or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ? - Page 9

post #121 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

CAPES ARE FOR THE BIRDS
END THIS

I'm surprised this thread is still going...

post #122 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post


Whitepigeon's scale is more simple:
1) Those who don't run to agree with Whitepigeon. (cape HATERS)
6) Whitepigeon. (champion of the caped world)
biggrin.gif

You do give me too much honour my old chap........! 

post #123 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkweems View Post

The Cape Spectrum
1) Hate them, will absolutely not wear them. Would likely burn them. Would perhaps even set fire to them whilst on the shoulders of someone else.
2) indifferent. Couldn't give a dingo's arse about who wears them or why. What's a cape?
3) Forced. Lawyers in some countries. Staff at theme parks. Actors. When part of a ghilli suit. (it got the job done)
4) interested. Would notice and appreciate a cape that is worn well.
5) Experimental. Fashion forward people who tend to give anything a go. Can be confused with hipsters or people that try too hard.
6) Fetishists. Wearing, writing about or discussing capes leads to heightened arousal and pleasure. Sometimes aided by voluntary participants who believe they are part of an innocuous conversation but in reality are obliging players in the game/fantasy.
Whitepigeon, what is your agenda here? I think people don't wear capes because they just don't wear capes. Enjoy wearing yours. At some pointsin the future, more people will wear capes...enjoy that time, and at some point, even fewer people will wear capes. C'est la vie.

This. Also, 7) Anime characters. It seems like de rigeur for them; they tend to wear them as commonly as we wear jeans.
post #124 of 172
Capes look better on women.


LindaCarter2.jpg

slater.jpg
post #125 of 172

1000

post #126 of 172
The upper supergirl wins at everything. The comparison strangely corresponds to the pitfalls of men's clothing, too.
1. Short jackets look like crap.
2. Collar gaps suck.
3. Higher pants rise rule.
4. Proper sleeve length.
5. More drape!
post #127 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkweems View Post

The Cape Spectrum
1) Hate them, will absolutely not wear them. Would likely burn them. Would perhaps even set fire to them whilst on the shoulders of someone else.
2) indifferent. Couldn't give a dingo's arse about who wears them or why. What's a cape?
3) Forced. Lawyers in some countries. Staff at theme parks. Actors. When part of a ghilli suit. (it got the job done)
4) interested. Would notice and appreciate a cape that is worn well.
5) Experimental. Fashion forward people who tend to give anything a go. Can be confused with hipsters or people that try too hard.
6) Fetishists. Wearing, writing about or discussing capes leads to heightened arousal and pleasure. Sometimes aided by voluntary participants who believe they are part of an innocuous conversation but in reality are obliging players in the game/fantasy.
Whitepigeon, what is your agenda here? I think people don't wear capes because they just don't wear capes. Enjoy wearing yours. At some pointsin the future, more people will wear capes...enjoy that time, and at some point, even fewer people will wear capes. C'est la vie.

 

Good heavens : do you really think  there is something existing as cape - fetishists ?  

May be you are right but personally I did never heard of it.

Do call me old fashioned but now I have learned something new...............!

Are they dangerous you think ........?

 

But thanks anyway for your spectrum.

 

My agenda ?

 

My dear fellow read the opening contribution of this thread and you will know it again.

It was all about : what does men prevent from buying or wearing capes today ,

since some designers are trying to bring back this re - styled and renewed fashion - item in men's garderobe.

 

Do we remember it now again ?

 

Do forgive me I am sometimes a little bit joking :

So far I have come to the conclusion this thread has shown there is really existing a category of men

who seem to be very resistant and reluctant to this change in style and fashion. 

Never mind. They probably migth be resistant to more, if not any change of some importance in daily life.

 

Should we be worried about this ?

I do not think so.

Psychologically it is most of the time all based on fear I guess..........

But let us not make this the subject of this thread.

 

There are also people who like to believe the sun is still turning around the earth

and that this is a fixed truth.

Let them.  You won't convert them.

And if you should convert them : you will probably not make them happier.

 

So let them.

 

I am not directing myself to this category of men ( in your spectrum category number 1 )

because we will not ever come closer to each other.

That is, as far as I am concerned,  not necessary too by the way.

 Please do forgive for saying so but personally I do not wish to belong to that category,

but let's stay good friends with them and why should not I wish them all the luck in the world.....?

 

I am talking about - and directing myself to -  category 4 and 5 in your spectrum.

 

Those fellow men among us who are really open for some change and new experiments in general ( and in particular also in fashion )

and have to confront some difficulties and obstacles when desiring to integrate a cape in their wardrobe.

 

There is thread all about.

 

So far this thread has proven not to be unuseful in my vision

even if it seems to irritate some people. (  My advice do not read this "nonsense" : go to another thread) 

 

Let us restrict to your category number 4 and 5.

 

This thread has brougth to ligth a lot of things which truly migth be seen as an obstacle for men open to buy or wear a cape for today's use.

We talked about the lack of usefulnes of capes ( indeed : do not choose for a cape for practical usefulnes in the first place, with may be the one possible exception of the raincape)

We talked about the lack of availability - at least till now - of capes for men in the shops;

We talked about that it is necessary to learn to move in a cape to prevent you migth get struck in to something;

We talked about the wrong and ( partly very childisch ) associations and reactions some people have when seeing a man wearing a cape;

We talked about the lack of examples on the internet and/or the social media of how to combine a cape with other clothes as to obtain a good combination

We talked about  do 's and don't 's when trying out fashion - experiments in general and also with wearing a cape as being a man

And ofcourse we had some good laughs about some reactions.

 

The last thing is necessary too because it sometimes almost seems there is no other subject that divide our male population more as the opinions about men wearing capes.

Ofcourse there are also other things in the world which are important.

 

Now, may I do a proposal dear fellow men of this forum ?

 

I suggest to all contributors of this thread they read very well your useful spectrum.

Read it and estimate which category you belong to.

If it happens to be category 1,2 or 3 please do not waiste time and energy any longer.

Go to another thread. At least for the moment this migth not be your subject.

But do come back and be our guest the moment you have something serious to tell.

Then you have our attention and we are all eye and ear. Be sure of that.

 

And also if you happen to belong to category 6 ( Good heavens! Do they really exist.......?)

Enjoy whatever fetish you like, but we are not talking in this thread about how you can get sexually aroused.

 

If we can manage to get rid of the cape - hating men who are only trying to make the subject ridiculous

we reached a lot today.

Let's continue with men, modern and open to the world and in for changes in general but also in fashion,

who like to talk seriously about buying and wearing the new re-styled mancape for today's use.

 

After all there is this thread meant for.

Wishing you all a pleasant sunday.

post #128 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitMyself View Post

Capes look better on women.
LindaCarter2.jpg
slater.jpg

You never liked "Zorro"...........?

post #129 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yywwyy View Post

Wow... you really love capes. Now that they've gone out of fashion for a very long time (in terms of fashion), capes can look good in movies and certainly with a combination of attire to match. To dress that way is impractical for most people, not to mention that it looks very eccentric (This will be bad for most situations), regardless of its elegance or perceived beauty. And the way you wear a cape-- it just looks really out of place. It yells "I have a cape fetish" instead of displaying what you seem to want to portray. No matter how much you love capes, it is undeniable that elegance in menswear integrates looking natural. Instead of blending well with your outfit, surrounding, and your activities in the photos, the cape makes you look like comical in my eyes. You may think we simply have different tastes, but I think one must be able to distinguish "bad taste" and a "good sense." This is an important reason for certain designers being widely popular, being able to "bring in" certain fads to fashion by pleasing a sense of beauty that many people share (that is not an easy thing to do).
Anyway, I think that if you like capes so much, you should study it with the intent to make it look natural with an everyday, practical outfit. Who knows, one day, you may become a trendsetter yourself. But don't try to reason why people don't seem to accept it for how you're wearing it-- it's pointless.

Oh dear, oh dear what a lot of terrible misunderstandings we have to confront with.

But let's take it as seriously as we can.

Here we go ( again ) :

 

Yes I do like capes. But not uncondtionedly.

As every fashion - item that has been lost for a while,

it can most of the time not immediately brougth back or  be integrated the way it was.

 

When so, fashion - items do need very often a re - styling for today 's use,

may be perhaps indeed to prevent we all look like Dracula within some time

( be alert : you never know when it starts to be a hit )

 

Now I do have a question to you : if - like you say - capes can look good in some movies - 

why should not they look good - yes also by men - in everyday life ?

 

How strange by the way - since you seem to happen to be a movie - lover -

that it apparently never occured to you that a lot of fashion is also  inspired by movies.

Why so separating the two worlds ?

I do not think you are stupid are not you ?

Nothing wrong with Batman or Superman but  do not you know another movie than only those ones ?

I do mean other movies where capes are weared by men who do look stylish, elegant and charming,

if not to say extremely well - dressed ?

 

Eccentric ? Why ?

 

Believe me, I am a man who sometimes wears a cape for pleasure.

I never met someone who said to me I was eccentric.

Again - and it can aparently not be said enough to all those cape - fearing men I suppose -

(but lets continue to say it because it migth be  good news for some of them)

It is always about the ensemble, the combination of clothes you choose that people judge.

It is always about the whole. The total combination.

If the total combination is chosen well, you can today even wear a cape I can assure you.

If they regard you as eccentric there is something wrong with the chosen combination you wear,

( or - occasionally -  with the taste or the eyes someone  is judging : this migth need an update)

not necessarily because there is a cape is involved.

On the contrary : I never met someone who considered a well combined fashioncombination including wearing a cape as eccentric or ridiculous.

I think It will be more likely you will be praised for it.

At least : that is my experience.

 

The reason ? Exactly : because of its elegance and / or its perceived beauty.

You said it yourself.

 

Now I think you are a clever person.

A person who perceives beauty or elegance in the way someone dresses

will not say he ( or she) is a weird, eccentric fool.

Probably not. I think at least that you will agree with me. 

 

Most people do not care by the way a bloody damn ( sorry for the expression) about  the way people  are dressed when they walk on the street.

They do not see it because they are not interested in it.

Most of the time they do not even see if you wear this or you wear that.

It migth be good news to those ones among us who do like to wear a cape but do not dare out of fear how people will react.

Most do not react because they do not care at all.

If you want to draw attention on the street, you migth be more succesfull when you go naked, than dressed in a cape.

But let's put that subject aside for the moment.

 

"Capes are not chosen by men because they are impractical".

We have confronted this before.

Yes, probably you are rigth with the one possible exception of the raincape, which I have said already.

But it is still not forbidden to wear a cape for pleasure, because for the reason you can represent yourself well in it in a well chosen combination.

 

Am I out of place then or any man who choses to wear a cape ?

If the weather is like today, with a lot of sunshine and high temperatures probably yes.

For the same reason I will not choose to wear a furcoat  today.

Probably you will not blame me for that.

 

Ofcourse I do agree with you that - if you do not want to look weird or eccentric - you must choose well what you wear on what kind of occassion.

And yes, I do advice to let the weatherforecast be of influence when you choose what you will wear today for going out.

For practical and for fashionable reasons.

And further : no hot pants in the church ( do call me old fashioned ) and - if possible -no nikes and ruffled jeans when visiting the opera,

no sportoutfit at the new years reception, no furcoats on the beach when the sparrows fall off from the roof because of the heat of the sun etc.

 

What I wanted to say is : you cannot say that this or that is in general out of place. It is always dependent from the circumstances.

And ofcourse, capes are not always the best choice under any circumstance or  in any place or by any occassion.

But on the other side you cannot say : capes are in general  - under all sort of circumstances - out of place.

That seems to me a bridge too far, if I may say so.

Remains the fact that, apart from the existing of a kind of common sense notion about what is appropriate to use for dress and what not ,

people do have different tastes, and this may - as far as I am concerned - exist.

God meant it probably that way. Why should everybody dress the same ?

 

"Elegance in mens wear integrates looking natural"

Well said. And I agree.

That 's why probably someone said to me she loved me seeing while wearing a cape : "because its natural to you"  she said.

Indeed it was a "she", an older lady. but not long ago even a group of teenagerboys told me they liked it.

in general women and young people are less conservative and less frigthened for new trends.

A lot of mature and older men on the contrary ( this forum proves it also) 

are far more conservative and afraid for changes, also when it fashion concerns.

But there are also among them who are more open to new trends and have a more modern way of thinking and living. 

Well either the old lady and the teenagersboys are rigth (who like my fashionchoice)

or you are rigth when you consider my fashionchoice as "comical".

 

Well then - suppose it is you who is rigth -  at least the biggest "cape - haters" among us

must have to admit that men wearing capes - although they look in their eyes ridiculous -

still are useful if only for the reason  they cause a good laugh by people.

But probably I have to find out something else to make people laugh 

since I never met this so far on the street while wearing a cape.

So who 's here out of place ?

 

I am already under the suspicion of being gay ( or under the suspicion of  being afraid to be considered as "gay")

I can advice now all men who are afraid for this : do not wear capes ! ( unless you - like me - do not care : never mind what people think, they think anyhow)

The accusation that I have a "cape - fetish" is a totally new one.  

Probably  I need an update but what is that then for heavens sake ?

Do call me old fashioned but  I never heard of it before.

Do you really think it exist ?

What kind of movies are you visiting then ?

I am glad I can have sex with my wife without capes.

Let's keep it that way.

 

Then about "good sense" and "bad taste" ( or shall we just call it "different taste ? ")

Let's thank God there are also designers who dare to challenge dominant opinions or dominant trends in existing fashion.

Or designers who do not want at all cause "majority-trends"

but direct themselves only to limited groups or  "minority - trends."

 

Did it never occur to you by the way that all new trends and changes - especailly in fashion - are confronted with reluctance and resistance ?

Who of us do remember the introduction of the mini - skirts in the sixties ?

Anyway, all trends start by a small group of people who begin to like new things.

These people migth even be "men" and these things migth even  be "capes" for a change.

And yes, some men - like me - do like to wear capes. Search some help if you do not manage to get over it. 

 

I applaude for the designers in fashion who really try something new with the risk - indeed - of being accused for being out of place and  God knows what more.

In my vison they bring really innovation or at least variation in fashion and in the streets.

That every fashion - innovation ( for instance the re - introduction of the cape for men) does not become immediately a hit

or is directly taken over by the majority of people should - in my humble opinion - not be a problem.

 

Let's hope there will be now and in the future also trends which are not shared by the majority of people.

It keeps - for instance -  wearing a cape as a man indeed special

and therefore elegant and beautiful on appropriate occassions.

Let's keep it that way.

 

For that reason - although it is probably kindly meant -  I do not have to be a trendsetter.

 

Did I make myself clear ?

Enjoy your sunday.


Edited by Whitepigeon - 7/22/12 at 8:45am
post #130 of 172
There is no way a troll would go to this much effort, and this scares me.
post #131 of 172
Greetings friend Whitepigeon!

You make a persuasive case for capes. Rarely do we see posts of more than one paragraph.

Currently you are unique, a character so to speak. If the masses were to don capes you'd be just an ordinary face in the crowd. Is this what you want?

To change the subject, is there anything else in your wardrobe you feel as passionately about? Dub monks? Pocket squares? Bow ties? Size of turn ups?
post #132 of 172
Whitepigeon: you should come clean and register as an affiliate vendor. That would help you regain some respect around here.

Quote:
Oh dear, oh dear

blahblahblahHANDSOME MALE MODELS IN CAPESblahblahblahblahbl
blahhblahYOU FILTHY CAPE HATERblahblahblahblahblablah
lahblahblahblahblahBORING AND PREDICTABLEahblahblahblah
blahblahblahSO POORblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl
lahblaCALL ME OLD FASHIONEDblahblhblahblahblahblah
ahblahBATMAN AND I hblahblahblahblah
blblaGAY ZORROlahblah
WHY DO YOU HATE CAPES SO MUCHlahblah

blahblahbhblaPLEASE SPARE ME SOME ATTENTIONblahblahblah
blahlahblahWHITEPIGEON AND THE CAPE CRUSADElahbblahhblahblahahl
hblahblaI LIKE THEM IN 150 CM LENGHThblahblahblahblah


Did I make myself clear ?

Yes you did, long ago.
post #133 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post

Whitepigeon: you should come clean and register as an affiliate vendor. That would help you regain some respect around here.
Yes you did, long ago.

I migth be wrong but did not you merely quoted yourself ..........? Then I have to say ( again) do not spend your time or energy to this thread it is ( indeed) "elegantly wasted". 

post #134 of 172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Greetings friend Whitepigeon!
You make a persuasive case for capes. Rarely do we see posts of more than one paragraph.
Currently you are unique, a character so to speak. If the masses were to don capes you'd be just an ordinary face in the crowd. Is this what you want?
To change the subject, is there anything else in your wardrobe you feel as passionately about? Dub monks? Pocket squares? Bow ties? Size of turn ups?

I explained already above in another reaction

 why I do not feel the need to be a trendsetter.

I was just investigating if men  who do like to wear capes

have to face obstacles when they want to buy or to wear a cape.

This, not because I want that to happen, but because of the fact

quite a few fashion - designers like to re - introduce them. That's all.

 

Oh yes and I do like many other fashion - items, especially italian shoes.

post #135 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitepigeon View Post

I was just investigating if men  who do like to wear capes
have to face obstacles when they want to buy or to wear a cape.
This, not because I want that to happen, but because of the fact
quite a few fashion - designers like to re - introduce them. That's all.

Therefore you decided to do a bit of informal research for those designers.
Free of charge, of course.
mwink[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ?