or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ? - Page 11

post #151 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

We should start with designer ponchos  .  .  .

Do forgive me to say but I really hate poncho 's .

And I guess the cape is already shocking enough for some of our dear fellow - men.

Don't let us overask them, allrigth.........?

post #152 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post


Therefore you decided to do a bit of informal research for those designers.
Free of charge, of course.
mwink[1].gif

Now I do get the feeling we do understand each other again old chap ! But please don't tell it the others................!

post #153 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dials View Post


This. Also, 7) Anime characters. It seems like de rigeur for them; they tend to wear them as commonly as we wear jeans.

Now do give me a break please......... did I ever said I am against wearing jeans...............?

Ofcourse it is nothing special and very average and very common, but if you like to do so : please go for it !

But  choose then at least for a tigth model because wide models are now really out of place.

Not together with a  rolex watch please : it does not match ( do call me old -fashioned )

And the last advice of this weird old eccentric fool  : ofcourse you may wear them but if you are over 25 let the ruffled ones.

post #154 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

The upper supergirl wins at everything. The comparison strangely corresponds to the pitfalls of men's clothing, too.
1. Short jackets look like crap.
2. Collar gaps suck.
3. Higher pants rise rule.
4. Proper sleeve length.
5. More drape!

Now for a change : this time I totally I agree with you..........! (you don't have a "cape fetish" I hope...........? )

post #155 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dials View Post

Say what you will, but you gotta do respect whitepigeon's dedication and good humor in advancing the donning of capes. He's a bird of a different feather, all right, but he is persistent.

Do call me old - fashioned but I always stated one can also be a gentleman without Rolex - watch !

post #156 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post


Unfortunately you are not clear. I think the lack of English fluency deters you from writing valid arguments. Nevertheless, you should know to be more succinct- I think that is an important aspect of any language.
Furthermore, let me make a comparison to clear things up. Also, your effort deserves a better response.
~Capes work in movies because of the scenario in which they are used:
  • The portrayal of a time period when they were the norm.
  • The portrayal of a kick-ass movie character who has done some great deed, and the audience knows it.
  • Think about those two things. Neither applies to you (I'm not saying that you're not great. It's just that we don't know it).
  • I'd like to add that one failing to separate fiction and reality is stupid.
  • Extrapolate to the fact that the capes "work" in your photos due to a specific scenario:
    Riding a horse in uniform carrying a flag, the magnificent occasion of a wedding, a very bold fashion statement, a musical performance, etc.
~The few comments you've received in person does not portray the way you look accurately.
  • Honestly, I think those people were just being courteous to you. They don't care if you look ridiculous.
  • We don't care if you look ridiculous either, but we're (the forum) honest about it because we don't know you in person, and we can judge your attire more objectively.
  • This forum is a gathering of a small sub-group of society with probably more sense about fashion and clothing. I think you should pay more attention to what these guys say.
~Wearing what you like and being proud. Confidence and individuality are important. You should be proud of wearing what you like, regardless of people ridiculing you.
  • However, it's also important that a man knows how to walk that fine line. If you plan on being a part of society, it would be certainly a poor choice to completely neglect the majority opinion.
  • It is a fact that capes are very rare today. This makes them eccentric and extreme. A certain amount of eccentricity certainly can lead to charisma and elegance.
  • A cape is a huge cloth covers the majority of your body. When someone looks at you, they will see you as the cape man. Elegance is understated by definition. Since noone else wears a cape, it becomes overstated. It is no longer elegant in most situations.

A lot of movies you talked about ( Batman, Superman)  men wearing capes have a secret identity.

I do not. And I do wear capes. ( No I do not have a "cape-fetish" my doctor informed me happily  this morning since - and as long as -  I let my capes at home when the sun shines )

Now, this migth be an indication this weird old eccentric fool does not live totally in  the fantasy - world of movies while living at the same time in everyday reality.

 

But it seems now we have come in the reverse reality.

Men who 'd rather dy then to be seen wearing a cape (do forgive me if I am wrong but I thougth  you and your estimated collegue Hampton for instance belong to that category)

seem to have a secret identity. Why ?  Not necessary I think since you do not and will not ever wear capes. You have sworn it did n't you ?

Now is n't this the world upside - down ?

 

Forgive I am joking a little :

I was only trying to find out with who I was talking with, but the profiles are blanco .

May be I did something wrong.

Can be.

May be my digital skills also needs an update as my language - use and my fashiontaste apparently do. ( Oh God I really have work to do !)

 

But since you seem to  be a persisent "non - wearing cape - man"

( no worry , you do not have to wear a cape if you don't want to )

you do not have to hide - to  my humble opinion- (at least parts) of your identity any longer.

It 's safe her.

At least until now.

And certainly for persistent  "non - wearing cape men",

at least as far as I can oversee now.

(stay alert though : one cannot ever be sure if those men in capes are to be trusthed )

So far no one even came to kill me because I happen to wear a cape sometimes

( let there be no misunderstanding - can 't say it enough -:

only when it is cold, not with my wife in my bedroom ).

So no worry. 

If I am still safe, you certainly are,

since it appears you are not doing that kind of weird things I do

So let's take away for ever also that fear if that would bother you.

 

Now please do forgive me that I am joking a little.

Just playing a little, like others like to do  that with me. Allrigth ?

Have a good laugh, also about yourself.

Let 's keep laughing. Is n't that the most important thing at all in this - most of the time - sad world ?

 

So let me thank you now for your high quality feed back. I really appreciate it.

And I do admire your language - skill to say a lot of things in a few words.

I think this language - style belongs natural to you.

Therefore it is beautiful. So keep it that way.

 

I hope you do not mind though, if I will not take it over.

I will continue with my own language - style if you do not care. Explanation follows later.

 

But to understand a little bit better the things you write I need to know in what part of the world you are living.

And if your profession happens to be fashion - designer or fashion - seller.

And if your (fashion) point of reference happens to be Wall Street.

I mean with Wall Street : " the business world ".

 

Since the acceptance of fashion happens to be - I think you will agree this with me -  very contextual,

this can be useful information, to understand your reaction better.

Did not Karl Marx ever stated "Das Sein bestimmt dass Bewusstsein"

For this reason  I can probably state already now that you are rigth from your point of view.

 

Nothwithstanding this however, I suspect your perception of the world seems to be very dominated

by viewing only from one corner, that of your own world or "Sitz im Leben". ( Yes do reproach me the same, but at least I am trying to relevate mine's )

Nothing wrong with that by the way. I hear and learn also from you new things.

But do - if I may be honest with you -  not impose it on others as the only true vision of reality.

This migth be wrong. There are more corners, more contexts to view from.

 

In general, and then I will stop since this contribution will be already too long for you,

is my remark this : in my part of the world (Europe) fashion moves.

 

I emphasize that ( Europe)  because - once in the States -

I met Americans who did not even know how to find Europe on the world map

or  I met people who never heard of European countries

like Danmark, The Tjech Republic or the Netherlands.

 

Now I think you are an intelligent person

but I met already on this forum that some estimated collegues of you

did not know anything about fashionmovements in Europe.

Now that was really something new for me. Believe me.

( My doctor advised me already this morning to stop with Style Forum

since I had had too many shocks the last few days )

 

The European designers are always busy with innovating fashion.

Now this has  - for instance -  to do with the efforts of getting the cape back in men's fashion.

( Have a look if you like at the picture album Fall/Winter 2012)

All  I wouId like to say for this moment is this  : this item  we are talking about happens to be a bit more then a hobby of a very individualistic, weird, eccentric, old fool.

 

Wishing you joy this Monday.


Edited by Whitepigeon - 7/23/12 at 11:13am
post #157 of 172
Less breaks, less yadda yadda, more succinct writing and I may read this thread. And fwiw, I have never seen a person in the NL wearing a cape.
post #158 of 172
Whitepidgeon has posted 13,000+ words and ~36 pages at 12 point font in this thread.
post #159 of 172

Capes became obsolete with the invention of the overcoat.

post #160 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Less breaks, less yadda yadda, more succinct writing and I may read this thread. And fwiw, I have never seen a person in the NL wearing a cape.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Less breaks, less yadda yadda, more succinct writing and I may read this thread. And fwiw, I have never seen a person in the NL wearing a cape.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Less breaks, less yadda yadda, more succinct writing and I may read this thread. And fwiw, I have never seen a person in the NL wearing a cape.

They only show up in the very deep of the nigth in narrow streets when there is a lot of fog.

 

No, let's be a moment serious with you : women occassionaly do. Men not.

That 's why I was investigating via this thread what kind of obstacles there are for cape - liking men to buy or wear one.

Now, read this thread when your holiday is over ( you are a student are not you ?) and you know a lot more about these obstacles for men.( Don 't underestimate them.....!)

Last but not least : the new re -styled mancapes will come in specialised shops ( Dolce & Gabbana, Jill Sanders etc.) after summer.

I can imagine that in your lovely city of Hamburg there will be such shops, since it is the second city of Germany ( love Germany : lived and worked there for years )

"Google" and you will find where.

post #161 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Whitepidgeon has posted 13,000+ words and ~36 pages at 12 point font in this thread.

Really ? No more ?  My dear fellow, did it not occur to you how much one has to explain to our dear - fellow men for the simple fact of liking a cape  ?

post #162 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

^ Capes used to be fine because they were the norm. They went away for a reason- likely impracticality in today's world.

Spoke to my gramps who wore capes as a young man. Revolving doors. And car doors. Darn cape was always getting caught in them. The modern world's conveniences. Phooey!
post #163 of 172

I would definitely wear one too. They can look really good, although there is a danger you might get sent to a mental hospital 

post #164 of 172

I mean really dood, a cape? Come on.

post #165 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post


Spoke to my gramps who wore capes as a young man. Revolving doors. And car doors. Darn cape was always getting caught in them. The modern world's conveniences. Phooey!

Come on..........!

Curzon can do better than this ( at least if I read his profile)

You seem to me a civilised person and educated person.

So I guess you are not stupid are not you ? ( Please tell if I am wrong, than we can stop this)

Mature men have learned to drink coffee  in such a way that they will not spoil their suit.

I am sure you are old and wise enough ( only if you like it ofcourse)

to learn to move in a cape ( yes, you migth learn to be alert in certain situations, but you will survive and your cape too)

I am sure : if you like it, you can do it.

The problem is not  that  you cannot do it. Yes you can but......do you will ??

 

Thus remains :

1) The problem is that you don 't like to wear a cape

( than I say : do not do it because you will not feel comfortable in it : don't do it no problem )

2 )Or : you do like it but you migth have fear may be  because you migth look a little bit different than others.

 

No matter what is the case. If is and stays a matter of "liking" or not. Best advice : do it only if you like and you will learn how to move.

 

Enjoy your evening

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ?