or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie....................... - Page 17

post #241 of 434
Fine not to like it, but there's never been a period, even in the U.S., when sportcoats were worn exclusively with BDs.
post #242 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

There's never been a period, even in the U.S., when sportcoats were worn exclusively with BDs.

But, is it a button-down if you don't button it down?

confused.gif
post #243 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

Me too. I need to find something that looks solid from three feet or so but causes your eyes to bleed if you get any closer.
This could be very handy in crowded places where personal space is at a premium like Brazil or airport security..

This is hard to do with vision, but easy to do with smell.
post #244 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

shog[1].gif
I actually don't own a single button-down. Not a fan. As for the tie, it's barely a pattern, but matter of taste, I guess. I have a few knits, but don't wear them often, as I'm a big dude, and they always look too skinny to me. Lastly, the square is a Hober madder print, and I love it. So there.

No -- I actually agree with you. My reaction was in response to skinny goomba's reply. I never wear button down collars either, and I see no reason why you can't wear a dress shirt (non-button down collar) with a sport coat and tie. To each his own, but I would never wear a button down collar with a tie.
post #245 of 434
You guys just like to disagree with me, which is fine. I would have to amend that statement, that the shirt is simply too formal in some aspect to look appropriate with that jacket IMO. Come to think of it, I've worn spread collars with a sport coat, but very rarely anything with a very structured, tall collar.
post #246 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

This is hard to do with vision, but easy to do with smell.

You have apparently never been through airport security, not even in the priority line.
post #247 of 434
collars like that with odd jackets are common in europe. Really the southern Italians are the only Europeans I ever see wearing BDs with ties. You just don't see it in France or England.
post #248 of 434
I just got back from Rome/Florence friday and don't actually recall anyone wearing a tie, who didn't work in one of the shops. Most wore white linen shirts with their top 3 buttons undone.

Most of the display rigs I recall having less rigidly structured collars.

Off-topic is was a breath of fresh air by comparison to the sandal wearing Americans I'm usually accustomed to seeing.
post #249 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

suit looks solid

Click to enlarge. It's a very fine pinstripe.
post #250 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

You guys just like to disagree with me, which is fine. I would have to amend that statement, that the shirt is simply too formal in some aspect to look appropriate with that jacket IMO. Come to think of it, I've worn spread collars with a sport coat, but very rarely anything with a very structured, tall collar.

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and coming from a senior member such as yourself -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.
post #251 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I just got back from Rome/Florence friday and don't actually recall anyone wearing a tie. Most wore white linen shirts with their top 3 buttons undone.
.

With Italian horns? devil.gif
post #252 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and in an F. Corbera thread nonetheless -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.
Right, which is my job, you dumb fucking n00bs, so butt out mad.gif
post #253 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Right, which is my job, you dumb fucking n00bs, so butt out mad.gif

Like no patterned linen? confused.gif
post #254 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and in an F. Corbera thread nonetheless -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.

I did not start this thread, although it might seem so because of my regal bearing.
post #255 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Like no patterned linen? confused.gif
hell yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................