- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- Gitman Bros Vintage. - Aqua Dot Short Sleeve - M - NWT! Last post on Today at 11:56 am in Marketplace
- NWOT Club Monaco OCBD 14.5-31 or 15-32 ESF Last post on Today at 11:51 am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DRIES VAN NOTEN shirt 48/M Last post on Today at 8:49 am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- NWT Ralph Lauren Purple Label Oxford Shirt. Size M. Retail $350 Last post on Today at 6:39 am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWT RLPL Oxford Shirt. Size Medium. Retail $350 Last post on Yesterday at 9:37 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
What tie would you pair with a burgundy striped shirt?post #1 of 127/20/12 at 3:44amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 127/20/12 at 5:39ampost #3 of 127/20/12 at 6:29am
I have one shirt with burguny stripes and find it very difficult to wear a suitable tie.
The shirt is question is below.
Solid navy, as suggested above, is a safe bet. But I still don't find it looks that great. I'd also stay away from diagonal university stripes on top of a striped shirt.
A medium/dark green (with some sort of navy/burgundy pattern/polka) is possible, but I can't find any pics at the moment.
Here are a few other ideas from Drake's:
Red is a possibility, but lokos bad more often than not. Perhaps something like this?
Also, straying from the solid navy, something navy with a red pattern/polka in it, such as:
Would be interested to hear if anyone has other ideas!post #4 of 127/20/12 at 9:19ampost #5 of 127/20/12 at 4:58pmI should say, it also really depends on the suit you'll be wearing. If you're doing a charcoal, then an olive/army green background with burgundy polka dots might work well. Or with a tan suit in the summer I might go navy with white polka dots. A navy suit is a bit tricky since a solid navy tie would be boring (and probably wouldn't match the suit exactly), so I might either go tieless and use a more noticeable shoe (like light cognac) or else perhaps even try a dark grey wool solid (though I've never done this and would have my reservations).
This option by Tyrwhitt is alright as well, and could be done with Navy, though I'd have to see it to know how I felt for sure:
http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirts/men's-dress-shirts/Berry-bengal-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FT195BER|||||482,||||||||post #6 of 127/20/12 at 7:25pmThread StarterThe suit I wear with it is navy. I think there was an illustration I liked in dressing the man but no jacket. Just shirt and tie.
I like this idea..
http://www.drakes-london.com/sale/8cm-ties/untipped-real-ancient-madder-8cm-silk-tie-2871post #7 of 127/21/12 at 2:37ampost #8 of 127/21/12 at 3:20ampost #9 of 127/21/12 at 3:21ampost #10 of 127/21/12 at 7:10am
If it was me, I'd go for a plain tie in plum or a light purple, maybe a knitted tie depending on the material of your suit and how it fits. Broad stipes would be good with complimentary colours. Tonight I am wearing an olive suit, with a green and white button down shirt, similar stripes to yours, a plain green knitted tie, slate colour shoes and belt.post #11 of 127/21/12 at 12:55pmpost #12 of 127/21/12 at 12:57pm
- What tie would you pair with a burgundy striped shirt?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 15 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 24 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 8 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central 11 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015