Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dsquared2 white 100% leather high-top athletic sneakers, 42.5 Last post on 2/27/15 at 5:28am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- [SOLD] Neil Barrett white 100% leather athletic sneakers, 42 Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:01am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- [SOLD] Hogan grey/blue low-top 100% suede athletic sneakers, 42 Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:01am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Maison Martin Margiela 3-Strap Velcro High Top Black SIZE 45 Last post on 3/30/14 at 12:34pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- What socks to wear with sneakers/casual shoes? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:08am in Classic Menswear
Tips of keeping a pair of premium sneakers nice
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: March 2015Last edited: 3/9/15
- One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the Stan SmithLast edited: 3/10/15
- Sneakers for Boot PeopleLast edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Dressy sneakers, if such a thing exists - Page 3post #31 of 597/21/12 at 2:39ampost #32 of 597/21/12 at 2:57ampost #33 of 597/21/12 at 10:49ampost #34 of 597/21/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by sailawayforever
I'm going to be traveling for about a year or more, and unfortunately can't carry more than one pair of shoes—that is, I only have space on my feet to wear them, since there's no space in my backpack.
I'm looking for a pair of sneakers that is somewhat dressy, or at least looks more stylish on the street than some regular set of sneakers.
- I want to be able to walk around for a while in them, so they have to be comfortable and somewhat durable.
- I want to be able to look pretty good while wearing them, so they can't be just a regular old pair o' Nikes.
Does such a mythical thing exist?post #35 of 597/21/12 at 5:55pm
Something for you to think about. They are not totally sneakers but, they can pass for it or for boots.post #36 of 597/28/12 at 4:07pmpost #37 of 597/28/12 at 4:09pmpost #38 of 597/28/12 at 4:34pmForget the sneakers, and get yourself some boots.
Get hiking or classic work boots, like something from Red Wings's more classic line. Waterproof them. When the sneakers get wet, you will be miserable. When you turn your ankle, you are going to be miserable. When you start slipping, you will be miserable. Good leather boots solve that, and you don't worry about durability. You could also go with something like a ranger moc. Any of those options should be extremely durable.
But anything that incorporates fabric will result in wet feet, and an uncomfortable trip. Waterproof is important, and those fabrics are unlikely to be all that durable to boot.
If I had to wear one pair of shoes for a year for a purpose like that, my all leather Lowa hiking boots would be it.post #39 of 597/28/12 at 4:55pmpost #40 of 597/28/12 at 11:29pmThe responses on this thread really give an interesting insight on how significantly different how classic and trendy styles are accepted in different regions.
Europe and Asia allow you to get away or rather, encourages more trendy, fashion styles while North America tends to prefer classic, conservative styles.post #41 of 597/29/12 at 3:17ampost #42 of 597/29/12 at 7:44amI wouldn't get anything too expensive. Since you will not be taking proper care of them (rotating, shoe trees, cleaning, polishing), an expensive pair will be destroyed by the end of your trip.
My reply will not be popular by SF standards, but Eccos might work. They are acceptable for business casual dress, yet have discreet rubber soles. They are very light weight and comfortable. You should be able to find a pair for about $150.post #43 of 597/29/12 at 1:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by msulinski
I wouldn't get anything too expensive. Since you will not be taking proper care of them (rotating, shoe trees, cleaning, polishing), an expensive pair will be destroyed by the end of your trip.
My reply will not be popular by SF standards, but Eccos might work. They are acceptable for business casual dress, yet have discreet rubber soles. They are very light weight and comfortable. You should be able to find a pair for about $150.
don't know ecco..I just did a tour on their website... but I must admit they look very plasticky...post #44 of 597/29/12 at 2:48pmpost #45 of 597/29/12 at 2:49pm
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 15 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 17 seconds ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 51 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 5 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...