or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions - Page 69

post #1021 of 14654
I actually didn't list measurements, just the tagged size, but I ended up taking the return anyway. I can offer a second-chance offer to the next-highest bidder, who only bid $1 less than the winning bidder, or I can just put it up again (it only went for $7 over the starting bid, so I'm pretty confident I can sell it again at near the same price if it comes to that).
post #1022 of 14654
Thread Starter 
I know it was mentioned awhile ago, but I wanted to make a comment in regard to listing sizes in auction titles. I've found that my auction listings that DON'T have a size in the title have gotten far more views and watchers than those with the size. I'm assuming it's because everyone hopes that it is their size and are willing to click to find out. I still list the size in the drop down menu, so it can be filtered, but I'm happy if more eyes are viewing the auction as it gets people to reconsider it.

It's probably obvious to everyone, but I thought I'd also mention this: many people filter by price and the price points can make a huge difference in who sees your auction. I recently listed a pair of shoes several times in a row starting at €75. They didn't sell and when they finally hit an opening bid of €49,99, they got a lot of immediate attention. They ended up selling at my first opening bid.

I don't have a lot of hard numbers to back things up like some of you guys that deal in volume, but it's becoming worthwhile for me to list something at €49.99 rather than €59.99 if it sells quicker and gets more attention.
post #1023 of 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I know it was mentioned awhile ago, but I wanted to make a comment in regard to listing sizes in auction titles. I've found that my auction listings that DON'T have a size in the title have gotten far more views and watchers than those with the size. I'm assuming it's because everyone hopes that it is their size and are willing to click to find out. I still list the size in the drop down menu, so it can be filtered, but I'm happy if more eyes are viewing the auction as it gets people to reconsider it.
It's probably obvious to everyone, but I thought I'd also mention this: many people filter by price and the price points can make a huge difference in who sees your auction. I recently listed a pair of shoes several times in a row starting at €75. They didn't sell and when they finally hit an opening bid of €49,99, they got a lot of immediate attention. They ended up selling at my first opening bid.
I don't have a lot of hard numbers to back things up like some of you guys that deal in volume, but it's becoming worthwhile for me to list something at €49.99 rather than €59.99 if it sells quicker and gets more attention.

I agree with what you're saying, except the size in the title. A view from someone that is completely the wrong size is as good as no view.
post #1024 of 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I don't have a lot of hard numbers to back things up like some of you guys that deal in volume, but it's becoming worthwhile for me to list something at €49.99 rather than €59.99 if it sells quicker and gets more attention.

 

depends on your philsophy and inventory storage options.  i can't stand having all the clutter and stuff that is associated with having a large inventory, so i tend to list items as the price I would accept and a buy it now just slightly above my best expectation of sale price. 

 

Brianpore and other sellers seems to manage a large inventory quite well, and is therefore able to offer longer term buy it nows, with correspondingly higher prices.

post #1025 of 14654
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post

I agree with what you're saying, except the size in the title. A view from someone that is completely the wrong size is as good as no view.

I can completely understand that logic and agree with it to an extent. However, there might be that one person that sees them and then checks on measurements and finds out that they will work. Or, they could be a member of a clothing board and send the link to someone else biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

depends on your philsophy and inventory storage options.  i can't stand having all the clutter and stuff that is associated with having a large inventory, so i tend to list items as the price I would accept and a buy it now just slightly above my best expectation of sale price. 

Brianpore and other sellers seems to manage a large inventory quite well, and is therefore able to offer longer term buy it nows, with correspondingly higher prices.

Storing things is definitely wearing thin on me. I'd like to move things faster but at the same time I want to get enough out of it to warrant the time. I don't come across as many items to flip, so I try to milk them. I've done well with NWT items that I've gotten at various places in the US. I can easily see why you'd want to get things in and out quickly if you have access to a diverse selection.
post #1026 of 14654

Ok bros, I have a question. I couldn't move these at 75 for two auctions, but then my helper took different pics and we started at 70. Is it the picture or price making the difference? I like my picture better, but i can't argue with views and bids

Helper pic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117932700?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

My pic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117250572?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

post #1027 of 14654
I like your pictures better as a whole, but I probably would have chosen one that showed off the shoe better as my gallery shot. Yours doesn't really show enough of the shoe. Ebay can also be fickle. I've relisted things multiple times with no bids only to have the bidding blow to the moon the next week -- so that may also have played a part -- you never know who is browsing your auctions when.
post #1028 of 14654
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

Ok bros, I have a question. I couldn't move these at 75 for two auctions, but then my helper took different pics and we started at 70. Is it the picture or price making the difference? I like my picture better, but i can't argue with views and bids
Helper pic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117932700?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
My pic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117250572?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

I think your pictures are more accurate or real. The other ones are a bit busier and therefore distracting and you see fewer flaws. I personally think yours are far more helpful to the potential buyer. As VLSI said, it could just be the luck of the draw or even the price drop.

At the very least, in a thumbnail view, his picture is far more tempting to click. You might just be getting more action on it because more people are willing to click on the link in the first place.
post #1029 of 14654
I think your photos show more detail, but I wouldn't want shoes that color. I like the color in the helper photos. I don't know which is more accurate, but to my eye, the raspberry color in your photos looks like something a women would wear.
post #1030 of 14654

Helpers photos are better to sell, but neither are great - sorry peepwall[1].gif.

 

Photos in general you want nothing distracting. Take a look at the two below... same photo. I wouldnt be thrilled using the 2nd one but its a lot better then the first.

 

700

 

700

post #1031 of 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

I dont - if I can fit it in, then yeah but if I have other important keywords then no I dont. The ebay tagging system populates the sizes for your anyway without you having to include them in a written title, so I dont feel the need to wast title space for them.

I thought you used RARE/CLASSIC/ESSENTIAL etc. as filler. Do you find that buyers actually take these keywords seriously?
Quote:
DROOL! Miu Miu by Prada Fall Suede Scalloped Orange Brown D'Orsay Shoes Pumps NR
post #1032 of 14654

What do you call this fabric? Diagonal pencil stripe? puzzled.gif

 

Photobucket

post #1033 of 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmorris View Post

Ok bros, I have a question. I couldn't move these at 75 for two auctions, but then my helper took different pics and we started at 70. Is it the picture or price making the difference? I like my picture better, but i can't argue with views and bids
Helper pic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117932700?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
My pic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261117250572?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

In the new listing you'll want to change the size in the text of the description. Currently it sits at 11A.
post #1034 of 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

What do you call this fabric? Diagonal pencil stripe? puzzled.gif

Photobucket
It's a twill, but I'm not sure how to best describe the alternating white/blue. Maybe just that: blue/white twill.
post #1035 of 14654

What's the best way to photograph shirts given that I'm not great and doing a professional store fold?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions