or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Non-Rule "Rules"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-Rule "Rules" - Page 39

post #571 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I don't think the universities would support such a rule. They make millions of dollars selling logo gear to supporters who have never set foot on campus.
Striped ties are ambiguous, but you're absolutely right about crested ties. Don't wear it unless you're part of the club. Maybe we can make up a crest for SF and distribute ties for everyone to wear to meet-ups... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Is joke!

Isn't there already an "official" Styleforum pocket square?

post #572 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

There was an official SF tie a few years ago

could you elaborate on that please?

the pink one?
post #573 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

the pink one?

lulz
post #574 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post

Isn't there already an "official" Styleforum pocket square?

http://www.kentwang.com/white-with-leaf-with-blood-red-edge.html

 

I'm not sure who decided it was the official one of the forum, or if it even meets Manton's rules about cotton pocket squares mentioned in the thread he started recently.

post #575 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

http://www.kentwang.com/white-with-leaf-with-blood-red-edge.html

 

I'm not sure who decided it was the official one of the forum, or if it even meets Manton's rules about cotton pocket squares mentioned in the thread he started recently.

It's lovely though. If it wasn't for the import duties I'd buy one.

post #576 of 772
I agree about solid satin ties... Don't like 'em. In the evening, with a dark suit and a white shirt, they can look good, but they always seem so fragile to me. A single drop of condensation from one's drink and the tie is essentially ruined.

I believe someone mentioned it earlier as well, but I don't seem to be able to do striped ties. They never seem to go with stuff properly, especially with striped shirts. I know all about the "rules" about scale and intensity and what not, but there just always seems to be a better choice.

Oh, and despite all the iGentry, I don't cuff any pants.
post #577 of 772
I think my only non-rule rule is: no multi-color shirts. just solids or single color stripes or checks.
post #578 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

I don't wear multiple new purchases on the same day. I break them out slowly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i suck at that. no restraint here. if i get a few things that go together, i bust em all out at once.

A man who has at length found something to do will not need to get a new suit to do it in; for him the old will do, that has lain dusty in the garret for an indeterminate period. Old shoes will serve a hero longer than they have served his valet -- if a hero ever has a valet -- bare feet are older than shoes, and he can make them do. Only they who go to soires and legislative balls must have new coats, coats to change as often as the man changes in them. But if my jacket and trousers, my hat and shoes, are fit to worship God in, they will do; will they not? Who ever saw his old clothes -- his old coat, actually worn out, resolved into its primitive elements, so that it was not a deed of charity to bestow it on some poor boy, by him perchance to be bestowed on some poorer still, or shall we say richer, who could do with less? I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles. Our moulting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives. The loon retires to solitary ponds to spend it. Thus also the snake casts its slough, and the caterpillar its wormy coat, by an internal industry and expansion; for clothes are but our outmost cuticle and mortal coil. Otherwise we shall be found sailing under false colors, and be inevitably cashiered at last by our own opinion, as well as that of mankind.

--Thoreau
post #579 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

I think my only non-rule rule is: no multi-color shirts. just solids or single color stripes or checks.

frown.gif

even in your casual gear.
post #580 of 772
ah, ^ ok. yes, I have a few mulit color gingham button downs, but I thought this was strictly suit-and-tie wearing convo.

lol, RJ man. I have to keep the shirt simple so as not to detract from the cat square!
post #581 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

A man who has at length found something to do will not need to get a new suit to do it in; for him the old will do, that has lain dusty in the garret for an indeterminate period. Old shoes will serve a hero longer than they have served his valet -- if a hero ever has a valet -- bare feet are older than shoes, and he can make them do. Only they who go to soires and legislative balls must have new coats, coats to change as often as the man changes in them. But if my jacket and trousers, my hat and shoes, are fit to worship God in, they will do; will they not? Who ever saw his old clothes -- his old coat, actually worn out, resolved into its primitive elements, so that it was not a deed of charity to bestow it on some poor boy, by him perchance to be bestowed on some poorer still, or shall we say richer, who could do with less? I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles. Our moulting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives. The loon retires to solitary ponds to spend it. Thus also the snake casts its slough, and the caterpillar its wormy coat, by an internal industry and expansion; for clothes are but our outmost cuticle and mortal coil. Otherwise we shall be found sailing under false colors, and be inevitably cashiered at last by our own opinion, as well as that of mankind.
--Thoreau

I'm stealing this. Thanks!
post #582 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

could you elaborate on that please?
the pink one?

Not the pink one but one that's just as much etched in SF's history and collective ethos... Have you ever heard these two words around these parts? (usually whispered, and followed by either sighs, giggles or mentions of Darren Beaman)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Carlo Franco
pic here (Click to show)
post #583 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I'm stealing this. Thanks!

I'm not sure that you can really steal a work in the public domain...
post #584 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix View Post

A man who has at length found something to do will not need to get a new suit to do it in; for him the old will do, that has lain dusty in the garret for an indeterminate period. Old shoes will serve a hero longer than they have served his valet -- if a hero ever has a valet -- bare feet are older than shoes, and he can make them do. Only they who go to soires and legislative balls must have new coats, coats to change as often as the man changes in them. But if my jacket and trousers, my hat and shoes, are fit to worship God in, they will do; will they not? Who ever saw his old clothes -- his old coat, actually worn out, resolved into its primitive elements, so that it was not a deed of charity to bestow it on some poor boy, by him perchance to be bestowed on some poorer still, or shall we say richer, who could do with less? I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles. Our moulting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives. The loon retires to solitary ponds to spend it. Thus also the snake casts its slough, and the caterpillar its wormy coat, by an internal industry and expansion; for clothes are but our outmost cuticle and mortal coil. Otherwise we shall be found sailing under false colors, and be inevitably cashiered at last by our own opinion, as well as that of mankind.
--Thoreau

summation please. my eyes glazed over after 2 lines.
post #585 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

ah, ^ ok. yes, I have a few mulit color gingham button downs, but I thought this was strictly suit-and-tie wearing convo.

maybe it is, but i was just checking. smile.gif

you dont ever wear a multi color stripe? frown.gif

im wearing one right now. white ground, gray and rust stripes. i love it. collar is way less lame than the pic lets on.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
2012-02-19_20-04-27_989.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Not the pink one but one that's just as much etched in SF's history and collective ethos... Have you ever heard these two words around these parts? (usually whispered, and followed by either sighs, giggles or mentions of Darren Beaman) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Carlo Franco
pic here (Click to show)

that is new to me. never heard of it. it has been added to my database. thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Non-Rule "Rules"