or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 79

post #1171 of 15863
A couple questions:

1. When listing a SC or shirt , any thoughts on using as the main photo a shot of the entire item, maybe on a mannequin, versus a close up of the material, especially if its got a pattern or texture? When doing SCs I've flirted with showing a tight shot of the lapel notch area on the chest or even a close up of the cuffs. See pics. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
file-1104.jpg
file-202.jpg


2. I'm trying to settle on a BIN price point for RG shirts. I usually set it at $99 and someone once hit it in the first 12 hours but that's never happened again. Anyone had any luck at any other price points?
post #1172 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh View Post

A couple questions:
2. I'm trying to settle on a BIN price point for RG shirts. I usually set it at $99 and someone once hit it in the first 12 hours but that's never happened again. Anyone had any luck at any other price points?

I had a $49.99 BIN but that may have been lucky. Only sold one RG so I don't know that may have been too low but it was a great margin for me so YMMV.

I just got a request for a return from a bidder who says:

"Hi, I got the coat on Friday. I'm sorry to say this but it's not anywhere close to size XS as stated in the auction. It fits more like a medium to large coat to me and I cannot wear it. I'd like to return it for a full refund, please. Thanks."

I clearly state no returns, and my description of the item only said "Tagged size is XS" and I had a photo to that effect.

Obviously in a just world I am in the right and he is in the wrong but I'm assuming I have no choice here but to accept his return or risk eBay making me do so and taking the negative feedback? I'm not in a hurry to take the coat back as I paid more than I should have and was just relieved that someone bought it.
post #1173 of 15863
^ Take the return, and lesson learned to add measurements, especially on preowned goods.
post #1174 of 15863
I was including measurements up until my last batch which this was a part of - there was some discussion in this thread a few pages back regarding not putting in measurements to avoid returns from a buyer claiming an inaccurate measurement but that obviously didn't work so well. My next strategy is to post photos of how all measurements are taken? Does that work and provide some extra coverage?
post #1175 of 15863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

I was including measurements up until my last batch which this was a part of - there was some discussion in this thread a few pages back regarding not putting in measurements to avoid returns from a buyer claiming an inaccurate measurement but that obviously didn't work so well. My next strategy is to post photos of how all measurements are taken? Does that work and provide some extra coverage?

I would just guess that due to the system, it will be hard to cover yourself in all scenarios. If someone is determined to get PayPal to side with them, they'll find a way. It always leans towards the buyer which, as a buyer and seller, I can understand. I would suggest giving the tagged size, taking accurate measurements, describe how you came to them and hope for the best. If you're lucky, your returns will be few and far between and you can accept them as part of the business/platform.

I sell on eBay.de and by EU law, we put a short description at the end of the auction that states that it is a private sale and there are no guarantees. I don't sell very much compared to most of the others here, but I'd accept a return if necessary as long as I could get the buyer to pay return shipping. If it's sincerely my fault, I'll pay for return shipping.
post #1176 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

I was including measurements up until my last batch which this was a part of - there was some discussion in this thread a few pages back regarding not putting in measurements to avoid returns from a buyer claiming an inaccurate measurement but that obviously didn't work so well. My next strategy is to post photos of how all measurements are taken? Does that work and provide some extra coverage?

In your example of the tagged XS, I think the buyer has a reasonable expectation of receiving an item at least in the ballpark of XS.

Paypal will force a refund. That is the cost of doing business on ebay. Don't expect Paypal to launch an investigation to determine whether you are getting jerked around. Put the guy on your blocked bidder list and move on.

In my experience, it is best to include plenty of measurements in the description. If you don't, you will be bombarded with measurement requests.
post #1177 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Does that work and provide some extra coverage?

What is this extra coverage you speak of? lol8[1].gif Paypal owns you now.
post #1178 of 15863

I am wondering if this is a "creative" or "sleezy" idea in dealing with buyers that clearly want out of the deal and return an item but hold it ransom until you ALSO pay the return shipping despite the clear policy stated in the listing. I haven't had to use it, perhaps because I include so many disclaimers that may help in scaring people away but I have always considered it.

 

Backstory to how I got the idea:

I had a guy (read...JERK) want to return a shirt because he said it did not fit. I did some investigating and had to chuckle. I listed the shirt as a medium (the correlating size to the "number" size on the shirt according to the maker). His previous purchases on eBay were all for L or XL clothing. He requested a return, very upset that it did not fit, and demanded I pay him to ship it back. Obviously eBay only allows full refund but the buyer has to pay return shipping. Being the kind soul that I am, I gifted him the additional cash to ship the shirt back even after he filed a claim against me and won.

 

My thoughts:

 

I am thinking...if a buyer demands a refund + payment for return shipping, and you "agree" through messages, do you have to follow through with the second part? It would seem to me that they would send the item back, you would send full refund and then they would complain they did not get the costs for return shipping. They would file with eBay, who would see the terms of the sale as "buyer pays return shipping" and close the case on them, right? Obviously it is a false promise to them to relinquish the good back, but it does so to have them fulfill the bargain they agreed to at the outset.

post #1179 of 15863
Sorry if this has been covered before, but here goes.

Buyer backed out within an hour of winning auction. I checked his feedback and a seller less than three weeks ago wrote (quite cleverly, I thought, by giving a positive rating, then telling what really happened in comments) that he, too, got stiffed. Below is the exchange we had (notice how his English suddenly became flawless).

It's not the money here so much as the principle, and it doesn't help that I've been waiting for three weeks to get paid from a buyer who took her sweet time responding to messages before finally getting in touch and promising to make things right.

My question is: Is it OK so far as eBay is concerned to demand payment as a condition for not reporting bad behavior without sending the goods? I told the guy I wouldn't report him if he paid for the jacket, and I'm happy to send it if he pays shipping charges to freakin' Russia. First time I've had a bad experience with an overseas buyer.

Dear wolverine83-ru,

OK, here is what is going to happen.

I will give you 24 hours to pay me. If you do not pay me, then I will complain to eBay. In that complaint, I will note that this is the second time in three weeks that you have stiffed a seller (yes, I checked--you have a history of doing this, and eBay does not take kindly to buyers who do this sort of thing). You are in Russia. The listing clearly stated that the shipping rate quoted was for the United States only. I do not know what it will cost to send this jacket to you, but I'm guessing at least $25, and that's a guess. If you want the jacket, let me know and I will figure out a total cost including shipping. Otherwise, you can pay me the $10 that you owe and we can consider the matter closed.

I strongly encourage you to do the right thing and pay me the money that you owe. Otherwise, we can go through eBay's formal process that I suspect will not end well for you.

You have 24 hours.

- digcolnagos


From: wolverine83-ru
To: digcolnagos
Subject: Re: Other: wolverine83-ru sent a message about Men's medium military issue digital camouflage tactical jacket camo NWOT #281016926644
Sent Date: Nov-11-12 19:27:43 PST

Dear digcolnagos,

Yes, you read that right.

- wolverine83-ru


From: digcolnagos
To: wolverine83-ru
Subject: Re: Other: wolverine83-ru sent a message about Men's medium military issue digital camouflage tactical jacket camo NWOT #281016926644
Sent Date: Nov-11-12 19:17:02 PST

Dear wolverine83-ru,

I am not sure that I understand you. Are you saying that you are not going to pay for this?

- digcolnagos


From: wolverine83-ru
To: digcolnagos
Subject: Other: wolverine83-ru sent a message about Men's medium military issue digital camouflage tactical jacket camo NWOT #281016926644
Sent Date: Nov-11-12 18:39:39 PST

Dear digcolnagos,

Hello dear seller, I'm sorry but I accidentally mixed up your lot with a jacket M-65 and quickly placed a bet. You could not take off your lot with me. Thank you for understanding

- wolverine83-ru
post #1180 of 15863

I have sold less than 200 things on ebay however I have never offered or had a return. I have sold everything from a Polo shirt to a Cartier watch, no problems, only one ever dispute and 100% good feedback. I think you can make this a tad harder than it needs to be, ebay is not Nordstrom.

post #1181 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan954 View Post

I am wondering if this is a "creative" or "sleezy" idea in dealing with buyers that clearly want out of the deal and return an item but hold it ransom until you ALSO pay the return shipping despite the clear policy stated in the listing. I haven't had to use it, perhaps because I include so many disclaimers that may help in scaring people away but I have always considered it.

Backstory to how I got the idea:
I had a guy (read...JERK) want to return a shirt because he said it did not fit. I did some investigating and had to chuckle. I listed the shirt as a medium (the correlating size to the "number" size on the shirt according to the maker). His previous purchases on eBay were all for L or XL clothing. He requested a return, very upset that it did not fit, and demanded I pay him to ship it back. Obviously eBay only allows full refund but the buyer has to pay return shipping. Being the kind soul that I am, I gifted him the additional cash to ship the shirt back even after he filed a claim against me and won.

My thoughts:

I am thinking...if a buyer demands a refund + payment for return shipping, and you "agree" through messages, do you have to follow through with the second part? It would seem to me that they would send the item back, you would send full refund and then they would complain they did not get the costs for return shipping. They would file with eBay, who would see the terms of the sale as "buyer pays return shipping" and close the case on them, right? Obviously it is a false promise to them to relinquish the good back, but it does so to have them fulfill the bargain they agreed to at the outset.

I think that when you make a bargain, you should keep your word, even if it is a bad bargain.
post #1182 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollotrader View Post

I have sold less than 200 things on ebay however I have never offered or had a return. I have sold everything from a Polo shirt to a Cartier watch, no problems, only one ever dispute and 100% good feedback. I think you can make this a tad harder than it needs to be, ebay is not Nordstrom.

Patience my son....returns will happen.

post #1183 of 15863
+1
Cost of doing business and, just like bricks and mortar retail, should be built into your margins.
post #1184 of 15863
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I have a BB SC listed as BIN with 15 watchers (up for a week or so). I'm thinking if I send it to auction I could probably get more than the current price. If they are watching an item that's BIN, will ebay send a notification that it has turned into an auction?

Just saw your signature...lol

post #1185 of 15863

EDIT  Oops wrong thread...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions