Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 Last post on Today at 1:44 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- Gallery Contest - Classic menswear scorekeeper thread. Last post on Yesterday at 9:45 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015 Last post on 3/31/15 at 11:00am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wool knit/jersey for suiting?post #1 of 217/22/12 at 1:09amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 217/22/12 at 2:33ampost #3 of 217/22/12 at 5:46ampost #4 of 217/22/12 at 6:20ampost #5 of 217/22/12 at 10:19amThread Starter^Can you point to any jackets they make that are knits? I searched without much luck.
For those who don't know, this is what knit looks like:
as opposed to the traditional woven wool used to make suiting. Knit is the same structure a cotton tshirt has. Obviously it's not as crisp and smooth looking as woven wool, but I'm curious if it's really that much different-looking, as I was handling yards of it yesterday right next to suiting and it looked only marginally more 'ripply'.
The enormous benefit of knitted wool, which is why I started this thread, it the fact that it's incredibly stretchy, in all four directions, without resorting to lycra.
Here's a video of a cotton knit from Brioni that looks perfectly fine to me, get matching trousers, button it up, and a crisp tie and shirt and it'll work for business no?:
Edited by Svenn - 7/22/12 at 10:34ampost #6 of 217/22/12 at 12:07pmpost #7 of 217/22/12 at 12:09pmpost #8 of 217/22/12 at 2:52pmpost #9 of 217/22/12 at 2:59pmThread Starterpost #10 of 217/22/12 at 4:24pmpost #11 of 217/22/12 at 8:07pmpost #12 of 217/22/12 at 9:03pmQuote:
I would worry about it sending a '70s, poly knit lesuire suit vibe, but since I've never really seen jersey knit wool in person that may be unfounded. I also thing it would work better as an odd jacket than as a suit.post #13 of 217/22/12 at 9:34pmQuote:
You've never seen a jersey knit sweater? Not all that uncommon.
Odds are, the vibe you would get would be similar to an old varsity sweater. Not a bad vibe, but I'd prefer it as an actual sweater.post #14 of 217/22/12 at 9:40pmQuote:
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.post #15 of 217/22/12 at 9:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by TGOL
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.
Polyester has a sheen to it that wool doesn't normally have, I don't think that would be much of an issue.
- Wool knit/jersey for suiting?
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 40 seconds ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 49 seconds ago
- › Sidian Ersatz & Vanes / size : M ( brand new ) 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 2 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...