or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 2

post #16 of 17491
Do you need to buy the brown tape yourself or do they do that?

What's the best way to deliver digital goods (gift card code)?

*edit* Any why did ebay have to upgrade their listing page right as I was making listing ffffuuuu.gif It's back now...
post #17 of 17491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

What's the best way to deliver digital goods (gift card code)?

*edit* Any why did ebay have to upgrade their listing page right as I was making listing ffffuuuu.gif It's back now...

I've never sold digital goods, but it's a really good questions. Would it be best to send the gift card code through Paypal's message service? I don't know if that adds any protection, but it might make a better case if the buyer were to open a dispute.
post #18 of 17491
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I've never sold digital goods, but it's a really good questions. Would it be best to send the gift card code through Paypal's message service? I don't know if that adds any protection, but it might make a better case if the buyer were to open a dispute.

Well it is my understanding that a buyer cannot open a SNAD case for "intangible" goods, only an item not received. So I would think using either ebay or paypal message service would be safest to prove delivery since you can't prove you sent an email to someone. Will let the experts weigh in smile.gif

Also minor gripe. I put a shirt up with $5 starting bid and it sold for that. Guy relists it for way more. Whatever, don't really care about that, it wasn't a nice shirt and that's just the way it goes. What bothers me is I just looked and he never leaves feedback as a buyer, only as a seller... very selfish. if you're going to make a buck off me at least give me feedback frown.gif

Already enjoying this thread. I have so much pent up ebay aggression and woes shog[1].gif

Another question... when do you guys typically leave feedback? Immediately or try to time it with item delivery? I used to wait a few days but recently just did it all immediately. I've noticed a much lower feedback reciprocation rate.

Why do you sometimes see multiple consecutive bids from the same buyer for the same amount?
post #19 of 17491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Well it is my understanding that a buyer cannot open a SNAD case for "intangible" goods, only an item not received. So I would think using either ebay or paypal message service would be safest to prove delivery since you can't prove you sent an email to someone. Will let the experts weigh in smile.gif

That makes sense. I suppose if they offered the same protection that they offer physical goods, it would be a playground for scammers. Surely someone sells digital stuff and can hopefully weigh in on it.
post #20 of 17491
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I've never sold digital goods, but it's a really good questions. Would it be best to send the gift card code through Paypal's message service? I don't know if that adds any protection, but it might make a better case if the buyer were to open a dispute.

Another question... when do you guys typically leave feedback? Immediately or try to time it with item delivery? I used to wait a few days but recently just did it all immediately. I've noticed a much lower feedback reciprocation rate.

Why do you sometimes see multiple consecutive bids from the same buyer for the same amount?

Leave feedback as a seller when the buyer pays. Have a standard "Fast Payment, Thanks" or something along those lines. Maybe I should hold off a little longer as only about 50% of my buyers leave feedback. Obviously as a buyer I wait till I'm happy with the item.

 

You see multiple consecutive bids, because the bidder bid, multiple consecutive times. The price of the auction won't go up but for instance, say you start at $1. Bidder #1 bids $1, then goes oh I really like this, I should have bid $5, thats bid number #2, then a few days pass and he's like..shoot, I'm leaving for the weekend and someone may bid more then me, he bids $50, thats bid number #3. Each time you see a consecutive bid from a buyer, you know he entered a higher amount. It gets me when I my auction end (not that I run a lot of auctions) with consecutive bids from the same buyer, as you know he would have paid more then the item sold for, but no one else bid to push the price up.

 

ALSO, you may see this if you have a reserve. Same as above but he is trying to hit your reserve....makes no sense to me really to do this, but thats the idea.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Do you need to buy the brown tape yourself or do they do that?

What's the best way to deliver digital goods (gift card code)?

*edit* Any why did ebay have to upgrade their listing page right as I was making listing ffffuuuu.gif It's back now...

Brown tape is free, but you need to do it at the counter. If you do a lot maybe they will give you a roll, but I've never asked as I do only a few.

post #21 of 17491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post


Another question... when do you guys typically leave feedback? Immediately or try to time it with item delivery? I used to wait a few days but recently just did it all immediately. I've noticed a much lower feedback reciprocation rate.
Why do you sometimes see multiple consecutive bids from the same buyer for the same amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Leave feedback as a seller when the buyer pays. Have a standard "Fast Payment, Thanks" or something along those lines. Maybe I should hold off a little longer as only about 50% of my buyers leave feedback. Obviously as a buyer I wait till I'm happy with the item.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You see multiple consecutive bids, because the bidder bid, multiple consecutive times. The price of the auction won't go up but for instance, say you start at $1. Bidder #1 bids $1, then goes oh I really like this, I should have bid $5, thats bid number #2, then a few days pass and he's like..shoot, I'm leaving for the weekend and someone may bid more then me, he bids $50, thats bid number #3. Each time you see a consecutive bid from a buyer, you know he entered a higher amount. It gets me when I my auction end (not that I run a lot of auctions) with consecutive bids from the same buyer, as you know he would have paid more then the item sold for, but no one else bid to push the price up.

ALSO, you may see this if you have a reserve. Same as above but he is trying to hit your reserve....makes no sense to me really to do this, but thats the idea.

Brian said exactly what I was going to say re multiple bids from the same bidder.

As far as feedback, I don't know either...I've tried several ways. I was always worried (as a seller) that I would leave positive feedback and then the buyer would leave me negative feedback. Not that I could leave negative feedback for the buyer (anymore), but it would bother me to leave something positive when they left negative. However, I found that very few would leave feedback if I took too long. Their purchase becomes a distant memory.

Now, I generally leave feedback as soon as a payment is received. I have an abysmal return rate of feedback, but I found that if I send someone a quick message along the lines of

"I just wondered if you received the ______ and if it worked out for you. If you have questions or comments about it, please let me know and if you're happy with it, I always appreciate feedback!"

gets me a positive comment most of the time. It probably invites people to leave negative feedback if they weren't happy, but it has yet to happen.

I also leave more detailed feedback. I figure it helps other buyers and sellers to know that I left feedback about the purchase and not just generic feedback. I read the buyers history if I haven't received payment or they have weird questions. Personalized feedback gives me a bit of insight as to whether they're legit.

All of this, though, comes from someone that does fewer than 30 sales/month. Someone with considerably more might not have the time to send messages and leaving personal feedback and that's understandable.
post #22 of 17491
If you set up your eBay selling account as a store - I *think* that you can automate the leaving of feedback for buyers once they have paid for the item.

My buyer requirements are set as follows:

You can access this in Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements

- Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 12 month(s)
- Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
- Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
- Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
- Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower

Important inclusions are these:

Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
This may block new users so beware. I ended up activating this option because of someone who wrecked all of my auctions a year or so back. It's *very* effective and doesn't seem to have a negative impact on sales.

Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
This will stop any auction wreckers from ruining all of your sales at the very last minute.

A note on postage
At the moment I have Italy set up as a country that I don't post to. This was set up because 3 - 4 years ago the postal service in Italy was abysmal. I lost probably around 10% of parcels that I was sending there. Recently however, I have relaxed this (especially on my online shop) and feel that this is probably a little unfair.

The countries that Spoo outlined are indeed usually quite slow but I would say that I rarely lose anything.

I would say that if you have a buyer in any of those problem countries - it's a good idea to drop them a mail to let them know that postage may take a little longer than expected.

It's also good policy to tell them that most tracking services list a parcel as received (at source) and then are not updated until they are out for post in the target country.

Personally after a nightmarish few months I am considering knocking eBay on the head and dusting off the old software developing hat again but YMMV.
post #23 of 17491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Only at the counter. You need to seal the package/box with special brown tape and they stamp all the edges of the brown tape so the contents of the package can not be messed with. The package supposedly gets put into a special bag for transportation and is signed off every step of the way. I have been told by the postman on multiple occasions that this is the most secure way to ship a package though the post office. It costs about $12 additional to any postage.

 

Below it says signature is not required, but you need to check a box that says "signature not required" otherwise they require a signature.

 

General Info from the USPS Website on Registerd Mail (Click to show)

 

General Information

Registered Mail™ (International) is a service that allows you to register your international mail for additional protection and security.  Features of this service include:

  • A mailing receipt is issued by office of mailing, and a record of delivery is maintained at the office of destination (the recipient's signature is not required)
  • Registered Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt, and upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered, or that an attempt at delivery was made
  • Registered Mail is handled separately from all other mail, and records are kept by registry number
  • Return receipts and Restricted Delivery may be added. (Check for availability by Calculating Postage)
  • Padded envelopes are accepted for International Registered Mail items.
Notes:

 

Availability

  • International Registered Mail service is available for:
    • Priority Mail® International Flat Rate Envelopes, including free matter for the blind
    • Priority Mail® International Small Flat Rate Boxes, including free matter for the blind
    • First Class® Mail International items, including free matter for the blind
      • Includes Postcards or postal cards
  • International Registered Mail  service is NOT available for
    • M-bags
    • Priority Mail® International parcels
    • Global Express Guaranteed®
    • Express Mail International®

 

Fees

The price for Registered Mail (International) includes a base fee (without insurance) in addition to postage, plus additional amounts for insurance, if selected (insurance prices increase based on valuation).  For detailed information on prices, go to https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm and click on “International.”

 

Tracking Registered Mail (International)

Registered Mail cannot be tracked through the mailstream and will not provide updated scans.  However, it does provide delivery information with a delivery scan showing the delivery status or attempted delivery information which can be retrieved in three ways:

  • By going to http://www.usps.com and selecting “Track and Confirm.”  Entering the Article Number shown on the mailing receipt into the lookup field allows you to view the delivery status of the article.
  • By calling the Postal Service™ Track and Confirm service at 1-800-222-1811
  • By bulk electronic file transfer for mailers who provide an electronic manifest to the United States Postal Service®

 

Thanks! I will try it on my next international shipment.

post #24 of 17491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post

If you set up your eBay selling account as a store - MalfordOfLondon's Helpful Adivce (Click to show)
I *think* that you can automate the leaving of feedback for buyers once they have paid for the item.
My buyer requirements are set as follows:
You can access this in Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements
- Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 12 month(s)
- Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
- Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
- Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
- Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
Important inclusions are these:
Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
This may block new users so beware. I ended up activating this option because of someone who wrecked all of my auctions a year or so back. It's *very* effective and doesn't seem to have a negative impact on sales.
Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
This will stop any auction wreckers from ruining all of your sales at the very last minute.
A note on postage
At the moment I have Italy set up as a country that I don't post to. This was set up because 3 - 4 years ago the postal service in Italy was abysmal. I lost probably around 10% of parcels that I was sending there. Recently however, I have relaxed this (especially on my online shop) and feel that this is probably a little unfair.
The countries that Spoo outlined are indeed usually quite slow but I would say that I rarely lose anything.
I would say that if you have a buyer in any of those problem countries - it's a good idea to drop them a mail to let them know that postage may take a little longer than expected.
It's also good policy to tell them that most tracking services list a parcel as received (at source) and then are not updated until they are out for post in the target country.
Personally after a nightmarish few months I am considering knocking eBay on the head and dusting off the old software developing hat again but YMMV.


Thank you for this info...truly helpful, especially the bit in reference to whom you ship.
post #25 of 17491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post

If you set up your eBay selling account as a store - I *think* that you can automate the leaving of feedback for buyers once they have paid for the item.
My buyer requirements are set as follows:
You can access this in Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements
- Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 12 month(s)
- Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
- Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
- Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
- Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
Important inclusions are these:
Have a Feedback score of 5 or lower and no credit card on file
This may block new users so beware. I ended up activating this option because of someone who wrecked all of my auctions a year or so back. It's *very* effective and doesn't seem to have a negative impact on sales.
Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
This will stop any auction wreckers from ruining all of your sales at the very last minute.
A note on postage
At the moment I have Italy set up as a country that I don't post to. This was set up because 3 - 4 years ago the postal service in Italy was abysmal. I lost probably around 10% of parcels that I was sending there. Recently however, I have relaxed this (especially on my online shop) and feel that this is probably a little unfair.
The countries that Spoo outlined are indeed usually quite slow but I would say that I rarely lose anything.
I would say that if you have a buyer in any of those problem countries - it's a good idea to drop them a mail to let them know that postage may take a little longer than expected.
It's also good policy to tell them that most tracking services list a parcel as received (at source) and then are not updated until they are out for post in the target country.
Personally after a nightmarish few months I am considering knocking eBay on the head and dusting off the old software developing hat again but YMMV.

I also block anyone that does not have a PayPal account. IMO that is the base line of being a qualified eBay buyer. 

 

In reality very few packages are actually "lost", since there is duty on almost every package not marked as a gift. Since there is money involved, my guess is that these international shipments are actually tracked better than we would think. I do believe that many packages are never picked up / delivered due to the buyer not wanting to pay the duty. Then the package is fair game to be stolen. In fairness, I have received a package returned for that exact reason from Spain. Another process that can slow down delivery is the hold that customs and security puts on items. I have have items held in customs in Australia for four weeks! Ebay allowed the buyer to open a "did not receive case"  while the tracking information showed that it was in customs and refunded the customers payment. A week later the tracking information showed that the item had been delivered. I appealed and lost.    

post #26 of 17491

This by far is the best way to deal with problem buyers. There is also a thread that will allow you to share blocked bidders from other SF members. Highly recommend; 

 

From ebay customer support; 

 

Blocking bidders and buyers

If you don't want to sell to certain members, you can put their user IDs on your blocked list. Members on the list can't bid on any of your listings until you remove them from the list. You can block up to 5,000 user IDs. By default, these members also won't be able to contact you about your listings, but you can change this setting by following the instructions in the Setting up buying requirements section below.
Note: You can choose not to allow blocked buyers to contact you. Blocked buyers will still be able to contact you about existing transactions, unless you add them to your blocked list.
post #27 of 17491

Hey guys...I must have missed the inauguration of this thread, but only by a few days. I am happy to be a part of it, to help out with questions....and maybe learn something too. 

post #28 of 17491

Just throwing this out there....this is the kind of thread that should get a STICKY!!! or be put on the main page so that newbies dont ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over...you get the point.

post #29 of 17491

Great thread idea.

 

I come with a question:

 

I sold an item for basically nothing. Buyer complains of a flaw I was not aware of. I ask for photographic evidence of said flaw, buyer says he is not able to (due to lack of IT ability; an excuse which I have reason to doubt). I nevertheless agree to refund if he returned the item. He says he has sent it back. A week has elapsed and I haven't received it, making it 90% certain that it will never arrive (assuming it was indeed posted in the first place).

 

What should I do?

 

I could just refund to save myself from the possibility of negative feedback, especially considering we're talking <£5. Such a low price and the buyer's (limited) good feedback makes me believe it can't be some kind of scam.

 

However, this just feels so wrong on principle.  

post #30 of 17491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettison View Post

Great thread idea.

 

I come with a question:

 

I sold an item for basically nothing. Buyer complains of a flaw I was not aware of. I ask for photographic evidence of said flaw, buyer says he is not able to (due to lack of IT ability; an excuse which I have reason to doubt). I nevertheless agree to refund if he returned the item. He says he has sent it back. A week has elapsed and I haven't received it, making it 90% certain that it will never arrive (assuming it was indeed posted in the first place).

 

What should I do?

 

I could just refund to save myself from the possibility of negative feedback, especially considering we're talking <£5. Such a low price and the buyer's (limited) good feedback makes me believe it can't be some kind of scam.

 

However, this just feels so wrong on principle.  

First, call ebay. They are very helpful and will tell you the best way to handle it (this is always my first suggestion)

 

Second, the buyer needs to prove they shipped it back (tracking) just the same way you proved you shipped it to them (tracking). If he does not have proof of shipping it back then you will win (99% sure) you claim with ebay if you really go that way, but as you said it is over such small peanuts of money that it's prob best to cut your losses and just refund him the money.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions