Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dsquared2 white 100% leather high-top athletic sneakers, 42.5/9.5 Last post on 2/27/15 at 5:28am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Neil Barrett white 100% leather athletic sneakers, 42/9 Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:01am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- [SOLD] Hogan grey/blue low-top 100% suede leather athletic sneakers, 42/9 Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:01am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Maison Martin Margiela 3-Strap Velcro High Top Black SIZE 45 Last post on 3/30/14 at 12:34pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- What socks to wear with sneakers/casual shoes? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:08am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
Last edited: 3/9/15
- One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the Stan SmithLast edited: 3/10/15
- Sneakers for Boot PeopleLast edited: 2/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Dressy sneakers, if such a thing exists - Page 3post #31 of 597/21/12 at 2:39am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 597/21/12 at 2:57ampost #33 of 597/21/12 at 10:49ampost #34 of 597/21/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by sailawayforever
I'm going to be traveling for about a year or more, and unfortunately can't carry more than one pair of shoes—that is, I only have space on my feet to wear them, since there's no space in my backpack.
I'm looking for a pair of sneakers that is somewhat dressy, or at least looks more stylish on the street than some regular set of sneakers.
- I want to be able to walk around for a while in them, so they have to be comfortable and somewhat durable.
- I want to be able to look pretty good while wearing them, so they can't be just a regular old pair o' Nikes.
Does such a mythical thing exist?post #35 of 597/21/12 at 5:55pm
Something for you to think about. They are not totally sneakers but, they can pass for it or for boots.post #36 of 597/28/12 at 4:07pmpost #37 of 597/28/12 at 4:09pmpost #38 of 597/28/12 at 4:34pmForget the sneakers, and get yourself some boots.
Get hiking or classic work boots, like something from Red Wings's more classic line. Waterproof them. When the sneakers get wet, you will be miserable. When you turn your ankle, you are going to be miserable. When you start slipping, you will be miserable. Good leather boots solve that, and you don't worry about durability. You could also go with something like a ranger moc. Any of those options should be extremely durable.
But anything that incorporates fabric will result in wet feet, and an uncomfortable trip. Waterproof is important, and those fabrics are unlikely to be all that durable to boot.
If I had to wear one pair of shoes for a year for a purpose like that, my all leather Lowa hiking boots would be it.post #39 of 597/28/12 at 4:55pmpost #40 of 597/28/12 at 11:29pmThe responses on this thread really give an interesting insight on how significantly different how classic and trendy styles are accepted in different regions.
Europe and Asia allow you to get away or rather, encourages more trendy, fashion styles while North America tends to prefer classic, conservative styles.post #41 of 597/29/12 at 3:17ampost #42 of 597/29/12 at 7:44amI wouldn't get anything too expensive. Since you will not be taking proper care of them (rotating, shoe trees, cleaning, polishing), an expensive pair will be destroyed by the end of your trip.
My reply will not be popular by SF standards, but Eccos might work. They are acceptable for business casual dress, yet have discreet rubber soles. They are very light weight and comfortable. You should be able to find a pair for about $150.post #43 of 597/29/12 at 1:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I wouldn't get anything too expensive. Since you will not be taking proper care of them (rotating, shoe trees, cleaning, polishing), an expensive pair will be destroyed by the end of your trip.
My reply will not be popular by SF standards, but Eccos might work. They are acceptable for business casual dress, yet have discreet rubber soles. They are very light weight and comfortable. You should be able to find a pair for about $150.
don't know ecco..I just did a tour on their website... but I must admit they look very plasticky...post #44 of 597/29/12 at 2:48pmpost #45 of 597/29/12 at 2:49pm
- Dressy sneakers, if such a thing exists
- One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the Stan Smith
- › Wedding tie with light/medium blue custom suit 53 seconds ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 9 minutes ago
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...