or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › College Wardrobe- What to wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

College Wardrobe- What to wear? - Page 3

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

In a similar position to you, I wore a pretty good range of stuff. Jeans and cords for the pants, tweed blazers and sweaters, with sport shirts (tweed can work with pretty casual shirts), oxfords and the like. Button down collars all the way. I mixed in a leather jacket, and a canvas one. Footwear was typically loafers, bucks, boat shoes, and the occasional wingtip or sneaker in summer.
Skip the ties as a daily thing.
You can dress well, but casually. With how slovenly most students are, going too formal is something you want to avoid.

fight fire with fire!

wear ties to fight those slackers.
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

This thread is great, I'm currently a 28 year old junior in engineering.  Being forced to buy a suit for career day helped me realize that I could likely dress much better in general, which ultimately resulted in me joining this forum.  At my old job I was assigned a uniform and given an allowance for boots, so I didn't have to think about my weekday dress on a regular basis.

With three semesters left, I feel that most of my clothing purchases should be items that could also be worn to work in a business casual environment, but it's difficult to gauge what is too classy for class.  I'm currently wearing mostly dark slim jeans, chinos, cords and either solid T shirts or casual button up shirts (oxfords, chambray, etc.).  I'm in need of a bit more variety and am open to suggestions.

Do you guys think something like an AE Kenilworth or Alden suede blucher would be too stuffy for class?  I feel that this type of footwear is likely to be appropriate for work in the near future.  Perhaps I can get away with classier attire than my 20 year old classmates without looking like a douche at my advanced age.  I'm certainly closer to the age of my youngest professors than my classmates and drinking/study buddies.

My mentality is to purchase the most formal items first and add them to the rotation. I work side by side folks who wear sneakers to work. 4/5 of the time I'm wearing oxfords while they wear Kenneth Coles, sneakers, whatever.

Buy what you want. Given your age, it won't be an issue.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

This thread is great, I'm currently a 28 year old junior in engineering.  Being forced to buy a suit for career day helped me realize that I could likely dress much better in general, which ultimately resulted in me joining this forum.  At my old job I was assigned a uniform and given an allowance for boots, so I didn't have to think about my weekday dress on a regular basis.

With three semesters left, I feel that most of my clothing purchases should be items that could also be worn to work in a business casual environment, but it's difficult to gauge what is too classy for class.  I'm currently wearing mostly dark slim jeans, chinos, cords and either solid T shirts or casual button up shirts (oxfords, chambray, etc.).  I'm in need of a bit more variety and am open to suggestions.

Do you guys think something like an AE Kenilworth or Alden suede blucher would be too stuffy for class?  I feel that this type of footwear is likely to be appropriate for work in the near future.  Perhaps I can get away with classier attire than my 20 year old classmates without looking like a douche at my advanced age.  I'm certainly closer to the age of my youngest professors than my classmates and drinking/study buddies.

Shoes are an excellent way to step up your game. They really ground an outfit, but not a whole lot will consciously process it. You'll look better dressed, but it's not like wearing a tie, which really stands out. For me, it was penny loafers and bucks. Classic casual shoes, when everyone else was wearing sneakers. And yeah, being a bit older may indeed give you a little more license, but I don't think it quite merits a tie. You'll certainly pull off shirt and casual sportcoats more easily though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poissa View Post

fight fire with fire!
wear ties to fight those slackers.

The key in a scenario like that is to dress a little more formally, but not too much, and to just make sure everything you wear fits better and is better made. You're talking about an environment where the plurality is dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie; a tie would be severely out of place. I was almost always the most formally dressed just by wearing a shirt with buttons.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

Do you guys think something like an AE Kenilworth or Alden suede blucher would be too stuffy for class?  I feel that this type of footwear is likely to be appropriate for work in the near future.  Perhaps I can get away with classier attire than my 20 year old classmates without looking like a douche at my advanced age.  I'm certainly closer to the age of my youngest professors than my classmates and drinking/study buddies.

Both sounds fine, especially go for suede option.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostoevsky View Post

Ah I see. What are some higher quality brands you would recommend for ME? Obviously, I don't want to be wearing kiton and brioni in college. MTM is also an option, I just don't know what I would wear with MTM shirts if I don't want to "suit up". 

Paul Stuart is for younger Men.

post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post


Both sounds fine, especially go for suede option.

I agree with this.

I'm currently thinking of purchasing a pair of Alden suede bluchers myself... well the longwing bluchers that is.

post #37 of 53
The best thing is a dark suede can dress up and down. Plus they can be maintain easily
post #38 of 53

I was thinking of something like this:

 

700

post #39 of 53
just please...no desert boots and jcrew

just buy cool shit that fits well. if you're fat or really skinny, get in shape, because nothing looks good if you don't.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluery View Post

just please...no desert boots and jcrew
just buy cool shit that fits well. if you're fat or really skinny, get in shape, because nothing looks good if you don't.

ffffuuuu.gif
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluery View Post

just please...no desert boots and jcrew
just buy cool shit that fits well. if you're fat or really skinny, get in shape, because nothing looks good if you don't.

There is no reason for you not to buy desert boots or J. Crew, they are good for what they are.

However, getting in shape will provide your more benefits in college than any amount of clothing.
post #42 of 53

At your age and in college life you should wear more casual wear in the funky manner, casual t shits with trousers and you can also try jeans with shirts whatever you prefer more..Try and see whats on the current wage on people around you and you can have idea from that.

 

----------------------

Voi Jeans

post #43 of 53

I guess well fitting jeans and a nice shirt would do. I would suggest to go to Venice or Padua and buy 9.2 jeans(they can´t be found on the Internet), and get a MTM or bespoke shirt with some nice shoes.

post #44 of 53

any suggestions for sportcoats that are casual enough to make infrequent appearances in class?  at public school.

post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post

This thread is great, I'm currently a 28 year old junior in engineering.  Being forced to buy a suit for career day helped me realize that I could likely dress much better in general, which ultimately resulted in me joining this forum.  At my old job I was assigned a uniform and given an allowance for boots, so I didn't have to think about my weekday dress on a regular basis.

With three semesters left, I feel that most of my clothing purchases should be items that could also be worn to work in a business casual environment, but it's difficult to gauge what is too classy for class.  I'm currently wearing mostly dark slim jeans, chinos, cords and either solid T shirts or casual button up shirts (oxfords, chambray, etc.).  I'm in need of a bit more variety and am open to suggestions.

Do you guys think something like an AE Kenilworth or Alden suede blucher would be too stuffy for class?  I feel that this type of footwear is likely to be appropriate for work in the near future.  Perhaps I can get away with classier attire than my 20 year old classmates without looking like a douche at my advanced age.  I'm certainly closer to the age of my youngest professors than my classmates and drinking/study buddies.

No, it would be fine, and frankly I think you could get away with even a little farther up the formality scale without undue attention. Strands, for example. Here's the thing about buying good footwear in college. Unlike the rest of your clothes, your shoe size probably won't change all that much in the first few years you're out of school. Unlike the rest of your clothes, these shoes won't go out of style in the first few years you're out of school. I think this is the place to spend money.

As for SC that would not be inappropriate in class, I don't personally see anything wrong with tweed as long as it isn't too over the top. Then again, I live in Milwaukee and we appreciate a bit of warmth here. Maybe I'll come back to this thread after classes start in a few weeks and I see what my students are wearing. 2 years ago I had a student who "suited up" one day a week. It didn't stand out all that much. Well, not as much as his blue hair did. See, in college you can do anything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › College Wardrobe- What to wear?