions) so I can factor in to the price I accept how much the shipping is going to cost, and on all counter-offers I always make a note the free shipping is included.

post #1737 of 14596

Had a very pleasingly interesting experience today. Person negotiated with me on OBO and we agreed on a price. Buyer paid promptly and then immediately left positive feedback. Wait... what? Fairly new buyer and I may have to give him a heads up about not doing that in the future until he actually receives items. Pretty funny though to see his positive feedback mentioning my great service that has yet to commence. Anyone ever see that before?

post #1738 of 14596

PRO TIP(S):

 

Hey all. With the new year upon us, it is the perfect time to do a little housekeeping to protect your self.

 

#1.  The easiest way to do this is by changing your Paypal and eBay passwords regularly. I typically do mine twice a year. Make sure they are two different passwords, and also that they are different than your yahoo, gmail, etc password.

 

About two years ago I was the victim of a Paypal account breach. The hacker used an iPhone to transfer $2500 to himself from my account. Paypal recognized it as fraud immediately and locked my account, but not before some frustration causing damage was done. See, I didn't have $2500 in my PayPal account, so a draft was automatically initiated from the bank account associated with my account. Once the draft is started, it can not be reversed by PayPal or the bank and has to run it's course. Unfortunately, I did not have $2500 in my bank account either so a series of overdrafts ensued. My bank was kind enough to front me the $2500 until the lengthy process was complete. It complicated my transactions both selling and shipping until it was cleared up, which took 4 weeks.

 

#2.  Make sure you have a designated ebay bank account linked to your Paypal.

 

At the time of the hack, I had only one bank account, which I used for everything, including paying the mortgage. If the bank had not fronted me the $2500, I would have missed 2 of my bi-weekly mortgage payments, as well as numerous other bill payments. 

 

By simply changing your passwords regularly, you can help minimize the chances of this happening to you. I know we all hate PayPal and their egregious fees, but I greatly appreciate the fraud service they provided when I needed it.

post #1739 of 14596
I sold a Burberry trench coat, buyer messages me and says the coat is very nice but it doesn't fit him, and he doesn't want to spend the money to have it altered. I tell him that I'm very sorry it doesn't fit, but I do not accept returns for sizing, and I inform him that the auction had several reminders to look at the measurements and terms before purchasing. In the same message I offer him a discount on a trench coat that I plan to list tomorrow because it's a bit smaller and probably a better fit.

He never responds, and immediately opens a case. I escalate it to ebay, they rule in my favor after I offer a persuasive argument (the bastard opened the case in an attempt to say that I misrepresented the size, which he never claimed when he originally messaged me). Can he still leave negative feedback?
post #1740 of 14596
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I sold a Burberry trench coat, buyer messages me and says the coat is very nice but it doesn't fit him, and he doesn't want to spend the money to have it altered. I tell him that I'm very sorry it doesn't fit, but I do not accept returns for sizing, and I inform him that the auction had several reminders to look at the measurements and terms before purchasing. In the same message I offer him a discount on a trench coat that I plan to list tomorrow because it's a bit smaller and probably a better fit.
He never responds, and immediately opens a case. I escalate it to ebay, they rule in my favor after I offer a persuasive argument (the bastard opened the case in an attempt to say that I misrepresented the size, which he never claimed when he originally messaged me). Can he still leave negative feedback?

Yes.

What was your persuasive argument?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions