or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Durable dress shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Durable dress shoes? - Page 4

post #46 of 64
I suppose, however unless you are covered in gold and diamonds, most people are just happy that you took the time to dress nicely.
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I suppose, however unless you are covered in gold and diamonds, most people are just happy that you took the time to dress nicely.

 

I would hope so, but I'm not sure that's true anymore.  Depends on your clientele.

post #48 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

That's exactly what you said Phi. It's a bit much for a jump to think that because someone choses to buy nice shoes instead of any number of other things that they're overpaid....and that you should be rewarded for this find with a better price on your car.
Deal with the general public for 12 hours a day, including everyone who thinks they're a good negotiator because they watch pawn stars, and you'll have a new concept of what 'overpaid' is.

Exactly I find for the amount I bring in a year which is not much at all compared to what I put up with that I am grossly underpaid. Like I said $300 is a stretch.
post #49 of 64

Look, I really do wish you the best of luck, and I hope you find yourself in a position to get a sweet pair of shoes, say a an exotic shell longwing or something like that.  But for the moment, go with what is in your reach. 

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

I've had a different experience with my Desert Boots =/

Got my first pair in college and crepe sole wore through after a year (then again I wore them pretty hard).

Crepe is not long wearing and has never been so those desert boots were some other sort of synthetic. Vibram is the longest wearing synthetic but you don't see it very much these days. It also depends on how many shoes you own. For eample, if you had 2 pairs of AE leather soled shoes and just wore these 2 only it would take 2 years before needing to be resoled assuming you wore them for a typical average hours a day and walked a typical distance and are not using them as hiking shoes.

I don't recomend  the full treatment because it's like a 1/3 the value of the shoe. A good shoemaker can use a 1/2  sole and just replace the front where it wears. It's a fraction of the price and you don't have to take the whole sole off which isn't worn anyway and you'll keep the shape better.

 If you have a number of shoes worrying about resoling isn't even a question. If you take care of a shoe it will last perhaps 5 years (maybe even 10) As an example, if you had only 5 shoes it would take 5 years before they had to be resoled (heels more but they're cheap). At 5 years old you're going to have to decide whether it's worth spending over a $100 to resole etc an old shoe that only costs $300 to replace or just throw them out and buy 5 new shoes for the next 5 years. A 1/2 sole isn't a bad idea( I think they're better) or just dump the shoes. On average you'd only be wearing out 1 pair a year so that's like $300 a year for AE shoes and is a reasonable expenditure for shoes.

 

Now, to the car salesman. Since you say you may be walking on wet pavement a lot you may want a rubber sole. But you want one that looks like it's leather and not those clunky looking danite or other bulky looking soles. You want a micro rubber sole. AE only makes 1 shoe with these. Here's what it looks like.

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2612C_1_40000000001_-1

 

Cheaney

 

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/cheaney-125th-anniversary/107/godfrey-d-chelsea-boot-in-black-calf

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Man View Post

Crepe is not long wearing and has never been so those desert boots were some other sort of synthetic. Vibram is the longest wearing synthetic but you don't see it very much these days. It also depends on how many shoes you own. For eample, if you had 2 pairs of AE leather soled shoes and just wore these 2 only it would take 2 years before needing to be resoled assuming you wore them for a typical average hours a day and walked a typical distance and are not using them as hiking shoes.

I don't recomend  the full treatment because it's like a 1/3 the value of the shoe. A good shoemaker can use a 1/2  sole and just replace the front where it wears. It's a fraction of the price and you don't have to take the whole sole off which isn't worn anyway and you'll keep the shape better.

 If you have a number of shoes worrying about resoling isn't even a question. If you take care of a shoe it will last perhaps 5 years (maybe even 10) As an example, if you had only 5 shoes it would take 5 years before they had to be resoled (heels more but they're cheap). At 5 years old you're going to have to decide whether it's worth spending over a $100 to resole etc an old shoe that only costs $300 to replace or just throw them out and buy 5 new shoes for the next 5 years. A 1/2 sole isn't a bad idea( I think they're better) or just dump the shoes. On average you'd only be wearing out 1 pair a year so that's like $300 a year for AE shoes and is a reasonable expenditure for shoes.

 

Now, to the car salesman. Since you say you may be walking on wet pavement a lot you may want a rubber sole. But you want one that looks like it's leather and not those clunky looking danite or other bulky looking soles. You want a micro rubber sole. AE only makes 1 shoe with these. Here's what it looks like.

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2612C_1_40000000001_-1

 

Cheaney

 

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/cheaney-125th-anniversary/107/godfrey-d-chelsea-boot-in-black-calf

PS-youmay be able to get AE to put this sole on another model as a special order

post #52 of 64

MTO upcharge starts at $75 and goes up from there.

post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker Man View Post

Crepe is not long wearing and has never been so those desert boots were some other sort of synthetic. Vibram is the longest wearing synthetic but you don't see it very much these days. It also depends on how many shoes you own. For eample, if you had 2 pairs of AE leather soled shoes and just wore these 2 only it would take 2 years before needing to be resoled assuming you wore them for a typical average hours a day and walked a typical distance and are not using them as hiking shoes.
I don't recomend  the full treatment because it's like a 1/3 the value of the shoe. A good shoemaker can use a 1/2  sole and just replace the front where it wears. It's a fraction of the price and you don't have to take the whole sole off which isn't worn anyway and you'll keep the shape better.
 If you have a number of shoes worrying about resoling isn't even a question. If you take care of a shoe it will last perhaps 5 years (maybe even 10) As an example, if you had only 5 shoes it would take 5 years before they had to be resoled (heels more but they're cheap). At 5 years old you're going to have to decide whether it's worth spending over a $100 to resole etc an old shoe that only costs $300 to replace or just throw them out and buy 5 new shoes for the next 5 years. A 1/2 sole isn't a bad idea( I think they're better) or just dump the shoes. On average you'd only be wearing out 1 pair a year so that's like $300 a year for AE shoes and is a reasonable expenditure for shoes.

Now, to the car salesman. Since you say you may be walking on wet pavement a lot you may want a rubber sole. But you want one that looks like it's leather and not those clunky looking danite or other bulky looking soles. You want a micro rubber sole. AE only makes 1 shoe with these. Here's what it looks like.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2612C_1_40000000001_-1

Cheaney

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/cheaney-125th-anniversary/107/godfrey-d-chelsea-boot-in-black-calf

Your generalizations about sole wear are just that...generalizations. Depending on a person's gait, they might cause excessive wear on certain areas faster than the average person.
post #54 of 64
Starting off I think the most important point that has been mentioned is getting multiple (2 to 3) pairs of shoes for your rotation. I understand if you have a certain limit and if it's $300, maybe allocate $200 to a nicer pair and $100 for a decent pair. Once you start building your rotation you will not wear your shoes out as quickly. Keep in mind that full re-sole typically runs $75 to $125 so at this point a resole can be close to 50% of the value you paid (for you, this might be a decent value or not worth it). Shoe guards (AKA topy) can extend the wear of your shoes but they run around $25 to $35 so that's another mark-up to keep in mind.

I think the biggest factor about the wear is not the pavement (this might be the 2nd biggest factor) but it sounds like you have been wearing a single pair of shoes to work. If you can set a goal of obtaining 2 pairs of shoes now and a 3rd in the next 6 months, I think you will be okay.

Good luck and best of luck to you. Higher price point merchandise sales dip during harder times.
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


Your generalizations about sole wear are just that...generalizations. Depending on a person's gait, they might cause excessive wear on certain areas faster than the average person.

Of course they're generalisations and are just based on my 40+ years of wearing shoes like AE. You're right about a person's stride and most kids today never learned how to walk correctly. When you're brought up wearing flat soled "sneaker" type shoes you tend to walk more on the sole. Joggers run on their soles which is why they wear out numerous shoes per year. Someone brought up wearing sneakers is walking closer to the way a jogger would jog than to a man walking on a shoe with a heel.

When you walk in shoes you come down on the heel, your foot pivots onto the sole which is then flat on the ground. You then do the same with the opposite foot and then lift offf from the first foot. people who were brought up wearing sneakers tend to walk more on the sole and either scrape the front of their shoes or shuffle along which is why they wear out soles quickly.

I have shoes that are 25 or more years old from Church and they still have their original soles and heels and are in excellent condition and look like they have 3/4 of wear still left on them.

post #56 of 64

I am also a car salesman. I had the same delima. I went to the Walking Company and purchased 2 pairs of Dansco shoes. They already have the insoles you need built in, so there is no need to spend the extra $60 to $100 dollars for those. I have been wearing them for 2 months now and I love them.They are showing hardly any signs of wear on the soles. I also treated them with some beeswax cream to water-proof. I could jog in these shoes. I don't think you could spend more than $169 per pair. Good luck.http://www.dansko.com/Mens/Footwear/At%20Work/

post #57 of 64
A friend of mine is an office furniture salesman, makes calls all day, measuring, etc. Probably doesn't treat his shoes as rough as the OP, but he puts a lot of miles on them. He's heavy set and hard on shoes. He's also cheap. He wears nothing but Allen Edmonds. He destroys all other shoes and finds AEs most cost-effective.

Also, do you sell American cars or foreign cars? If American, it may not hurt your cause to wear American-made shoes.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarsen77 View Post


Exactly I find for the amount I bring in a year which is not much at all compared to what I put up with that I am grossly underpaid. Like I said $300 is a stretch.

Please don't take this the wrong way - do you mind if I ask how tall and how much you weigh?

 

Someone who's 120+kg will go through the Leather/Rubber sole shoes alot quicker than someone who's 50kg.

A person height will affect how he walks and the way he walk.  This will impact where the the most strain is

on the shoe sole..........

 

Something classy, dressy and durable for $200 is mission impossible.

You'll need to wait for the season sale...

 

What size shoes are you? If you're a UK 10...you can have some of my stuff.

post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post

Also, do you sell American cars or foreign cars? If American, it may not hurt your cause to wear American-made shoes.

like any customers are gonna notice or care? you think the buyer of a ford focus is going to take a moment to look at the salesman's shoes, determine that they were american made, and be more compelled to buy the car? Worse yet, is the salesman going to announce that he's wearing american made shoes?

dude, come on.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


like any customers are gonna notice or care? you think the buyer of a ford focus is going to take a moment to look at the salesman's shoes, determine that they were american made, and be more compelled to buy the car? Worse yet, is the salesman going to announce that he's wearing american made shoes?

dude, come on.

lol....Imagine he's selling Toyota or Nissan....some of the cheapest RTW Japanese shoe makers cost $1500 per pair.

Trees are extra and they'll frown if you ask for a rubber topy. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Durable dress shoes?