or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 81

post #1201 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

A lot of folks might already know this, but I was stunned to learn that eBay doesn't boot non-paying buyers. Heard from a guy today who got stiffed a couple weeks ago by the same buyer who won't pay me. He says that he notified eBay and also was able to put in feedback--the icon is green as if it is positive, and it counts as positive, but you can write anything you want, which in this case was "Beware, he didn't pay me." Any rate, this guy says that beyond blocking the guy, he has also set it up to block all bids from buyers who haven't paid twice or more. Huh? How many times can buyers refuse to pay before eBay does anything?

Buyer can have that removed if he asks.

Setting up to block buyers with two unpaid items is the strictest policy you can set.
post #1202 of 18139
Plus, screening specific individuals.

I can't recall who manages the informal list here.

My non-payer who I wrote about yesterday has now sent me a more than 2-word email saying; "but I can pay paypal"

He is now BLOCKED.

As I tell my kids, past behaviour is the best predictor of future bahaviour.
post #1203 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

Plus, screening specific individuals.
I can't recall who manages the informal list here.
My non-payer who I wrote about yesterday has now sent me a more than 2-word email saying; "but I can pay paypal"
He is now BLOCKED.
As I tell my kids, past behaviour is the best predictor of future bahaviour.


I have an item that I am convinced is perpetually cursed. I found a GIANT 4XB Polo shirt big pony at marshalls for 10 bucks NWT. (I thought that big pony was popular...). It has since sold twice at a decent price point and both times the buyer (different each time) failed to pay but promised to pay later.

 

This week the message was:

"I can pay in a week, please give me one week"

 

One week later...

"I can pay next week when I get my unemployment check."

 

BLOCKED. I am all for people giving me their money, but damn... living WAY beyond your means is an understatement with some of these folks.

post #1204 of 18139
post #1205 of 18139

Man, why haven't I been reading this thread?

 

 

OK, so this is more of a me problem than an ebay problem. Who else has no patience and compulsively checks their listings every 10 minutes while pretending to work? Is this just a symptom of me being a relatively new ebayer, a curse that will lift in good time?

 

I can't help yelling at the computer screen, "143 views? 14 watchers? BID ALREADY!"

 

And this market-value, auctions starting at a low price point only, approach to selling scares the hell out of me.

post #1206 of 18139
I used to check my listings compulsively. Not so much anymore, set it and forget it until the last few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

And this market-value, auctions starting at a low price point only, approach to selling scares the hell out of me.

Only do that for items that will draw a ton of traffic (i.e. Robert Graham). Anything else, you might as well just give it away.*


* Or be Spoo.
post #1207 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

I used to check my listings compulsively. Not so much anymore, set it and forget it until the last few minutes.
Only do that for items that will draw a ton of traffic (i.e. Robert Graham). Anything else, you might as well just give it away.*
* Or be Spoo.

 

 

Silly me, I thought a Barbera sportcoat and a women's burberry london trench would generate a ton of traffic ... and they have -- just very few bids.

post #1208 of 18139
People will always almost wait until the last minute to start bidding regardless. Sometimes it jumps up a ton, sometimes not confused.gif

Another problem I find, is that I believe a lot of the watchers are just people hoping that no one else is watching and they will drop off as soon as the item gets bid.
post #1209 of 18139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

Man, why haven't I been reading this thread?


OK, so this is more of a me problem than an ebay problem. Who else has no patience and compulsively checks their listings every 10 minutes while pretending to work? Is this just a symptom of me being a relatively new ebayer, a curse that will lift in good time?

I can't help yelling at the computer screen, "143 views? 14 watchers? BID ALREADY!"

And this market-value, auctions starting at a low price point only, approach to selling scares the hell out of me.

I do the same, check on things to see if I have bids, watch views and watcher-count. I have been mixing it up with BIN/OBO, higher opening bid and starting something at a low price. I don't list a huge amount, so it's taking awhile to see exactly what works. Personally, I've found that starting something at a reasonable opening bid works the best. I'm happy if it goes at the opening bid and don't sweat it if I don't have a lot of views. If it goes for much more than the opening bid, I'm surprised and happy.

I will list nice items at a high BIN/OBO and see what happens. If I don't receive any offers, I change it to an auction format and find that the added pressure of an auction forces more action/bids.
post #1210 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

Man, why haven't I been reading this thread?

 

 

OK, so this is more of a me problem than an ebay problem. Who else has no patience and compulsively checks their listings every 10 minutes while pretending to work? Is this just a symptom of me being a relatively new ebayer, a curse that will lift in good time?

 

I can't help yelling at the computer screen, "143 views? 14 watchers? BID ALREADY!"

 

And this market-value, auctions starting at a low price point only, approach to selling scares the hell out of me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post


I do the same, check on things to see if I have bids, watch views and watcher-count. I have been mixing it up with BIN/OBO, higher opening bid and starting something at a low price. I don't list a huge amount, so it's taking awhile to see exactly what works. Personally, I've found that starting something at a reasonable opening bid works the best. I'm happy if it goes at the opening bid and don't sweat it if I don't have a lot of views. If it goes for much more than the opening bid, I'm surprised and happy.
I will list nice items at a high BIN/OBO and see what happens. If I don't receive any offers, I change it to an auction format and find that the added pressure of an auction forces more action/bids.

Set your smart phone app to notify you when you get a bid, then you don't have to check all the time. If you don't have a smart phone, there is an ebay application that will send you a text message instead. If you don't have a phone at all, there may be an ebay application coming out soon that will mail you a letter via snail mail to let you know you have bids...

post #1211 of 18139
I'm looking to do a trade with a fellow SFer in Canada (I'm in the U.S.). I have done the print a label at home and use the USPS pick up. Works great.

Can I do this for a Canada shipment? Or, do I have to go to the post office, stand in line, fill out a customs form or some other paperwork. I would like to avoid going to the Post office since the lines are always long and I am usually pressed for time. Thanks.
post #1212 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

I'm looking to do a trade with a fellow SFer in Canada (I'm in the U.S.). I have done the print a label at home and use the USPS pick up. Works great.
Can I do this for a Canada shipment? Or, do I have to go to the post office, stand in line, fill out a customs form or some other paperwork. I would like to avoid going to the Post office since the lines are always long and I am usually pressed for time. Thanks.

Yes, I do it all the time. Pick up is free for Priority, International, and Return Packages. The customs form is autogenerated and auto stamped with a date stamp.  You will however need to swing in and pick up a clear self adhesive customs envelope /sleeve to put the 3 forms in once they print and sign them....you keep the fourth for your records.  The envelopes can be ordered online for free in lots of 50...so you can have them handy for next time.

post #1213 of 18139
Thanks, Wes. fing02[1].gif For a sub 3 lb box, I'm getting around $10 for 1st class. And, International Priority goes for $30. I guess 1st class I have to walk it to the clerks. decisions....
post #1214 of 18139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

Thanks, Wes. fing02[1].gif For a sub 3 lb box, I'm getting around $10 for 1st class. And, International Priority goes for $30. I guess 1st class I have to walk it to the clerks. decisions....

Nope it can be picked up.....I should have worded that in reverse order. Any International packages, domestic Priority / Express packages, or Return packages qualify for pick up.

post #1215 of 18139
After returning the point-and-shoot I bought that turned out to yield photos arguably no better than my iphone, I'm looking at the Nikon D3200. I think it's a pretty safe bet in terms of getting what I want, but I'll ask anyway if someone here has this camera?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions