Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 27/11-2015: CHALKS AND PINS Last post on 12/5/15 at 11:54am in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the Ronald McDonald House. Last post on 1/8/16 at 1:11pm in Classic Menswear
- GREY/GRAY FRIDAY CHALLENGE 30th October 2015 Last post on 11/4/15 at 4:27am in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 12/4/15 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Wool knit/jersey for suiting?post #1 of 217/22/12 at 1:09amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 217/22/12 at 2:33ampost #3 of 217/22/12 at 5:46ampost #4 of 217/22/12 at 6:20ampost #5 of 217/22/12 at 10:19amThread Starter^Can you point to any jackets they make that are knits? I searched without much luck.
For those who don't know, this is what knit looks like:
as opposed to the traditional woven wool used to make suiting. Knit is the same structure a cotton tshirt has. Obviously it's not as crisp and smooth looking as woven wool, but I'm curious if it's really that much different-looking, as I was handling yards of it yesterday right next to suiting and it looked only marginally more 'ripply'.
The enormous benefit of knitted wool, which is why I started this thread, it the fact that it's incredibly stretchy, in all four directions, without resorting to lycra.
Here's a video of a cotton knit from Brioni that looks perfectly fine to me, get matching trousers, button it up, and a crisp tie and shirt and it'll work for business no?:
Edited by Svenn - 7/22/12 at 10:34ampost #6 of 217/22/12 at 12:07pmpost #7 of 217/22/12 at 12:09pmpost #8 of 217/22/12 at 2:52pmpost #9 of 217/22/12 at 2:59pmThread Starterpost #10 of 217/22/12 at 4:24pmpost #11 of 217/22/12 at 8:07pmpost #12 of 217/22/12 at 9:03pmQuote:
I would worry about it sending a '70s, poly knit lesuire suit vibe, but since I've never really seen jersey knit wool in person that may be unfounded. I also thing it would work better as an odd jacket than as a suit.post #13 of 217/22/12 at 9:34pmQuote:
You've never seen a jersey knit sweater? Not all that uncommon.
Odds are, the vibe you would get would be similar to an old varsity sweater. Not a bad vibe, but I'd prefer it as an actual sweater.post #14 of 217/22/12 at 9:40pmQuote:
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.post #15 of 217/22/12 at 9:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by TGOL
I have seen many a jersey knit sweater, but I was thinking of something in a much finer gauge and/or tighter knit that the sweaters I've seen. I didn't really make that clear, but I was picturing something like cotton jersey, but in wool, which I imagined would look an awful lot like poly doubleknit.
Polyester has a sheen to it that wool doesn't normally have, I don't think that would be much of an issue.
- Wool knit/jersey for suiting?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 8 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 9 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 9 minutes ago
- › is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts? 11 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 12 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...