or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bespoke bicycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke bicycles - Page 4

post #46 of 77
.
Edited by F. Corbera - 7/24/12 at 7:36pm
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Sometimes, I post something and delete it afterwards because it is clear that the people with whom I am discussing things have read it and moved on.
So, you see, someone had read it. Just not you.

So why post on a public forum? The whole point of message boards is so that other people can read and learn.

It is really annoying to open a thread and half the posts have been deleted.
Edited by JL724 - 7/24/12 at 6:56pm
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL724 View Post

So why post on a public forum? The whole point of message boards is so that other people can read and learn.
It is really annoying to open a thread and half the posts have been deleted so you can't learn anything.

I post in a thread if a line of discussion is interesting or amusing. I remove posts if I feel like it, particularly if the members that I'm addressing have read it and something in the post is personal.

If you want to learn something from what I've posted, there is more than enough material on StyFo to occupy your time. If you are, instead, merely annoyed, it is simple to put my username on your block list and avoid being annoyed again.

If you have something to say about nice bikes, that might make a better topic for your next post, if any, in this thread, rather than how put out you are.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I post in a thread if a line of discussion is interesting or amusing. I remove posts if I feel like it, particularly if the members that I'm addressing have read it and something in the post is personal.
If you want to learn something from what I've posted, there is more than enough material on StyFo to occupy your time. If you are, instead, merely annoyed, it is simple to put my username on your block list and avoid being annoyed again.
If you have something to say about nice bikes, that might make a better topic for your next post, if any, in this thread, rather than how put out you are.
Why don't you just give him his money back and be done with it?
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Why don't you just give him his money back and be done with it?

He's not happy with my restocking fee.
post #51 of 77
Back, courtesy of Monty (thank you).

Very nice bikes, and honestly, they make me wish that I'd have commissioned one when I had the chance. I haven't any bespoke bikes, partially because I couldn't justify the cost, and related, because I got into so many accidents that I couldn't justify the cost.

My poor mountain bikes, also, have taken a beating, and a few have been so badly damaged (and those things are made to take a beating) that they just needed to be scrapped. I have gravel scars over a decade old that are a testament to my foolhardy and inexpert riding. My rule is that if the bike has to go over the cliff in order for me to live, it's every bike/man for himself.
post #52 of 77
Thread Starter 
Now that the thread has been moved to parts I don't frequent, please PM me anytime you want to draw my attention back. I understand and can live with the mods' rationale for moving it, even though my intended audience was MC. It reached the right people while there.
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Back, courtesy of Monty (thank you).
Very nice bikes, and honestly, they make me wish that I'd have commissioned one when I had the chance. I haven't any bespoke bikes, partially because I couldn't justify the cost, and related, because I got into so many accidents that I couldn't justify the cost.
My poor mountain bikes, also, have taken a beating, and a few have been so badly damaged (and those things are made to take a beating) that they just needed to be scrapped. I have gravel scars over a decade old that are a testament to my foolhardy and inexpert riding. My rule is that if the bike has to go over the cliff in order for me to live, it's every bike/man for himself.

Hey, there comes a time in every man's life where he has to lay his bike down in the interests of self preservation. With a bespoke bike, one thinks thrice about it.
post #54 of 77
i-KCCg8VF-X2.jpg
post #55 of 77
i-2xz5d2n-X2.jpg
post #56 of 77
I remember Litespeed as one of the names I saw back in my msgr days, one of the makers that actually made track bikes. The fact that we used them for everything except riding on a track made those bikes exceptional. Another was the Cannondale Track. The original one in light blue with those enormous tubes and the American flag. Good times.
post #57 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

i-KCCg8VF-X2.jpg

Based on incomplete memory of that Litespeed frameset and the Eurus wheel decals (which predate the 2002 Eurus on my one production frameset), I'm going to guess that this is a vintage 1999-2001 bike. True? With that tubing and those trusty wheels, your bike can give many more years of happy riding. Enjoy.
post #58 of 77
You have a good eye. I had the frameset made MTO in 2004, the wheelset is the Eurus G3 from the same year. The Campy Record, Zero G brakes, and other components are 2005-ish, when I finally had it built up.

Frameset weight including the integrated headset is in the 2.7lbs territory, and is pretty stiff...I haven't kept track of how much lighter things might have gotten since then. The bike as built up is a around 15lbs...if I put climbing wheels on it, it would be UCI-illegal!

Care to guess the age of the water bottle?
post #59 of 77
Some more pics:

Bladed spoke tied and soldered to Campy track hubs, laced to Mavic Mach 2DC tubular rings. You don't see this any more.


Regina Chain, Mavic crankset, Gipiemme chainring bolts, Campy chainring


Cinelli lugset, stem & bars, Campy dropouts, Campy grouppo, elkhide bar wrap


A rare sight: Cinelli fork crown with Reynolds etching


Here you can see the Campy aero seatpost and Selle San Marco Titanio saddle


90% of this bike was bespoken by someone in England with the only markings on the frame the PO's country code scratched into the BB housing with presumably a knife, perhaps due to the very high instances of bike theft in the UK. I really wish I knew who commissioned/made this bike.
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesquieu View Post

Based on incomplete memory of that Litespeed frameset and the Eurus wheel decals (which predate the 2002 Eurus on my one production frameset), I'm going to guess that this is a vintage 1999-2001 bike.

Can't answer re FC's frameset, but Ms. Trix rides a Litespeed from 1999, and, but for some wear and tear on the decals, it looks and rides like the day it was born. Her only complaint, periodically, is that she is tired of the color. That, and when I call it a circus bike due to the compact geometry and 650 wheels needed for her own diminutive frame.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bespoke bicycles