Related Forum Threads
- Recent Canali Suit - DB Wool Cashmere Navy ~36/38 US Last post on 12/8/14 at 7:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Canali Wool Suits - 54 44 L Last post on 12/8/14 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on Today at 5:55 pm in Classic Menswear
- Are there any brands, clothiers, or retailers, that cater to the short (5'8"/1.70m)... Last post on 9/23/14 at 10:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wool knit/jersey for suiting?post #1 of 217/22/12 at 1:09amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 217/22/12 at 2:33ampost #3 of 217/22/12 at 5:46ampost #4 of 217/22/12 at 6:20ampost #5 of 217/22/12 at 10:19amThread Starter^Can you point to any jackets they make that are knits? I searched without much luck.
For those who don't know, this is what knit looks like:
as opposed to the traditional woven wool used to make suiting. Knit is the same structure a cotton tshirt has. Obviously it's not as crisp and smooth looking as woven wool, but I'm curious if it's really that much different-looking, as I was handling yards of it yesterday right next to suiting and it looked only marginally more 'ripply'.
The enormous benefit of knitted wool, which is why I started this thread, it the fact that it's incredibly stretchy, in all four directions, without resorting to lycra.
Here's a video of a cotton knit from Brioni that looks perfectly fine to me, get matching trousers, button it up, and a crisp tie and shirt and it'll work for business no?:
Edited by Svenn - 7/22/12 at 10:34ampost #6 of 217/22/12 at 12:07pmpost #7 of 217/22/12 at 12:09pmpost #8 of 217/22/12 at 2:52pmpost #9 of 217/22/12 at 2:59pmThread Starterpost #10 of 217/22/12 at 4:24pmpost #11 of 217/22/12 at 8:07pmpost #12 of 217/22/12 at 9:03pmQuote:
I would worry about it sending a '70s, poly knit lesuire suit vibe, but since I've never really seen jersey knit wool in person that may be unfounded. I also thing it would work better as an odd jacket than as a suit.post #13 of 217/22/12 at 9:34pmQuote:
You've never seen a jersey knit sweater? Not all that uncommon.
Odds are, the vibe you would get would be similar to an old varsity sweater. Not a bad vibe, but I'd prefer it as an actual sweater.post #14 of 217/22/12 at 9:40pmQuote:
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.post #15 of 217/22/12 at 9:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by TGOL
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.
Polyester has a sheen to it that wool doesn't normally have, I don't think that would be much of an issue.
- Wool knit/jersey for suiting?
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones Marston 10UK / 11US Black Loafers Made in England... 3 minutes ago
- › Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to... 4 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 6 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 9 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 10 minutes ago
- › The Friday Challenge 19th December 2014 - The Novelty Tie Challenge 11 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 12 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...